Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well there i definately disagree and i do the drive through there quite often. It is 30 miles from Christiana DE (as dense as much of Houston or Dallas (within the city limits) to White Marsh MD (again well within the Baltimore metro and again as dense much of the areas within the city limits) And that isnt including areas beyond that are mostly developed (Perryville, Joppaville, Harve De Grace etc.)

I am not trying to say TX isnt growing and fast but it isnt even close.

Oshami talked about the 4-5 hour drive; that is Boston to Philly (with traffic) and a little place with 25 million people in the middle.

Mega Region - yes - Economic Powerhouse - Yes

Megalopolis - Not even close - decades and decades away; and i can appreciate the 50 minute flight - I am in Chicago on that flight from where I live, But I am not trying to include that in the NE region

And Southwest just fine here against the Acela. And there is shuttle service galore connecting the NE cities; however because of proximity and rail the shuttle flight service skips the next city. I am not trying to go on overkill here but the discussions of Kileen development making a megalopolis in its current form; no more like a "miniapolis"

Do you guys realize there is basically a city (i think of as towns here) the size of Ft Worth (no disrespect to Ft Worth) every 15-20 miles along almost all of this stretch (Big ones capitilized little ones not from the south)

tysons corner
alexandria/rossly/arlington
DC
bethesda
columbia
Baltimore

actually some space here

wilmington
chester
Philadelphia
camden
trenton
new brunswick
newark
jersey city
NYC
new rochelle
stanford
bridgeport
new haven
hartford

some space here

providence
Boston

in addition the amount of infill to get to Richmond and Norfolk is less than in TX and VA is growing at a pretty good clip

The population differance is nearly 4 times the size and covers an area smaller than the TX triangle

Allright enough of rant; but honestly I think discussing them in the same terms is unrealistic at least for another 50 years

sorry if i got all "city" on you
Haha I bolded the part that I think you were referencing something I said? Haha, my names Danny.

It won't be realistic even in 50 years, lets not forget that BosWash is growing too, the gap will stay the same. Texas is growing fast but I think BosWash is growing faster, right?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Haha I bolded the part that I think you were referencing something I said? Haha, my names Danny.

It won't be realistic even in 50 years, lets not forget that BosWash is growing too, the gap will stay the same. Texas is growing fast but I think BosWash is growing faster, right?

sorry about the mis-typing (I cant spell anyway) but hello Danny

maybe in absolute (and if so only by a little) but no where close to the rate in TX

Old 04-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
sorry about the mis-typing (I cant spell anyway) but hello Danny

maybe in absolute (and if so only by a little) but no where close to the rate in TX
The way I see it, DC is moving very fast as well, the economy has really picked up faster than expected, NYC metro adds 104,000 people every year. Boston is gaining quickly too.

Even with the Texas triangle growing as fast as it is, they still have to play catch up, by at least half of a century's worth of people. We're down by, like 13-14 Million right?

That's a very large number, and it's possible, but it's going to take a very long time. Where as the BosWash corridor isn't declining in growth, it's still growing, and it's not growing slowly, I would describe it as a average amount of growth. That's still a lot to pick up on.

My point being is, yes it can become a major megalopolis corridor but it won't be on the same level as BosWash.

Hello to you too!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:34 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:

Houston and Dallas growth combined is growing faster than the Boswosh let alone the Texas Triangle.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 50 years it won't catch up to BosWash but it don't have to. I didn't know being a Megalopolis means it has to pass or be the same size as the BosWash. The BosWash term was coin during the 60s when this region had to be about half the population it is now. So I say the BosWash region was 30 million people during the 60s, that's actually a little more than half. If the Texas Triangle is 20 million now. It’s more like 15-30 years off not 50.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
The way I see it, DC is moving very fast as well, the economy has really picked up faster than expected, NYC metro adds 104,000 people every year. Boston is gaining quickly too.

Even with the Texas triangle growing as fast as it is, they still have to play catch up, by at least half of a century's worth of people. We're down by, like 13-14 Million right?

That's a very large number, and it's possible, but it's going to take a very long time. Where as the BosWash corridor isn't declining in growth, it's still growing, and it's not growing slowly, I would describe it as a average amount of growth. That's still a lot to pick up on.

My point being is, yes it can become a major megalopolis corridor but it won't be on the same level as BosWash.

Hello to you too!

the region of the megalopolis has approximately 60 million; so closer to 40 million down

Plus realistically the growth rate as it stands in that area is not sustainable; even to maintain the volume growth for another 30 years is unlikely - trends and migration patterns change. With the groth comes other issues and increases to COL that make the area more attractive today. Overall migration in population can be more transcient than in the past; not as tied to geography and seaports, railroads etc.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Well there i definately disagree and i do the drive through there quite often. It is 30 miles from Christiana DE (as dense as much of Houston or Dallas (within the city limits) to White Marsh MD (again well within the Baltimore metro and again as dense much of the areas within the city limits) And that isnt including areas beyond that are mostly developed (Perryville, Joppaville, Harve De Grace etc.)

I am not trying to say TX isnt growing and fast but it isnt even close.

Oshami talked about the 4-5 hour drive; that is Boston to Philly (with traffic) and a little place with 25 million people in the middle.
Well you have to remember the Boswash is a connection of cities vertically; the Texas Triangle is a Triangle. On the I35 corridor; The distance between the cities is much similar to the distance between cities in the NE; except less populated areas.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well you have to remember the Boswash is a connection of cities vertically; the Texas Triangle is a Triangle. On the I35 corridor; The distance between the cities is much similar to the distance between cities in the NE; except less populated areas.
That and the fact that 25 Million is like the population of the whole state of Texas...

Old 04-22-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

huh? Houston and Dallas are the distance of Boston to Philly

just imagine NYC in the middle of those two (dallas and Houston) and throw in Baltimore and DC and you are getting closer; in fact given that distance, Pittsburgh would be the same but no one even thinks about pittsburgh even remotely being part it

seriously the vast majority of the densest populated metro of NY and Philly would fit in either of those single metros; mening placing them on the texas map as they sit now

Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
huh? Houston and Dallas are the distance of Boston to Philly

just imagine NYC in the middle of those two (dallas and Houston) and throw in Baltimore and DC and you are getting closer; in fact given that distance, Pittsburgh would be the same but no one even thinks about pittsburgh even remotely being part it

seriously the vast majority of the densest populated metro of NY and Philly would fit in either of those single metros; mening placing them on the texas map as they sit now
The distance between Boston and Washington DC is over 440 miles. The distance between Houston and Dallas is around 240 miles. Not sure what you mean by the bolded.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The distance between Boston and Washington DC is over 440 miles. The distance between Houston and Dallas is around 240 miles. Not sure what you mean by the bolded.
263 Miles from Downtown Houston to Downtown Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City