Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 11:09 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Baltimore area will always be its own MSA if Raleigh-Durham are only a CSA even though their physical borders touch. I don't get why people want their metro to join another city's metro so badly.
I don't think you can definitvely say that, you have no idea what will happen over 30 years. Especially, when the majority of growth in the CSA goes on between DC and Baltimore MSA suburbs. Even if the two MSA's dont combine, you most definitely could see a county or two flip into the adjacent MSA with more gravitational pull. This is not only possible but probably likely in 30 years.

The better question is why you want to deny what is happening so badly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 12:44 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I don't think you can definitvely say that, you have no idea what will happen over 30 years. Especially, when the majority of growth in the CSA goes on between DC and Baltimore MSA suburbs. Even if the two MSA's dont combine, you most definitely could see a county or two flip into the adjacent MSA with more gravitational pull. This is not only possible but probably likely in 30 years.

The better question is why you want to deny what is happening so badly?
Are you asking me why I prefer Baltimore (and all other metros for that matter) to remain independent? Combining two large metros dilutes one city's culture in favor for the other; it already happens due to proximity (e.g., many people feel that Philly is a smaller version of NYC, and at times Philly plays up to that narrative). Baltimore, on the other hand, generally does not like DC, our cultures are completely different, separate media markets, we don't root for DC teams (not even the Wizards are they were originally a Baltimore team). We really do not like being associated with DC. DC on the other hand, from my experiences, really try to group the two metros together....

People not from either area don't know any better.

This isn't to start an argument, but I'm telling you what I've gathered from my experiences personal and other.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 11-11-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Are you asking me why I prefer Baltimore (and all other metros for that matter) to remain independent? Combining two large metros dilutes one city's culture in favor for the other; it already happens due to proximity (e.g., many people feel that Philly is a smaller version of NYC, and at times Philly plays up to that narrative). Baltimore, on the other hand, generally does not like DC, our cultures are completely different, separate media markets, we don't root for DC teams (not even the Wizards are they were originally a Baltimore team). We really do not like being associated with DC. DC on the other hand, from my experiences, really try to group the two metros together....

People not from either area don't know any better.

This isn't to start an argument, but I'm telling you what I've gathered from my experiences personal and other.
Understood, however none of that has anything to do with two metros that already have some suburbs that are intertwined, either conjoining or county's breaking off to go either way with one or the other, over the next 30 plus years. Your point about the Wizards and sports can do nothing to change that. It's one thing to not like something or some place or not care to see things happen, but it's another to just deny what's what. This part of the country (I mean Mid-Atlantic on up to NY, Boston etc) is not like the rest of the country. There are metros on top of metros that have long beyond sprawled into each other. Not to claim them as one metro, but simply put there is hardly any dividing line between many of them. To sit here and assume that in another 30 years this won't even increase more is unrealistic.

Btw your point of the Wizards and (as well as the Caps I'll say) is off, the fan base undoubtedly encroaches the Baltimore region. And again we went over the separate media markets thing before with regards to Miami-West Palm being separate also.

Last edited by the resident09; 11-11-2017 at 02:56 PM..

Old 11-11-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Understood, however none of that has anything to do with two metros that already have some suburbs that are intertwined, either conjoining or county's breaking off to go either way with one or the other, over the next 30 plus years. Your point about the Wizards and sports can do nothing to change that. It's one thing to not like something or some place or not care to see things happen, but it's another to just deny what's what. This part of the country (I mean Mid-Atlantic on up to NY, Boston etc) is not like the rest of the country. There are metros on top of metros that have long beyond sprawled into each other. Not to claim them as one metro, but simply put there is hardly any dividing line between many of them. To sit here and assume that in another 30 years this won't even increase more is unrealistic.

Btw your point of the Wizards and (as well as the Caps I'll say) is off, the fan base undoubtedly encroaches the Baltimore region. And again we went over the separate media markets thing before with regards to Miami-West Palm being separate also.

This is the question that I answered:
"Are you asking me why I prefer Baltimore (and all other metros for that matter) to remain independent?"

My point about sports is rooted in fact, as I can see first-hand because I live here; you may see a Caps' fan, but Baltimore, for the most part, Baltimore couldn't care less about hockey (I will say that of very few hockey fans you see around here, there are a lot of Penguins fans in the mix). Baltimore certainly doesn't care about the Wizards.

I have a question for you: Why do you want so badly for them to merge? Baltimore doesn't like DC, you don't think much of Baltimore, so what's up? I'd like to hear/read it directly from you than to assume.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
This is the question that I answered:
"Are you asking me why I prefer Baltimore (and all other metros for that matter) to remain independent?"

My point about sports is rooted in fact, as I can see first-hand because I live here; you may see a Caps' fan, but Baltimore, for the most part, Baltimore couldn't care less about hockey (I will say that of very few hockey fans you see around here, there are a lot of Penguins fans in the mix). Baltimore certainly doesn't care about the Wizards.

I have a question for you: Why do you want so badly for them to merge? Baltimore doesn't like DC, you don't think much of Baltimore, so what's up? I'd like to hear/read it directly from you than to assume.
What you experience in your own personal life regarding the sports teams this may be true, but I for one can say that I know as fact both Wizards and Caps have fans in and around Baltimore. I'm not just making this up to spew out over the Internet. I've also seen ABC2 and WBAL cover a sports report or two on both teams, for example in the playoffs.

As to your question, DC and Baltimore separate metros have already merged to make up a grander region of two major cities. This is not of my wanting or caring about, this just has actually taken place in my lifetime. This has nothing to do with keeping ones culture or liking a different sports team, the core of both cities will remain the same with that. You make these posts like I'm the one sitting here reaching, if anything your doing just that denying the fact these metro areas easily overlap. These two are already an existing CSA something your still in denial of acknowledging for no reason other than you to say you don't like nor care to be associated with DC. Only problem is the Census Buerau doesn't care about that, and that sounds like a personal problem to me. You don't come on here with anything fact based or statistical, just to say that you don't think the two metros should be lumped together.

So the only question to be stated is will this CSA become one MSA as to which you have said no, and I've said TBD. Or will DC's pull eventually add another county such as Howard or Anne Arundel from Baltimore's MSA, which it very well might. The growth of the region says that something's got to give, and this does not mention other counties like St. Mary's in Southern Md that will eventually be added also. I also firmly believe the urban areas will join next as evidenced by Boston-Providence earlier this year and is far less dense, which would further prove this premise.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Speak of the Devil:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.f0aae1b33e0a

Old 11-11-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
We see what region is pushing that narrative.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
What you experience in your own personal life regarding the sports teams this may be true, but I for one can say that I know as fact both Wizards and Caps have fans in and around Baltimore. I'm not just making this up to spew out over the Internet. I've also seen ABC2 and WBAL cover a sports report or two on both teams, for example in the playoffs.

As to your question, DC and Baltimore separate metros have already merged to make up a grander region of two major cities. This is not of my wanting or caring about, this just has actually taken place in my lifetime. This has nothing to do with keeping ones culture or liking a different sports team, the core of both cities will remain the same with that. You make these posts like I'm the one sitting here reaching, if anything your doing just that denying the fact these metro areas easily overlap. These two are already an existing CSA something your still in denial of acknowledging for no reason other than you to say you don't like nor care to be associated with DC. Only problem is the Census Buerau doesn't care about that, and that sounds like a personal problem to me. You don't come on here with anything fact based or statistical, just to say that you don't think the two metros should be lumped together.

So the only question to be stated is will this CSA become one MSA as to which you have said no, and I've said TBD. Or will DC's pull eventually add another county such as Howard or Anne Arundel from Baltimore's MSA, which it very well might. The growth of the region says that something's got to give, and this does not mention other counties like St. Mary's in Southern Md that will eventually be added also. I also firmly believe the urban areas will join next as evidenced by Boston-Providence earlier this year and is far less dense, which would further prove this premise.
You completely sidestepped the question. I'll just say that Baltimore represents Baltimore 410, 443, 667. I'm tired of having the discussion.

You, and the Washington Post, Ted Leonsis, DC posters on this site, and DC in general have an obsession with the run down little town and it's suburbs up I-95.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:39 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And yet Miami is the only one of the Big 5 that doesn't have flights to Asia, so I don't consider its geographic location superior to Atlanta's at all.
Atlanta having flights to Asia is determined by airlines and their business model.
Those routes can be eliminated by them at any time if they become unprofitable.
So where is the advantage to that?

Saying Miami's geographic location which has 3 seaports & 3 International airports isn't superior to landlocked Atlanta is quite amusing.

Pray that Delta Airlines never goes belly up.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Atlanta having flights to Asia is determined by airlines and their business model.
Those routes can be eliminated by them at any time if they become unprofitable.
So where is the advantage to that?

Saying Miami's geographic location which has 3 seaports & 3 International airports isn't superior to landlocked Atlanta is quite amusing.

Pray that Delta Airlines never goes belly up.
The Middle East is in Asia. Miami flies directly there. Miami has direct flights to Asia already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City