Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
San Francisco 90 85.71%
Atlanta 15 14.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:35 PM

324 posts, read 659,376 times

Advertisements

I mad he picked the oldest pic to represent Atlanta he could have at least picked a 2010 pic that stadium isn't even there anymore

Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Which is more Urban: Manhattan or field?
well if were asking a colony of ants they may consider the feild as an urban jungle but manhattan still wins

the best part is that atl actually has votes.....lol
mas23

Old 05-01-2010, 03:33 AM

254 posts, read 693,224 times
Not trying to restate the obvious, but I just wanted to point out this comparison. If you were to take the city of San Francisco and its immediate neighboring cities and join them contingious with each other,until you get to an area that is comparable to the city of Atlanta (I'm guessing about 132 square miles), the population would be about
1,640,000. That would work out to a density of approx 12,424 ppsm.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:49 AM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Does Atlanta only have votes out of sympathy or pity on this poll?
And why are these posters offering Atlanta their sympathy? We're just fine, thank you very much. To be more 'urban' is not the end-all, be-all for everyone, regardless of what the denizens of C-D say about it.

Last edited by Iconographer; 05-01-2010 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 12:45 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
It all depends on what urban means to you.

For some reason a lot of people use the term urban as a synonym for black (I hate that by the way) thus you get terms like "Urban music" and "Urban fashion". In that case then Atlanta and it's not even close.

But if talking about density and walkability then san francisco obviously.
As much as you hate that, you bring up a good point. Since when does solely having Black people become synonymous with being "Urban". I didn't know a city classification like that had a ethno-racial component to it either?

I guess Mexico City isn't very urban. Neither is Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Seoul, and countless other cities around the world. Hey, I guess the most urban places on the planet are all in Africa. The jungles in the Congo must be EXTREMELY urban then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And why are these posters offering Atlanta its' sympathy? We're just fine, thank you very much. To be more 'urban' is not the end-all, be-all for everyone, regardless of what the denizens of C-D say about it.
I just think it was a stupid comparison to begin with. I voted for Atlanta because as a protest to the stupidity of this kind of comparison that sometimes goes on in City-vs-City.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
anybody that voted atlanta should be banned for ignorance. of course those who voted atlanta will also vote atlanta over nyc in every category, nyc of the south y'all LOL

anyway this was a bad comparison, these two cities developed very differently.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:59 PM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
anybody that voted atlanta should be banned for ignorance. of course those who voted atlanta will also vote atlanta over nyc in every category, nyc of the south y'all LOL

anyway this was a bad comparison, these two cities developed very differently.
Your second statement is valid, your first one unwarranted. If you read the thread, you would know that all of these posters know what is obvious to anyone with a working set of eyeballs, but voted Atlanta out of protest for what is a clearly inane comparison designed to make Atlanta look bad ONCE AGAIN. It's just so damned tiresome.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Atlanta might not be as urban as SF but it apparently is urban enough to have a booming population.

Furthermore, the development in Atlanta proper has been very impressive.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:09 PM

160 posts, read 183,594 times
Atlanta has a lot of trees and is very country. Someone I know even called Atlanta a "redneck town". Seriously, it feels like you are driving through woods in some areas.

San Francisco wins this argument hands down. Who in there right mind voted for Atlanta?

Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Your second statement is valid, your first one unwarranted. If you read the thread, you would know that all of these posters know what is obvious to anyone with a working set of eyeballs, but voted Atlanta out of protest for what is a clearly inane comparison designed to make Atlanta look bad ONCE AGAIN. It's just so damned tiresome.
then why do people call atl nyc of the south when clearly it is not even close, nyc is like 8x bigger than SF, but atl is nyc of the south? the people from atlanta make a much much MUCH longer stretch all the time on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City