Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prominent in the media/every-day life
San Francisco 32 31.07%
Chicago 43 41.75%
Miami 28 27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,318,660 times

Advertisements

^ I like your list, but Atlanta could be further ahead than that.

Last edited by adavi215; 05-11-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 11:52 AM

593 posts, read 1,764,455 times
SF over the years has had a stronger cultural influence than Chicago--Kerouac and the beatniks of the 50's, the hippie and protest movements of the 60s and 70s, the gay rights movement, hip-hop artists like 2pac (who represented the bay for the vast majority of his career), etc...There just seems to be more cultural trends stemming from the Bay Area than Chicago, and this certainly is reflected in the media.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:02 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,929,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
SF over the years has had a stronger cultural influence than Chicago--Kerouac and the beatniks of the 50's, the hippie and protest movements of the 60s and 70s, the gay rights movement, hip-hop artists like 2pac (who represented the bay for the vast majority of his career), etc...There just seems to be more cultural trends stemming from the Bay Area than Chicago, and this certainly is reflected in the media.
My thoughts exactly, regardless of which city is actually more culturally influential, SF culture gets more attention.

My list:

1. San Francisco
2. Chicago
3. Miami - too specialized. Most of its attention comes from popular culture (So. Beach nightlife, beaches, mansions, TV shows, etc.) whereas I think SF and Chicago are more well-rounded.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Not sure I even agree that you just listed the top five here. D.C. comes before LA, Chi, Mia, and SF combined and Boston has arguably a top media presence as well.
Boston is simply not as present in popular culture as either SF or Miami and is less talked about than Chicago for sure.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 AM

14,488 posts, read 11,308,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Boston is simply not as present in popular culture as either SF or Miami and is less talked about than Chicago for sure.
Your thread title confused me. When I think of media, and it's strictest definition btw, I think of the national and the cable news networks. BOS is one of the nation's centers for political and intellectual thought and as such is well represented in the media via political and intellectual discourse on the day's topics.
Frankly, in that context, neither MIA nor SF is in the top 5.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:48 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,084,452 times
Quote:
SF over the years has had a stronger cultural influence than Chicago--
This is highly debatable. Following the release of The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, the US government was prompted to establish the Food and Drug Administration. The 8 hour work day can be attributed to the Chicago Labor Movement. Schaumberg based Motorola invented the very first hand-held mobile phone back in 1973. There are others but these are things that you can see at work in your everyday life.

Quote:
Kerouac and the beatniks of the 50's, the hippie and protest movements of the 60s and 70s,
The beatnik/hipster/hippie movement began in NYC and eventually moved to SF/Berkley shortly afterward.

Quote:
the gay rights movement,
Quote:
LGBT rights in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the United States, as early as the turn of the twentieth century several groups worked in hiding to avoid persecution to advance the rights of homosexuals, but little is known about them.

A better documented group is Henry Gerber’s Society for Human Rights (formed in Chicago in 1924), which was quickly suppressed. Serving as an enlisted man in occupied Germany after World War I, Gerber had learned of Magnus Hirschfeld’s pioneering work. Upon returning to the U.S. and settling in Chicago, Gerber organized the first documented public homosexual organization in America and published two issues of the first gay publication, entitled Friendship and Freedom.
Quote:
hip-hop artists like 2pac (who represented the bay for the vast majority of his career), etc..."
As an avid hip-hop listener and as someone who owns every 2Pac album released when he was alive, I must take issue with this assertion. 2Pac never represented any city in his music, that is until he signed with Death Row and started screaming "Westsiiiide" on everything. He was born in NYC, grew up in Baltimore, and lived in Oakland and Marin City in the early part of his career, but he never rapped about where he was from, he only mentioned being from the Bay in interviews.

Quote:
There just seems to be more cultural trends stemming from the Bay Area than Chicago, and this certainly is reflected in the media.
That's only because you're from the West Coast and don't want to acknowledge anything Chicago has contributed to society.

Last edited by EastSideMKE; 05-12-2010 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Your thread title confused me. When I think of media, and it's strictest definition btw, I think of the national and the cable news networks. BOS is one of the nation's centers for political and intellectual thought and as such is well represented in the media via political and intellectual discourse on the day's topics.
Frankly, in that context, neither MIA nor SF is in the top 5.
In that context, SF is absolutely in the top 5. I see SF's skyline pasted on the background of CNN all the time. It is one of, if not the, center for liberal dialogue in the country.

Why exactly do you think Boston would be in the top 5, but not SF?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,198,002 times
Boston gets overshadowed by New York a lot though, I really don't see the importance in Boston. If you also want to add in other parts of the media such as tv shows and movies etc. Boston wouldn't beat Miami, probably not even San Francisco as well.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
In that context, SF is absolutely in the top 5. I see SF's skyline pasted on the background of CNN all the time. It is one of, if not the, center for liberal dialogue in the country.

Why exactly do you think Boston would be in the top 5, but not SF?
Yes and in that context, almost completely out of touch with America. The only time I see the TA building and the Bay Bridge pasted in the background is when the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence invades another Catholic Church, or The Mayor enacts a no meat day, or the city votes to boycott a state.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Boston gets overshadowed by New York a lot though, I really don't see the importance in Boston. If you also want to add in other parts of the media such as tv shows and movies etc. Boston wouldn't beat Miami, probably not even San Francisco as well.
Beyond being on the front line of murder, drugs, and runaway illegal immigration, I don't see the importance in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City