Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prominent in the media/every-day life
San Francisco 32 31.07%
Chicago 43 41.75%
Miami 28 27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:40 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,924,234 times

Advertisements

I've always thought New York, Los Angeles, and Washington have been the top three U.S. cities that get "talked about" more than any others. But after them, I always come up with San Francisco, Chicago, and Miami but can't figure out how to order them...what do you think?

In terms of:

- position in American popular culture
- recognizability abroad
- likeliness to be mentioned on CNN.com, a facebook status update, and around the dinner table

I am NOT asking which is the best, most important, or most desirable, only which one do you think is most visible in every-day life.

San Francisco is a conversation topic in liberal politics, gay rights, natural beauty, music, technology (silicon valley), education, etc.

Chicago's name gets mentioned in conversations about business and finance, the midwest, tall buildings, the Obamas, architecture, education, etc.

Miami is prominent in vacation destinations, glamour, celebrities, Hispanic culture, drugs, nightlife, etc.

So which overall do you think is the most talked-about in everyday life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,062,220 times
This is kinda biased based on where you live, who you're friends with (facebook for example), and what your interests are. If you watch MSNBC and follow Bloomberg you're much more likely to hear about Chicago than the others. If you're big on science journals you're going to hear about S.F. If you're big on nightlife or Latin American relations you're going to hear about Miami.

I mean recently there's been more talk about New Orleans and Houston than any of these places thanks to the Oil Spill. It just varies by whats going on in the news.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:19 PM

153 posts, read 381,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
If you watch MSNBC and follow Bloomberg you're much more likely to hear about Chicago than the others. If you're big on science journals you're going to hear about S.F.
The finance-oriented Chicago's basically a secondary NYC, and for technology, social media, startups, environmentalism, cutting-edge trends, SF is the city.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:33 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
really depends on what you are interested in... I get a lot of media from both Chicago and SF markets, virtually nothing from Miami...really nothing from L.A. either... most of my media "filters" go to nyc(nyt, markets, culture, events)/dc(politics)/sf(tech blogs, culture)/chicago(markets, economics, culture)...

Last edited by grapico; 05-08-2010 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM

324 posts, read 659,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
This is kinda biased based on where you live, who you're friends with (facebook for example), and what your interests are. If you watch MSNBC and follow Bloomberg you're much more likely to hear about Chicago than the others. If you're big on science journals you're going to hear about S.F. If you're big on nightlife or Latin American relations you're going to hear about Miami.

I mean recently there's been more talk about New Orleans and Houston than any of these places thanks to the Oil Spill. It just varies by whats going on in the news.
I think he means constantly being brought up year round Miami for example movies tv sitcoms always showing up on vacation brochures etc Houston is a city u never hear anything about.. Something has to happen for the media to mention HOuston.. Miami La NYC Chicago those cities nothing Major has to happen for those cities to be brought up...

Old 05-08-2010, 10:06 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,924,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
I think he means constantly being brought up year round Miami for example movies tv sitcoms always showing up on vacation brochures etc Houston is a city u never hear anything about.. Something has to happen for the media to mention HOuston.. Miami La NYC Chicago those cities nothing Major has to happen for those cities to be brought up...
^^^ Exactly

Denver, Houston, Phoenix, Pittsburgh - those are cities that aren't very visible unless there's something major and specific that is bringing them attention, typically temporarily (IE Phoenix with the immigration law controversy).

New York, Los Angeles, Washington, San Francisco, Chicago, and Miami are cities that are just kind of always floating around in the media.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:04 PM

44 posts, read 51,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
^^^ Exactly

Denver, Houston, Phoenix, Pittsburgh - those are cities that aren't very visible unless there's something major and specific that is bringing them attention, typically temporarily (IE Phoenix with the immigration law controversy).

New York, Los Angeles, Washington, San Francisco, Chicago, and Miami are cities that are just kind of always floating around in the media.

....and for a reason.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,441,588 times
I am definitely biased due to location. While Southern California and Northern California have their differences, both are intertwined in a symbiotic relationship and are in the same state. One hears about San Francisco and the Bay Area plenty here in Southern California and conversely they hear plenty about us. Due to the close relationship, sometimes even local issues make each others newspaper, evening news, etc...

Plus the Bay is a popular weekend getaway and almost everybody in So Cal knows somebody whether friends or family in the Bay Area.

I guess it is hard to think of hearing about Chicago or Miami more being in CA.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:23 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,962,134 times
I'd say Chicago and San Francisco have about an equal amount of presence in the media. I live in New York so I'm not in the region of either city, but there is no noticeable difference in how much I hear about either city.

Aside from hearing people around New York mentioning an upcoming trip to Miami or something of that nature, I don't really hear about it that much.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,699,228 times
Miami. CSI Miami, The superbowl, Many Reality TV shows, Music Videos, Video games, Movies, etc.

I don't see how miami could be loosing. Anyone care to explain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City