Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prominent in the media/every-day life
San Francisco 32 31.07%
Chicago 43 41.75%
Miami 28 27.18%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 AM

617 posts, read 1,427,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
First of all, That fast fading website also known as myspace is not from the Bay Area. Maybe if it were, it wouldnt be on its death march.

Now that you mention it, not only is the Bay Area the deFacto world capital of social media, we are also fast becoming the world capital of wireless communications with the Android and iPhone platforms being the ONLY TWO smartphone technologies to see a rise in market share over the last year, meanwhile Toronto based RIM is seeing its market share decline.

If your inclined to be fed media to you by some huge corporation with pre-packaged shows and whatnot, then the Bay Area is not the center of action, sorry.

But if we are talking about the ability of ANYONE to get the message out to BILLIONS of people around the world for FREE-then the Bay Area is the heart of that social and media movement.

Don't like it? Well tough.
You haven't proven anything because even after all of that Chicago and Miami are well ahead in the media presence which is what this thread is about correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:16 AM

36,692 posts, read 67,707,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
You haven't proven anything because even after all of that Chicago and Miami are well ahead in the media presence which is what this thread is about correct?
Hahahaha...I still havent seen evidence in this thread of either Miami or Chicago being 'well ahead' of SF. Sorry but you must be reading some other thread.

Furthermore, I love how you ressurect this thread just so other SF-haters can join you in bashing the city.

Go for it btw, cause its meaningless to us, but I didnt realize how important we are to you.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,286,769 times
From my perspective; Chicago is just as irrelevant as Houston.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM

617 posts, read 1,427,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hahahaha...I still havent seen evidence in this thread of either Miami or Chicago being 'well ahead' of SF. Sorry but you must be reading some other thread.

Furthermore, I love how you ressurect this thread just so other SF-haters can join you in bashing the city.

Go for it btw, cause its meaningless to us, but I didnt realize how important we are to you.
Acutally I think SF was more popular before the social media craze, remember Full House, that show put SF on the map and much more popular than Chicago Hope, plus full of real life drama and real life issues such as:

Full House aww moment 2
still makes me cry til this day

Old 04-11-2011, 09:55 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,286,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Acutally I think SF was more popular before the social media craze, remember Full House, that show put SF on the map and much more popular than Chicago Hope, plus full of real life drama and real life issues such as:

Full House aww moment 2
still makes me cry til this day
Let me counteract that:

YouTube - "Family Matters" Opening Theme Song "Syndicated Version"

Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 AM

105 posts, read 470,626 times
Well the same could be said for anyone that watches Oprah or the 20% of the population that watches a spanish channel. The average person watching Telemundo does not automatically think of Miami. I surely don't think of Atlanta whenever I watch CNN or any of the Turner Broadcasting networks. So if you're going to discredit the Bay Area in technology you gotta do so for TV networks. So what are we left with then? World recognizable landmarks? Political references? Internationally known festivals? Cultural contributions? All 3 cities have had TV sitcoms and movies tied to them. I think you can interchange the worth of these cities depending on ones perspective. Pop Culture: 1.) Miami (fueled by celebrity presence only) 2.) Chicago/SF.......Sports Teams/Icons: 1.) Chicago 2.) SF 3.) Miami.......Hosts to Major Sporting Events: 1.) Miami 2.) SF (distant second) 3.) Chicago......Internationally Famous US Landmarks 1.) SF 2.) Chicago (distant second) 3.) Miami (distant 3rd)..........Media Markets 1.) Chicago 2.) SF 3.) Miami (distant 3rd).....Movies/TV shows Filmed on Location: 1.) SF/Chicago 2.) Miami (distant second)......Cultural Contributions (this includes famous musicians/artists, quotes from literature, songs written about the city, movements....etc) 1.) SF/Chicago 2.) Miami (distant second here)......Most Photographed: 1.) SF 2.) Chicago 3.) Miami (Distant 3rd here).......Fashion: 1.) Miami 2.) SF/Chicago......Famous for its Food: 1.) Chicago 2.) SF (distant second) 3.) Miami (distant 3rd)....... Politics: 1.) Chicago 2.) SF 3.) Miami (distant 3rd).......Most Visited Attractions: 1.) SF 2.) Chicago 3.) Miami........Celebrity cities: 1.) Miami 2.) Chicago (distant second) 3.) SF (distant 3rd)

So if you take away the contributions of each city that doesn't fall into our subconscience, I think this what we may come up with: 1.) SF 2.) Chicago (close second) 3.) Miami

Miami by far kills on the celebrity point but severly lacks in other aspects that would put it on our mind such as photography, cultural influence, and politics. How many relevant musicians (not one record wonders) come from Miami oppose to the other two? How many songs were dedicated to that city opposed to the other two? While its the best at hosting sporting events, it lacks in relevant sports teams and Icons. I guess the Heat changes this point of view a little recently, but the Bay Area and Chicago are historically known for their sporting icons and teams.

So this leaves me with Chi vs SF. I gave SF a slight edge here (ok I'm a homer, but aren't we all..lol) Since Chicago does better in many areas and vice versa for SF, you almost have to go with just plain old public opinion. More people in the general public have an opinion on SF (good or bad) more than any city not named NY, LA or DC. The general public can be indifferent to Chicago at times since it's people (celebrities withstanding) are not really famous/or infamous. But if I'm wrong somebody help me out and finish this sentence; The people of Chicago are famous for being???? Or the people of Chicago are???Please leave out personal opinions of that city. Is there in accent? Chicago slang? We all know the landmarks and Chicago's relevance on an international scale but we don't know the people. That is why I edged SF over Chicago because people can have such a strong opinion on SF albeit good or bad about the locals and the environment even though they never been there. The only way to achieve such opinions are through exposure. I guess we call them stereotypes. You can't speak on something you never hear about. I've never heard the people in Chicago be stereotyped......only on city-data....of course

Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 PM

105 posts, read 470,626 times
Legendary Bay Area songs (off the top of my head):

1.) Sittin on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding

2.) The Lights - Journey

3.) Left My Heart In San Francisco - Tony Bennett

4.) California Love (Bay Area referenced) - Pac & Dre

Michael Jackson line from the hit Blame it On The Boogie "We spent the night in Frisco, at every kinda disco, from that night I kissed our love good-bye"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City