Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
In case you missed my quote:
"A few pics from recent events and some of the newer in-town developments."

They aren't just random people, they are enjoying the city just like the rest of us. From some of the inaccurate posts on this site, one could conclude that Atlanta is "boring", "overrated" and many other things that it is not. I wanted to show that everyone isn't as miserable or bored here as some would like to believe.
I guess
Quote:
Now here is where we've missed one another. I NEVER said one was better than the other. I simply said Dallas/Houston are hotter to me, me as in myself. I've been to both cities multiple times, and this was my conclusion ... the same goes for Miami. Would you have the same issue if someone said that Atlanta get's too cold therefore they'd rather be in Dallas/Houston? Probably not. The point is, I don't like extreme heat so Atlanta is more than hot enough for me. With that said, any place that gets hotter than here, you can keep. That is just a personal preference, so why would anyone have a problem with that?
fair enough. all I'm really saying is that there isn't that much of a dramatic difference between the two. if one is able to tolerate Atlanta, they'll likely be able to tolerate Dallas (Houston might be a different story). and years ago, I used to work 10 hour days in the Texas heat, so go figure lol.

and if someone were to think that Atlanta got too cold, they wouldn't like Dallas either.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:14 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I guess

fair enough. all I'm really saying is that there isn't that much of a dramatic difference between the two. if one is able to tolerate Atlanta, they'll likely be able to tolerate Dallas (Houston might be a different story). and years ago, I used to work 10 hour days in the Texas heat, so go figure lol.

and if someone were to think that Atlanta got too cold, they wouldn't like Dallas either.
Dallas gets considerably hotter than Atlanta in the Summer. Dallas heat is closer to Houston heat. And that's with the humidity.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
I guess

Well Dallas I would imagine might be more tolerable as the humidity levels are not as high. Average high for Dallas in July is 95 for instance... Average high for Atlanta in July is 89... but factor in the average afternoon humidity @ 59% humidity and you have a heat index sitting at 97. Average morning humidity is 88%.

But not so fast... Dallas averages pretty high humidity too, lets throw in 58% for Dallas and that quickly becomes 111 heat index!!!

Most miserable summer weather... Dallas and considerably.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:24 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Those people are rednecks??? Looks like someone doesn't know what a redneck is.

And the rodeo in Houston attracts a very diverse crowd; it's not only rednecks and usually those people wearing cowboy attire are just dressing for the moment. People on here are so misinformed and ignorant.....

Old 01-09-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Dallas gets considerably hotter than Atlanta in the Summer. Dallas heat is closer to Houston heat. And that's with the humidity.
I guess I'm just speaking from personal experience. as someone who's grown up in Texas and Georgia summers, hot is hot to me. and while the former is noticeably warmer than the latter, not drastically so. but of course, if I had to pick which city I'd want to spend the summer in, it would be Atlanta easily. mostly because their summers are shorter

Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Dallas and Houston heat are considerably different for me though.

The heat just beams right down on you in Dallas and just wears you out. However, you pretty much wear in the heat in Houston. I really don't sweat in Dallas as much as I do in Houston, but Dallas heat affects me much more. You're more likely to have heat strokes or pass out in Dallas.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:57 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
I guess I'm just speaking from personal experience. as someone who's grown up in Texas and Georgia summers, hot is hot to me. and while the former is noticeably warmer than the latter, not drastically so. but of course, if I had to pick which city I'd want to spend the summer in, it would be Atlanta easily. mostly because their summers are shorter
well 15 degrees on average heat index looks significant. Dallas is 111 in July, Atlanta is 97.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
well 15 degrees on average heat index looks significant. Dallas is 111 in July, Atlanta is 97.
that number for Dallas doesn't sound right. maybe kdogg or one of the other DFW posters can clear that up.

either way, it's not like most people are spending the majority of their day outside. I, on the other hand, did used to spend most of the summer working outside. so if it doesn't make much of a difference to me, I can't see how it really would for anyone. and I don't like the heat at all, so that oughtta tell you something lol

Old 01-09-2011, 12:27 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Dallas is Ok but that Fort Worth is redneck to the point where there are no words to describe and Atlanta is in the deep south, mostly a oreo city only white and black folks (I am white) with lack of everything else. Plain and very bland looking Atlanta. I pick Dallas but give me suicide as an option if it came down to Atlanta or Fort Worth
Could you possibly be more ignorant? Get a clue.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:27 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Did I hit a nerve? Seems like I have. Look redneck towns are Ok if your into that kind of place but I am not, I need sophistication and please don't come on here lying about Fort Worth being a big time progressive city, its not. Its just a second fiddle hicktown that ruins its neighbors reputation. The people in your city are desperately trying to shed it of its hicktown image. Fort Worth is so progressive that they were too good for streetcar systems, drill baby drill! Big oil money in Fort Worth, Texas! See here;

"Some speakers said that roosters keep them up at all hours at night and that Fort Worth should shed its "hicktown" stereotype and strive to be a modern city
Read more: Proposal stops short of ban on roosters in Fort Worth | News | News from Fort Worth, Dal..."

Your city's nickname is "cowtown", your downtown is called "sundance square" and your main attraction is called "Fort Worth Stockyards" where they try to show off a hick cowboy country look. Denial is ignorance son
Ft Worth definitely prides itself on its southwestern heritage. I think what people are finding offensive is your reference to the southwestern vibe in Ft Worth as redneck and hick rather than southwest culture which is a more appropriate description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City