Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 08:08 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
If you could put the southern Cities in Tiers, what tiers would each fall in?

Tier 1
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
Miami

Sub Tiear 1a
Nashville
New Orleans
Fort Worth
North VA Suburbs

Tier 2
Charlotte
Raleigh
Orlando
Jacksonville
Birmingham
Memhpis
Oklahoma City
Richmond
Virginia Beach
Columbia
Austin
San Antonio
Louisville
El Paso

Tier 3
Norfolk
Durham
Greensboro
Greenville SC
Augusta
Montgomery
Jackson
Knoxville
Baton Rouge
Mobile
Asheville

If I left any cities out, sorry. You guys can fill in the left out cities or debate why some cities can be moved up or down into different tiers. Cities are not in order in tiers. and One note about Tier 1a, I didnt feel right about putting those cities in tier 1 or 2 so I had to make a inbetween tier
* You say "cities", but list NOVA suburbs as a "city", about the same way many on here say "city" and "metro" as if they're the same.

* Ft. Worth is really part of the Dallas metro area and are pretty much a part of the same economic engine.

* I'm dumbfounded that you have Charlotte at such a low tier. They have had one of the strongest economies in the nation for the last 30 years.

* Tampa really needs to be on this list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 09:04 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Baltimore area will always be its own MSA if Raleigh-Durham are only a CSA even though their physical borders touch. I don't get why people want their metro to join another city's metro so badly.
It's not about what I want; it's about what's inevitable. DC and Baltimore are simply becoming more and more interconnected over time, not less.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:30 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
We see what region is pushing that narrative.
We do, Kevin Plank, the Johns Hopkins president, T Rowe Price CEO among others from Baltimore. Not just Leonsis sir.

https://technical.ly/baltimore/2016/...nd-super-city/

Old 08-09-2018, 06:40 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
* You say "cities", but list NOVA suburbs as a "city", about the same way many on here say "city" and "metro" as if they're the same.

* Ft. Worth is really part of the Dallas metro area and are pretty much a part of the same economic engine.

* I'm dumbfounded that you have Charlotte at such a low tier. They have had one of the strongest economies in the nation for the last 30 years.

* Tampa really needs to be on this list
Charlotte is always last or close to last when describing tiers, which is unfortunate. The city may not be the most dense or urban, but noone can deny it's economic significance.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:24 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Charlotte is very lackluster for a big city but to have it in a tier with El Paso is disrespectful.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:09 AM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's not about what I want; it's about what's inevitable. DC and Baltimore are simply becoming more and more interconnected over time, not less.
I think they're becoming more different. DC is growing, Baltimore keeps shrinking. DC is gentrifying, Baltimore is getting worse.

Marketing initiatives can say what they want, these are two cities going in opposite directions.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:26 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I think they're becoming more different. DC is growing, Baltimore keeps shrinking. DC is gentrifying, Baltimore is getting worse.

Marketing initiatives can say what they want, these are two cities going in opposite directions.
My point was that their metro areas are becoming more intertwined over time. Statistics and growth/development patterns bear this out.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:38 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Charlotte is very lackluster for a big city but to have it in a tier with El Paso is disrespectful.
Charlotte is lackluster compared to what city?

Old 08-12-2018, 12:09 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Where Tampa, Jacksonville will land ?

Old 08-12-2018, 12:22 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Charlotte is lackluster compared to what city?
I'm waiting on the answer as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City