Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The cities are much further apart

Example

NYC to Philly 46 miles
Philly to Baltimore 60 miles
Baltimore to DC 30 miles

Plus the population concentration is not even close- So yes it very well could but probaly would need to triple the propulation to get there
According to Google it is 100 miles from NYC to Philly
Philly to Baltimore is 93 miles
Baltimore to DC is 36 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There are a couple more potential megalopolis areas in America. California is one, the I-85 megalopolis is another. I've heard of Chi-Pitts becoming one in the next few decades. But yes, The Texas triangle has some potential.
I was about to say the same. There are several studies out there that suggest at least ten different megaregions in America. Very interesting dialogue and its something I think decision makers need to pay attention to so that responsible decisions can be made.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:44 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post

The closest border of the city of Philadelphia and the city of NY are 46 miles on a straight line

Philadelphia (pronounced /ˌfɪləˈdɛlfiə/) is the largest city in Pennsylvania and the sixth-most-populous city in the United States.
In 2008, the population of the city proper was estimated to be over 1.54 million,[3] while the Greater Philadelphia metropolitan area's population of 5.8 million made it the country's fifth-largest. The city, which lies approximately 46 miles southwest of New York City,[4] is the nation's fourth-largest urban area by population and its fourth-largest consumer media market as ranked by the Nielsen Media Research.

And those figures may be from city hall to city halls but wrong actually - the other thing is the MSAs have 0 miles between - they are continuous; only an imaginary census line

And it's not as if these cities cover huge foortprints (Philly is 146 sq miles - or basically 12x12 though is longer north to south than it is wide east to west)

Last edited by kidphilly; 04-22-2010 at 12:57 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post

And 71 miles Philly to Baltimore

19.7 miles Baltimore to DC

all on a straight line

Old 04-22-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And 71 miles Philly to Baltimore

19.7 miles Baltimore to DC

all on a straight line
On a side note about these borders, I wonder how do they decide how far a city is. I'm not sure if it is based on the closest border. For example, on I-85 here in Charlotte exit 49 is the Concord Mills exit, which is obviously in Concord,NC. But as you drive down there is a sign that sign that says Concord,NC is 7 miles away. Go figure.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
On a side note about these borders, I wonder how do they decide how far a city is. I'm not sure if it is based on the closest border. For example, on I-85 here in Charlotte exit 49 is the Concord Mills exit, which is obviously in Concord,NC. But as you drive down there is a sign that sign that says Concord,NC is 7 miles away. Go figure.

It is the closest point on a straight line - cool google app

Gmaps Pedometer

Old 04-22-2010, 12:14 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
I'm assuming that the sign for Concord, NC is the distance to the Downtown area rather than the actual city limits. Concord Mills is barely in the city limits itself.

Another example would be freeway signage for Houston when you're well within the city limits of Houston itself. Mostly seen on freeways approaching Downtown Houston before you hit the 610 loop. I see this quite often in Los Angeles, San Diego, or any other city that has lots of square mileage.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I'm assuming that the sign for Concord, NC is the distance to the Downtown area rather than the actual city limits. Concord Mills is barely in the city limits itself.

Another example would be freeway signage for Houston when you're well within the city limits of Houston itself. Mostly seen on freeways approaching Downtown Houston before you hit the 610 loop. I see this quite often in Los Angeles, San Diego, or any other city that has lots of square mileage.
I see the same thing. I find it quite odd. But back to the Texas Triangle. I definitely see this as a megaregion that already exists. People tend to think that if an area is not like BosWash then it is not a megaregion. It's just that BosWash is just so huge that hardly any region in the world can match up to it. Someone listed some extremely populated areas in the world, but a megaregion needs to be populated (urban atmosphere pretty much) and economic clout.

If there is rural pockets in between urban areas that does not make it less megareion-ness. Often these rural areas are influenced and connected to these urban areas just like a suburb is connected to the principal city of a metro area.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:22 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
I see the same thing. I find it quite odd. But back to the Texas Triangle. I definitely see this as a megaregion that already exists. People tend to think that if an area is not like BosWash then it is not a megaregion. It's just that BosWash is just so huge that hardly any region in the world can match up to it. Someone listed some extremely populated areas in the world, but a megaregion needs to be populated (urban atmosphere pretty much) and economic clout.

If there is rural pockets in between urban areas that does not make it less megareion-ness. Often these rural areas are influenced and connected to these urban areas just like a suburb is connected to the principal city of a metro area.

The rural gaps between DC-Baltimore and Philadelphia-NYC are a lot smaller than the gaps between Dallas and Houston.

I could see a megalopolis develop between DFW and Austin and SA long before one developing between Dallas and Houston. I'd even say that the parts of California between the Bay Area and LA-Santa Barbara have more population centers.

I say that the Texas Triangle can be a megaregion, but it won't be a megalopolis anytime soon. I guess that's why I've always been so ambivalent about considering the I-85/Piedmont Corridor a true "megalopolis" anytime soon.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
The rural gaps between DC-Baltimore and Philadelphia-NYC are a lot smaller than the gaps between Dallas and Houston.

I could see a megalopolis develop between DFW and Austin and SA long before one developing between Dallas and Houston. I'd even say that the parts of California between the Bay Area and LA-Santa Barbara have more population centers.

I say that the Texas Triangle can be a megaregion, but it won't be a megalopolis anytime soon. I guess that's why I've always been so ambivalent about considering the I-85/Piedmont Corridor a true "megalopolis" anytime soon.

I would agree the 12 mile stretch in Northern MD from Elkton to Perryville feels pretty rural to me; but that's about it

further north - there is a small stretch in CT that are fairly rural as well between Hartford and Providence

Last edited by kidphilly; 04-22-2010 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City