Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 10:03 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,126,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
They aren't, and everybody knows it. But welcome to City-Data where having big league sports is apparently one of the top two determinants of how important a city is...

Completely out of touch with reality, as all major cities have millions of people that live in these cities that are simply casual followers of the local teams (meaning to your point, may go to a game once in awhile but aren't ardent attendees) and millions more that don't care about the local teams one iota...

I've lived in plenty of cities that are sizable bit dont have "pro sports", and I'm a big sports fan; I currently live in Raleigh where there is an NHL squad that is fairly popular locally, but the city by no stretch revolves around it the way cities like Pgh or Buff where the teams are kinda the lifeblood of the cities. And there are none of the more popular sports leagues here, yet I do not in the slightest feel like I'm missing out on a worthy existence because my favorite leagues aren't here in town...

Never change, City Data. Never change hahaha...
What, you mean 7-8 poorly-attended home games a year for a single sport isn't the definition of a big city?

Losing the Chargers made me realize that there local existence did absolutely zilch for my life or day-to-day. Thank God they left. Taxpayer dollars to subsidize the NFL--no thanks. I'd rather watch the Chargers lose on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 10:06 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It does depend on the crowd. On the West Coast, the younger crowd are all about Austin. Yet far more people from California move to Dallas.

Houston is extremely popular among minorities and people from other countries. Austin is extremely popular among a younger millennial crowd and Caucasians. Dallas is the bridge between the two.
Yeah, I’ve never heard a black person talk about moving to Austin when Texas comes up in conversation. I hear about Houston, Dallas, and even San Antonio in Georgia all the time, but rarely if ever Austin.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:12 AM

1,321 posts, read 870,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
They aren't, and everybody knows it. But welcome to City-Data where having big league sports is apparently one of the top two determinants of how important a city is...

Completely out of touch with reality, as all major cities have millions of people that live in these cities that are simply casual followers of the local teams (meaning to your point, may go to a game once in awhile but aren't ardent attendees) and millions more that don't care about the local teams one iota...

I've lived in plenty of cities that are sizable bit dont have "pro sports", and I'm a big sports fan; I currently live in Raleigh where there is an NHL squad that is fairly popular locally, but the city by no stretch revolves around it the way cities like Pgh or Buff where the teams are kinda the lifeblood of the cities. And there are none of the more popular sports leagues here, yet I do not in the slightest feel like I'm missing out on a worthy existence because my favorite leagues aren't here in town...

Never change, City Data. Never change hahaha...
Lol so true. It seems like professional sports, mass transit, and "world class" institutions are the three ingredients that make a City Data darling.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:17 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,126,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemylk View Post
I agree with this. When I lived in NYC and mentioned I used to live in Texas, most people wanted to move to Houston (they were usually black or Latino).

In L.A., most people say Austin. A few Dallas.
Not directing this at you or anything, but a lot of people on CD can't differentiate between what their crowd says and does and what society actually says and does. Those are 4 different interpretations and outcomes. Here's one from San Diego for instance:

Cat 1. My crowd says: want to move to SF/LA
Cat 2. My crowd does: moved to Denver/Portland
Cat 3. Society says: want to move to Austin/Seattle
Cat 4. Society does: moved to Phoenix/Las Vegas

I'm not aware of too many examples of when thoughts and actions align, especially across different crowds

There's a number of posts on here stating how "everyone is talking about X city or moving to X city". Well that's Category 1 anecdotal sampling and selection & affirmation bias. It's not representative of any reality of what society thinks or what your crowd or society actually does.

There's concrete data (even if incomplete) that indicates where people move (relocation data) or where they are thinking about moving (internet searches). I'm not sure why we rely so strongly on gut feelings.

Last edited by newgensandiego; 12-15-2020 at 10:28 AM..

Old 12-15-2020, 10:20 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,082,090 times
Just to add a bit to the debate of Houston vs Dallas, take in mind this is with Black Gold struggling for a few years. If for whatever reason (like Russia and Saudi Arabia stopped messing with oil prices) and demand post-Covid shot up again, we could see Houston MSA with GDP levels at or near San Francisco MSA and Washington D.C MSA. All of Houston’s recent economic info is with Black Gold down, when Black Gold was up even with the sizable population gap Houston was ahead in GDP and GDP per capita when compared to Dallas.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:27 AM

9,687 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I’d rather it be the correct tier. In this case, the correct tier, to me, is wherever Nashville is placed. 10 years ago I’d have had Austin with those two as well. But it does feel to be reaching a moment as it breaks out towards a new level.
I disagree. I have not seen any objective data putting Austin in a new "level" ahead of Charlotte.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:35 AM

9,914 posts, read 6,623,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Yes, like I said, the area was just reopening after covid shut downs. But what I meant is beach related development. The beach is there, there are hotels, but what he was talking about is suplemental development.
He wanted to go buy a case of water and walk up and down the beach selling water.

There are no vendors, little if any businesses renting jet skis, the souvenir shops are far and few Inbetween.
Ofcourse there could be more hotels, but apart from that there really isn't much of a supporting cast either.
Same for the lakes and rivers. I had no idea that there were about 4 rivers running through the metro
This one is particularly untrue. There’s plenty of jet skis there and it’s known for that. I’ll have to disagree on your assessment here. I particularly like the sea wall for what it has to offer even though I don’t particularly enjoy the beach (besides a few weeks in the year when it clears up). There’s an entire water park and amusement park. The beaches even have publicly owned souvenir shops and “water” sales. Plenty of beach side bars. On top of the great food that that is offered there. Not completely sure what’s opened and closed since Covid but it’s definitely not as you’re describing it.

That said, that doesn’t mean I don’t agree that it’s not implemented into th metro very well but this has more to do with the distance between Galveston and the high concentration population centers.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:38 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 19 hours ago)

8,360 posts, read 5,521,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Not directing this at you or anything, but a lot of people on CD can't differentiate between what their crowd says and does and what society actually says and does. Those are 4 different interpretations and outcomes. Here's one from San Diego for instance:

Cat 1. My crowd says: want to move to SF/LA
Cat 2. My crowd does: moved to Denver/Portland
Cat 3. Society says: want to move to Austin/Seattle
Cat 4. Society does: moved to Phoenix/Las Vegas

I'm not aware of too many examples of when thoughts and actions align, especially across different crowds

There's a number of posts on here stating how "everyone is talking about X city or moving to X city". Well that's Category 1 anecdotal sampling and selection & affirmation bias. It's not representative of any reality of what society thinks or what your crowd or society actually does.

There's concrete data (even if incomplete) that indicates where people move (relocation data) or where they are thinking about moving (internet searches). I'm not sure why we rely so strongly on gut feelings.
Ironically, the concrete data says that, other than Seattle, Las Vegas, Denver, and Phoenix, Dallas gets more people from California than any other metro area in the US. That is overwhelmingly fueled by LA, Orange, San Diego, San Bernadino, and Riverside counties.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 12-15-2020 at 10:48 AM..

Old 12-15-2020, 10:43 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,858,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I disagree. I have not seen any objective data putting Austin in a new "level" ahead of Charlotte.
I meant above Nashville and the Triangle. Austin is on the cusp of the Charlotte level.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:53 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,407,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Because this is America where the vast majority of cities have bad transit ridership that have been in decline over the past several years, and it's already a challenge for Sunbelt cities like Charlotte to get an effective, up-to-par system up and running as it is. However, from 2017 to 2018, Charlotte experienced a significant drop in overall ridership, more than any other city in fact; however, it's worth noting that the losses occurred on buses, streetcar, and demand response service for the elderly and disabled. Light-rail ridership was stable during that same period.
Of course, but my point was that it doesn't seem like Charlotte's LRT is much of an advantage, given that nobody really rides transit in Charlotte at all. Austin's bus system, which isn't particularly big itself, beats Charlotte transit ridership fairly easily. Austin's existing commuter rail line is pretty useless as a standalone system, but I think its utility should go up a lot when the blue and orange lines are built over the next decade.

Overall Charlotte and Austin are different cities with different strengths and weaknesses, but I don't see an argument for either city clearly separating from the other. I'd probably throw Nashville in there as well even though it is a notably smaller city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City