Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prominent in the media/every-day life
San Francisco 32 31.07%
Chicago 43 41.75%
Miami 28 27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:59 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,205,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Beyond being on the front line of murder, drugs, and runaway illegal immigration, I don't see the importance in Miami.
All of the things you mentioned make Miami have a larger presence in the media than Boston though...

Last edited by clean_polo; 05-13-2010 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:12 PM

14,499 posts, read 11,329,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
All of the things you mentioned make Miami have a larger presence in the media than Boston though...
Touche'

Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,184,330 times
Quote:
The beatnik/hipster/hippie movement began in NYC and eventually moved to SF/Berkley shortly afterward.
Huh what the heck are you talking about? First of all the hep movement(origional hipster movement) of the 1940's was largely resigned to jazz clubs in harlem and zuit suit gatherings in Los Angeles. Not even really a white trend, and most of the origional hep cats regarded whites trying to get into the style as imposters. Thats why they emphasized the use of slang lingo so much, becuase most urban whites in the 1940's could not understand a lick of it.

The beatnick movement was largely spawned by writers of the lost generation who lived in both new york and california.

And the hippy movement? Are you freakin for real? Started in new york? Thats a laugh... The hippy movement was related directly to the LSD movement. Tim Leary a quack harvard professor used to order it from the swiss factories, and keasy and other standford students from palo alto in the bay were getting hooked up via the CIA (back when all of this was legal of course). Keasy and his group of nuts headed east in search of leary and the rest is history. Leary was too much of a stuffy east coast type and they were over him.

YouTube - LSD - The Beyond Within [Part 1 of 9]

watch all the video for a history lesson

New york was not a front runner in the hippy movement, maybe the village was, but the city of new york....not even close.

Students at UC Berkeley started the free speech movement and were the first students documented protesting the vietnam war back in 1964 and 1965 when the rest of the country and california for that matter didn't have a freakin' clue.

Heck the black counter part to the white hippy rebellion, the black panthers, was formed in Oakland

Old 05-14-2010, 06:57 PM

131 posts, read 146,191 times
1.Chicago(its alot on the business news,seen it alot on the movies,there filming alot of tv series,tv shows as we speak right now,plus filming a couple movies, and there building the biggest movie production studio outside of LA in Chicago, personally i think Chicago is America's next best upcoming city,i think America has seen enough of new york and La everyday they turn on the tv.Time of something new.

2.Miami,it has a big latin media,telemundo,telefutura,univision,galavision,et c and since there is a big latino community in Chicago est. 800,000(3rd largest in US) is relevent to latinos from Chicago.Miami has some movies but not that many.

3.San Francisco,i only see it in the media when talking about California business news,besides that i don't see much about it.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:08 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,108,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican773 View Post
1.Chicago(its alot on the business news,seen it alot on the movies,there filming alot of tv series,tv shows as we speak right now,plus filming a couple movies, and there building the biggest movie production studio outside of LA in Chicago, personally i think Chicago is America's next best upcoming city,i think America has seen enough of new york and La everyday they turn on the tv.Time of something new.

2.Miami,it has a big latin media,telemundo,telefutura,univision,galavision,et c and since there is a big latino community in Chicago est. 800,000(3rd largest in US) is relevent to latinos from Chicago.Miami has some movies but not that many.

3.San Francisco,i only see it in the media when talking about California business news,besides that i don't see much about it.
Really? Do you have any links or sources to show me what you mean? Or where did you hear about that?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,584,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Really? Do you have any links or sources to show me what you mean? Or where did you hear about that?

Toronto studio owner buys Ryerson Steel property.

A $5 million state grant approved Friday set in motion the purchase of the former Ryerson steel property that will be converted into the biggest state-of- the-art film studio outside of Hollywood.
Cinespace Chicago, located on 50 acres of prime city property on the Near Southwest Side, is now under construction and one 330,000-sq. ft. stage could be ready for action by January.
Cinespace Chicago owner, Nick Mirkopoulos, is a highly successful and respected Toronto studio owner, who will invest an estimated $80 million to convert the six contiguous buildings into a film and TV production center.
When completed in 12-15 months, Cinespace Chicago will create a projected 6,000 jobs.
“A big studio like this is long overdue,” said John Coli, Sr., secretary-treasurer of Teamsters Local 727 and president of Teamsters Joint Council 25, who has worked tirelessly behind-the-scenes for several years in an effort to convince a major studio owner with a successful track record to establish a film complex in Chicago.
The Ryerson campus, as it is called, consists of 1.3 million sq. ft. of buildings under one roof, situated on 48.5 acres of land between Ogden and Western Avenues, a scant five miles southwest from State and Madison Streets in the Loop.
Mirkopoulos reportedly paid $18 million for the property. An asking price of $22-$26 million had been listed with an industrial real estate broker for the past 18 months.
Production business is expected almost immediately.
After receiving news of the state grant approval Friday, Mirkopoulos on Monday flew his architect to Chicago to meet with contractors to immediately begin converting one of the property’s six 572×572-sq. ft. buildings into a sound stage, which is expected to be completed within an estimated 60 days.
“They claim they will have business for the studio by then,” said Coli.
Chicago will be an extremely attractive place to produce movies and TV shows, said Coli, thanks to unions that have committed to providing lower costs for filmmakers and Illinois’ sustainable 30% tax credit….

Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,108,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Toronto studio owner buys Ryerson Steel property.

A $5 million state grant approved Friday set in motion the purchase of the former Ryerson steel property that will be converted into the biggest state-of- the-art film studio outside of Hollywood.
Cinespace Chicago, located on 50 acres of prime city property on the Near Southwest Side, is now under construction and one 330,000-sq. ft. stage could be ready for action by January.
Cinespace Chicago owner, Nick Mirkopoulos, is a highly successful and respected Toronto studio owner, who will invest an estimated $80 million to convert the six contiguous buildings into a film and TV production center.
When completed in 12-15 months, Cinespace Chicago will create a projected 6,000 jobs.
“A big studio like this is long overdue,” said John Coli, Sr., secretary-treasurer of Teamsters Local 727 and president of Teamsters Joint Council 25, who has worked tirelessly behind-the-scenes for several years in an effort to convince a major studio owner with a successful track record to establish a film complex in Chicago.
The Ryerson campus, as it is called, consists of 1.3 million sq. ft. of buildings under one roof, situated on 48.5 acres of land between Ogden and Western Avenues, a scant five miles southwest from State and Madison Streets in the Loop.
Mirkopoulos reportedly paid $18 million for the property. An asking price of $22-$26 million had been listed with an industrial real estate broker for the past 18 months.
Production business is expected almost immediately.
After receiving news of the state grant approval Friday, Mirkopoulos on Monday flew his architect to Chicago to meet with contractors to immediately begin converting one of the property’s six 572×572-sq. ft. buildings into a sound stage, which is expected to be completed within an estimated 60 days.
“They claim they will have business for the studio by then,” said Coli.
Chicago will be an extremely attractive place to produce movies and TV shows, said Coli, thanks to unions that have committed to providing lower costs for filmmakers and Illinois’ sustainable 30% tax credit….
That's actually wonderful news. And it's just what Chicago needs to further diversify it's economy.

I heard Detroit and the state of Michigan in general has been trying very hard to attract movie industries and production companies there. I suppose they have failed in attempts.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,584,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
That's actually wonderful news. And it's just what Chicago needs to further diversify it's economy.

I heard Detroit and the state of Michigan in general has been trying very hard to attract movie industries and production companies there. I suppose they have failed in attempts.
That is not all that is going on...

Inside one of the world's largest data centers | Beyond Binary - CNET News
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05...h2_datacenter/
I think it is eventually going to have 300K servers when it is live...

Last edited by grapico; 05-14-2010 at 08:49 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 AM

617 posts, read 1,427,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican773 View Post

Couldn't agree more, SF boosters will try to show everyone that some how because social networking are headquartered in the bay area somehow everyone that uses youtube thinks back to themselves "wow all this wouldn't be possible if not for san francisco", please you think people think "wow if it wasn't for China I wouldn't be enjoying these fireworks" or "wow I wouldn't be enjoying this great view of my cities' skyline if it wasn't for Chicago", only fools will actually think that anyone ever gives the bay a second thought when using youtube, facebook, myspace, etc.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM

36,698 posts, read 67,730,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Couldn't agree more, SF boosters will try to show everyone that some how because social networking are headquartered in the bay area somehow everyone that uses youtube thinks back to themselves "wow all this wouldn't be possible if not for san francisco", please you think people think "wow if it wasn't for China I wouldn't be enjoying these fireworks" or "wow I wouldn't be enjoying this great view of my cities' skyline if it wasn't for Chicago", only fools will actually think that anyone ever gives the bay a second thought when using youtube, facebook, myspace, etc.

First of all, That fast fading website also known as myspace is not from the Bay Area. Maybe if it were, it wouldnt be on its death march.

Now that you mention it, not only is the Bay Area the deFacto world capital of social media, we are also fast becoming the world capital of wireless communications with the Android and iPhone platforms being the ONLY TWO smartphone technologies to see a rise in market share over the last year, meanwhile Toronto based RIM is seeing its market share decline.

If your inclined to be fed media to you by some huge corporation with pre-packaged shows and whatnot, then the Bay Area is not the center of action, sorry.

But if we are talking about the ability of ANYONE to get the message out to BILLIONS of people around the world for FREE-then the Bay Area is the heart of that social and media movement.

Don't like it? Well tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City