Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:09 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times

Advertisements

The Austin-Killeen Temple Corridor is well on its way, Austin-San Marcos-New Braunfels-San Antonio is the one that has the most potential because of 35 and the toll road east of it. Bedroom Communites like Kyle-Buda-manchaca are experincing record growth.
Plus the travel between these two cities is amazing especially during the sports and entertaiment seasons (UT, Spurs, NCAA Final Four, SxSW, Texas Relays, ROT Rally, Fiesta. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 02:35 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
The rural gaps between DC-Baltimore and Philadelphia-NYC are a lot smaller than the gaps between Dallas and Houston.

I could see a megalopolis develop between DFW and Austin and SA long before one developing between Dallas and Houston. I'd even say that the parts of California between the Bay Area and LA-Santa Barbara have more population centers.
I don't think there is anything of much importance. Modesto-Fresno-Bakersfield [maybe a million people but 100 miles between each city]. Santa Barbara-Ventura are barely 250,000.

The point about distance between each city is well-taken. The outer city limits can be many miles from city hall.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't think there is anything of much importance. Modesto-Fresno-Bakersfield [maybe a million people but 100 miles between each city]. Santa Barbara-Ventura are barely 250,000.

The point about distance between each city is well-taken. The outer city limits can be many miles from city hall.
Yes, they're not the biggest cities, but they are larger than what you see along the Dallas-Houston I-45 Corridor.

Also, I was referring to the infamous part along I-5 between the Grapevine up to I-580. BFE.

101 has a few population centers past Santa Barbara, including SLO and the Monterrey area, and there are still more people in those areas than there are between DFW and Houston

Old 04-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Yes, they're not the biggest cities, but they are larger than what you see along the Dallas-Houston I-45 Corridor.

Also, I was referring to the infamous part along I-5 between the Grapevine up to I-580. BFE.

101 has a few population centers past Santa Barbara, including SLO and the Monterrey area, and there are still more people in those areas than there are between DFW and Houston
I didn't know that. Maybe that is why California has the largest population [even the more rural areas have fairly large cities].

Old 04-22-2010, 03:34 PM

254 posts, read 693,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post

That is not true. There are about a million people in Fresno County alone. From Modesto down to Bakersfield lives a little over 3 million people. If you include San Joaquin County just north of Modesto, the population is about 4 million. SJ county will be added to the Bay Area csa in a matter of time.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The area between DFW and Waco is sparse. The area between Waco and Austin is more developed. Every metro area chooses a direction to grow. DFW choose North. Austin and San Antonio also choose north, Houston choose west. Because DFW choose north, its not reaching down toward Waco.
For Austin, it's also south as well, San Marcos is pretty developed. The drive from SA to ATX, is very nice, there's only a stretch of 7 miles that isn't entirely developed.
I drive between the two nearly every weekend with friends, one unique drive, minus the cops, just so many of them on I-35.
Yeah you're right about Houston and Dallas. Houston has weak suburban influence on it's east end, and can't much on the south because it reaches the coastline, meaning they're restricted. Plus they've already developed that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The cities are much further apart

Example

NYC to Philly 46 miles
Philly to Baltimore 60 miles
Baltimore to DC 30 miles

Plus the population concentration is not even close- So yes it very well could but probaly would need to triple the propulation to get there
You know, I agree with half of what you're saying but not the other half.
Agree- Yes, it's not there yet, and it'll be sometime until it reaches that point maybe even decades, but it's getting there.

Disagree- I know it's a lot larger in land area than the NE mega city corridors, but I can't stress this enough. Texas has vast amounts of land, it utilizes and takes advantage of the amount of land it has. NE, the land isn't comparable to Texas, because it's smaller and more dense, definitely more urban.
It's like comparing county sizes by land from the NE to the county sizes by land to the west coast. We have to go with the boundaries given.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Another thing I don't think people are taking into consideration is the MASSIVE amount of flights between the Triangle cities on a daily basis. In particular, the Dallas/Ft. Worth - Houston corridor is one the heaviest flown in North America. This incredible amount of flights shrinks distances between the cities to mere minutes, basically.

There is a big reason Southwest Airlines has traditionally been lukewarm at best to high speed rail proposals over the years...........

Old 04-22-2010, 04:13 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Another thing I don't think people are taking into consideration is the MASSIVE amount of flights between the Triangle cities on a daily basis. In particular, the Dallas/Ft. Worth - Houston corridor is one the heaviest flown in North America. This incredible amount of flights shrinks distances between the cities to mere minutes, basically.

There is a big reason Southwest Airlines has traditionally been lukewarm at best to high speed rail proposals over the years...........
Ditto, in I fly between the cities during vacation, to go from college to home as fast as possible. Austin to Houston.

Dallas to Houston, 5-6 hours of driving becomes 35-45 minutes of fly time.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:45 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And 71 miles Philly to Baltimore

19.7 miles Baltimore to DC

all on a straight line
I understand where you're coming from on this but this is being nitpicky. I do agree that the BosWash megalopolis is the only region that can call itself that right now in America but even there is still a lot of rural land between the major cities. Especially Baltimore and Delaware. A good 50-60 miles of rural land at that (maybe shorter though).

Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
That is not true. There are about a million people in Fresno County alone. From Modesto down to Bakersfield lives a little over 3 million people. If you include San Joaquin County just north of Modesto, the population is about 4 million. SJ county will be added to the Bay Area csa in a matter of time.
Thanks for the info [I used wikipedia for the 3 cities & didn't considered the counties]. Up in the delta the Sacramento-Stockton metro is basically folding into the Bay Area as one megalopolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City