Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,811 times

Advertisements

I think you'd be surprised by the amount of laid back people in both SF and NY(especially in summer) but I know what you're saying..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,852 times
One can still look stylish in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals; not many do, but it can be done.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,852 times
I was responding to the post that said those clothing items were primitive, is all.

Brad, breathe.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:13 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,171,540 times
I would never spend hundreds of dollars on clothes. I may be liberal, but I spend my money conservatively.

anyway, my point is, I hate when people knock us for wearing casual clothes. The people wear buisness suits to corporate and bank type work. but in general, the whole laid back, casual attitude is what the appeal is and it's really what sets the mood and tone for the city. I would be very sad if it was fast paced and in your face cause that's just not my thing and the charm of SD just wouldn't be the same as it is now.

I'm breathing BV lol. I'm just ranting but not about you.

ok. I'm done. bye. =p

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 09-30-2010 at 11:25 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 11:37 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
In my opinion, New York, San Francisco and DC are the best dressed cities. I say this because in all of these cities there is a great sense of individualism in everybody's style. Yeah, you have trends in all of these cities, but not everyone dresses the same at all. Cities that have no real style have uniforms or swaths of people in outdated frumpy clothes. Baltimore has too much of a uniform to be a fashionable city. Every kid from the hood in Baltimore looks like the mannequin from the American Eagle window with a pair of matching New Balance 992's.

However, all cities have good and bad local trends and signature looks. I'll even break down the terrible trends for the most fashionable cities I listed:

1.) D.C.- When I first moved to the Baltimore/DC Area back in the 90's, D.C./PG hood dudes were rocking slouch socks to their knees with cut off jean shorts with sleeveless t-shirts and t-shirts with hoods attached. They also wore clothes from tacky nationally unknown local brands like Da Link Went, All Daz, We R One, Shooters and HOBO (Helping Our Brothers Out). Cheap looking glue and sparkly lettered snap back hats were also popluar back then in the D.C. area along with t-shirts featuring Warner Brothers characters. They also used to wear the ugliest Nikes that looked like moonboots:

Nike Flightposite 3 III Kevin Garnett, Flightposite III basketball shoes, Nike Flightposite 3 III

The hood crowd in D.C. definitely has stepped it up in recent years though. Wale is one of the best dressed rappers out for his style. And Wale is a good representation of the average well dressed nouveau urban style cat in D.C. His sneaker game is ridiculous.

Capital Kicks: Wale’s Greatest Footwear Moments | Complex Blog

Conservative White folks in D.C. sometimes dress very tacky. During the springtime in Georgetown can be a fashion trainwreck with Ivy League/Old money looking White folks wearing bright lime green blazers or chinos paired with bright pink oxfords. Some of these people wear the worst Ralph Lauren and J. Crew pieces.

2.) San Francisco- The hood crowd in San Francisco can be very much behind the times in terms of urban fashion. Many hood dudes in SF and the Bay Area still wear tall tees and super baggy Girbaud shuttle jeans with the straps. They stopped wearing those things on the East Coast in 2002-2003. Also, the hood in SF has always embraced weird hairstyle/folicle trends like all types of shags, mullets, mongolians, rat tails and braided/platted up beards.

Also, because the weather in SF stays roughly between 50-75 degrees during the year, some people wear the same clothes day in day out all year long.

3.) NYC- As some folks have previously stated on here, some New Yorkers in the hood are stuck in the 90's. They will always wear Yankee fitteds with regular 6" tan Timbs all year round. And I've seen a lot of New York dudes even rock leather Yankee fitteds on 80-90 degree days in June and July. A lot of hood folks in NYC still rock excessively baggy jeans and old leather Avirexes from the 90's and early 2000's too (not the new Pelle Pelle's that come out every year either). I've seen some people in Brooklyn still wearing 90's brands like Phat Farm and Mecca USA this year.

On the flip side, some people are way too out there with experimental fashion in New York and end up looking like complete tools. Although there are some of the most fashionable people in the world in NYC, the city is undeniably a prime breeding ground of try-to-hard epic failure in fashion trendsetting. I know NYC is the city of diversity, but some of these outfits are just way too over the top:

This one is beyond words. Exercise caution when looking at the outfit in this link:

Street Detail: Dunny In The Bank | Complex Blog

Street Detail: Elijah in SoHo | Complex Blog

Street Detail: Aerol at Union Square | Complex Blog

Street Detail: William in Nolita | Complex Blog

Street Detail: Marc on Spring Street | Complex Blog

Street Detail: Kelian on Prince Street | Complex Blog

Street Detail: Harem Shaker | Complex Blog

Street Detail: Woolrich Boy | Complex Blog

Street Detail: T-Shirt Turban | Complex Blog

Street Detail: I, Robot | Complex Blog

LMAO!! u hit the nail on the head with that one.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:24 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,654,979 times
Default boredatwork

1.) D.C.- When I first moved to the Baltimore/DC Area back in the 90's, D.C./PG hood dudes were rocking slouch socks to their knees with cut off jean shorts with sleeveless t-shirts and t-shirts with hoods attached. They also wore clothes from tacky nationally unknown local brands like Da Link Went, All Daz, We R One, Shooters and HOBO (Helping Our Brothers Out). Cheap looking glue and sparkly lettered snap back hats were also popluar back then in the D.C. area along with t-shirts featuring Warner Brothers characters. They also used to wear the ugliest Nikes that looked like moonboots:

Nike Flightposite 3 III Kevin Garnett, Flightposite III basketball shoes, Nike Flightposite 3 III

The hood crowd in D.C. definitely has stepped it up in recent years though. Wale is one of the best dressed rappers out for his style. And Wale is a good representation of the average well dressed nouveau urban style cat in D.C. His sneaker game is ridiculous.

Capital Kicks: Wale’s Greatest Footwear Moments | Complex Blog

Conservative White folks in D.C. sometimes dress very tacky. During the springtime in Georgetown can be a fashion trainwreck with Ivy League/Old money looking White folks wearing bright lime green blazers or chinos paired with bright pink oxfords. Some of these people wear the worst Ralph Lauren and J. Crew pieces.

In reference to the old DC styles.....we might have worn all that but was still fresh as Sh$t f..u talkin bout? thats when everything was original when everybody else was following New York

Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,444 times
Lets not forget how New Yorkers use to rock FUBU, Pele Pele, Sean John, Rockawear, Apple Bottom, and the list goes on and on lol. I never understood how they could be the fashion capitol but at the same time still come up with CHAMP a** clothing lines like those smh... none of those clothing lines made it anywhere near the DMV boarder lol!!! I remember how we use to flame NEW YORKERS when they came to DC because they were all just lame to us and for the most part still are. Never the less NY is the Fashion Cap. and yes a lot of them can actually dress at times lol!!!

so with that being said my list would go!

NE= Philly easily (They're fly and the most consistent which is something NY'er dont understand. You cant just be fly one day and then be Bummy for the rest of the year and still consider yourself fly lol)

Mid Atlantic= DC of course.

South= ATL

Old 12-23-2010, 09:57 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,444 times
In reference to the old DC styles.....we might have worn all that but was still fresh as Sh$t f..u talkin bout? thats when everything was original when everybody else was following New York[/quote]

Exactly

Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Lets not forget how New Yorkers use to rock FUBU, Pele Pele, Sean John, Rockawear, Apple Bottom, and the list goes on and on lol. I never understood how they could be the fashion capitol but at the same time still come up with CHAMP a** clothing lines like those smh... none of those clothing lines made it anywhere near the DMV boarder lol!!! I remember how we use to flame NEW YORKERS when they came to DC because they were all just lame to us and for the most part still are. Never the less NY is the Fashion Cap. and yes a lot of them can actually dress at times lol!!!

so with that being said my list would go!

NE= Philly easily (They're fly and the most consistent which is something NY'er dont understand. You cant just be fly one day and then be Bummy for the rest of the year and still consider yourself fly lol)

Mid Atlantic= DC of course.

South= ATL

yea keyword "USED TO". you seem to love nyc a lot which is why you give your long paragraphs on us huh?

bets are you probably could never come up here with your 2011 still rocking northface coats self. you would come up here knowing what would be in store for you.

hopping on the subway and feeling itchy because all the nyc girls would laughing at a dude rocking northface in 2011.

you talking about nyc "used to" used to?? get with the times nyc got flyer peeps then DC, and if you want to we can have a video battle right now to prove which city got more fly people.

ARE YOU DOWN?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
In reference to the old DC styles.....we might have worn all that but was still fresh as Sh$t f..u talkin bout? thats when everything was original when everybody else was following New York

Exactly[/quote]

And to make this battle more interesting ill ask my home girl right now via text who lives in pg county what some of the hot styles are in dc right now. lol.

lmaoo @ wale rocking bb belts. something us new yorkers wear. but off coarse dc people think we are bammas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City