Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

Austin/San Antonio would be the most realistic scenario. The others are just way too far apart separated by hundreds of miles of sparsely populated rural area. Dallas will reach the Oklahoma border long before it grows southward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Austin/San Antonio would be the most realistic scenario. The others are just way too far apart separated by hundreds of miles of sparsely populated rural area. Dallas will reach the Oklahoma border long before it grows southward.

I agree I think Austin and San Antonio will eventualy grow into each other since they are only 82 miles from each other.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:40 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Could you tells us what the mileage is between each city? Isn't it well over 200 miles & much further when Dallas is included?
Houston to Dallas 260 Miles, San Antonio to Dallas 230 Miles, San Antonio to Houston 180 Miles.

And yes, with 13 million people it can most certainly be the next mega city/megalopolis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Triangle

Last edited by DANNYY; 04-22-2010 at 02:48 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Houston to Dallas 260 Miles, San Antonio to Dallas 230 Miles, San Antonio to Houston 180 Miles.

And yes, with 13 million people it can most certainly be the next mega city/megalopolis.

Texas Triangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The cities are much further apart

Example

NYC to Philly 46 miles
Philly to Baltimore 60 miles
Baltimore to DC 30 miles

Plus the population concentration is not even close- So yes it very well could but probaly would need to triple the propulation to get there

Old 04-22-2010, 09:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
People forget that you also have the Waco, Temple, and Killeen areas growing on the I35 corridor. That area alone has over 600,000 people. It's also about 40 miles from the Austin area.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People forget that you also have the Waco, Temple, and Killeen areas growing on the I35 corridor. That area alone has over 600,000 people. It's also about 40 miles from the Austin area.
My mother is actually a teach out in in Killeen. Technically, the town she lives in would be in the Austin area but it's only about a 45 minute drive from the northern most towns of Austin's Metropolitan area to Killeen/Waco/Fort Hood. Actually, I'm not sure about Waco or Temple, but I know Killeen is growing like crazy because of Fort Hood. It seems possible that one day there will be a massive megalopolis that will stretch from San Antonio to Killeen or even Waco. Austin is growing very rapidly in that direction and if Waco/Killeen/Temple is growing south, I it seem like it's possible. I'm not sure if there will be one giant stretch of development form SA to DFW though. Even with Waco, that seems like quite a distance.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
My mother is actually a teach out in in Killeen. Technically, the town she lives in would be in the Austin area but it's only about a 45 minute drive from the northern most towns of Austin's Metropolitan area to Killeen/Waco/Fort Hood. Actually, I'm not sure about Waco or Temple, but I know Killeen is growing like crazy because of Fort Hood. It seems possible that one day there will be a massive megalopolis that will stretch from San Antonio to Killeen or even Waco. Austin is growing very rapidly in that direction and if Waco/Killeen/Temple is growing south, I it seem like it's possible. I'm not sure if there will be one giant stretch of development form SA to DFW though. Even with Waco, that seems like quite a distance.
The area between DFW and Waco is sparse. The area between Waco and Austin is more developed. Every metro area chooses a direction to grow. DFW choose North. Austin and San Antonio also choose north, Houston choose west. Because DFW choose north, its not reaching down toward Waco.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Just because you see "stuff" from I-35 does not mean it's developed. That crap along the highway is just frontage road sprawl. In most cases there is nothing once you get 500 feet from the highway, so IMO, it's just as rural between those Texas cities as any place else, it just feels more built up because of all the frontage road development.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM

254 posts, read 693,426 times
Southern California is a megalopolis without question at this point and Northern California is rapidly on its way to one as well.

The distances and area size for those two are alot smaller than the Texas Triangle, but the Southern CA megalopolis has approx the same number of people as the state of Texas. Northern CA megalopolis has approx 12 million people in an area maybe a quarter of the size of the Texas Triangle.

At its current growth rate, the Texas Triangle will conceviably become a megalopolis one day, but it won't be the next one after BosWash.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Just because you see "stuff" from I-35 does not mean it's developed. That crap along the highway is just frontage road sprawl. In most cases there is nothing once you get 500 feet from the highway, so IMO, it's just as rural between those Texas cities as any place else, it just feels more built up because of all the frontage road development.
Actually, the area I was talking about is quite a distance from I-35. Killeen is growing because of Fort Hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City