Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 12:41 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't see how Chattanooga is in Tier 4
Chattanooga has had a lot of growth & development lately and definitely belongs in tier 4. This is a case where metro numbers can be deceiving. Chatt is hard up against the Cumberland plateau and it's major satellite city, Cleveland, is just enough removed to be it's own metro.

Greenville is the one I think belongs in tier 5. It is a wonderful place with great growth but just recently outgrowing its small town roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 03:52 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,236 times
The most obvious omission is Little Rock, along with Savannah, and Lexington. I would place LR in tier 4, and Sav., and Lex. in high 5. Wilmington, tier 5 for sure, with its southern neighbor Myrtle Beach, creeping up towards 5. Ft. Worth I've discovered, is the 15th largest city in America, with almost 900,000 peeps. I'm guessing if I lived there, and people didn't differentiate us from Dallas, that would **** me off. Somewhere mid to low tier 2, to the top of 3. Southwest Florida, from Bradenton, through Sarasota, Fort Myers, and Naples, how does the MSA, CSA work? Do they all line up together, or separately?, I don't know.
Fort Lauderdale, seems connected to Miami, but different to me. I mean, all of South Florida is connected down the East Coast, but it's been 16 years since I've been down there. I know the area has changed a lot since then.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:09 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
Tier 1
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
Miami

Tier 2
Austin
Charlotte
Nashville
Orlando
San Antonio
Tampa/St. Pete
Raleigh/Durham
Virginia Beach

Tier 3
Jacksonville
Louisville
Memphis
Richmond
New Orleans
OKC
Birmingham
Ft. Lauderdale
Tulsa

Tier 4
Charleston
Columbia
Greenville
Knoxville
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Baton Rouge
Chattanooga

Tier 5
Asheville
Augusta
Montgomery
Mobile
Huntsville
Jackson
Tallahassee
What about El Paso, Texas population of 600,000+

Old 08-18-2018, 07:27 PM

218 posts, read 220,533 times
El Paso is not a southern city. It's South West. More like Albuquerque and Tucson than it is too Little Rock and Nashville.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:24 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
The most obvious omission is Little Rock, along with Savannah, and Lexington. I would place LR in tier 4, and Sav., and Lex. in high 5. Wilmington, tier 5 for sure, with its southern neighbor Myrtle Beach, creeping up towards 5. Ft. Worth I've discovered, is the 15th largest city in America, with almost 900,000 peeps. I'm guessing if I lived there, and people didn't differentiate us from Dallas, that would **** me off. Somewhere mid to low tier 2, to the top of 3. Southwest Florida, from Bradenton, through Sarasota, Fort Myers, and Naples, how does the MSA, CSA work? Do they all line up together, or separately?, I don't know.
Fort Lauderdale, seems connected to Miami, but different to me. I mean, all of South Florida is connected down the East Coast, but it's been 16 years since I've been down there. I know the area has changed a lot since then.
Ft. Worth is part of DFW, no way it should be separate here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What about El Paso, Texas population of 600,000+
El Paso is not southern.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:55 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Chattanooga does not belong in the same tier as Knoxville, one clearly has a greater standing within Tennessee. Chattanooga also is not on the same tier as Little Rock or The South Carolina Triumvirate...

Old 08-19-2018, 06:14 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Ft. Worth is part of DFW, no way it should be separate here.
Sure it's part of DFW, but Fort Worth has its own identity and sphere of influence within the region as a primary city of the Metroplex. Fort Worth anchors its own metropolitan division of 2.5 million within the Metroplex.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:25 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sure it's part of DFW, but Fort Worth has its own identity and sphere of influence within the region as a primary city of the Metroplex. Fort Worth anchors its own metropolitan division of 2.5 million within the Metroplex.
For multi-core metros where there is clearly a dominant city, I think that it's to be expected that the second city does everything that it can to exert its own identity. In this case, one can make an argument that Ft. Worth is the largest "overlooked" city in the entire country because it lives in the shadow of Dallas. Imagine being a city proper of nearly 900,000 and having to fight for visibility.
The conundrum for the Metroplex is that they are only "larger" than Houston when they are unified. In effect, Dallas' pecking-order position in the state is dependent on Ft. Worth's significant numbers.
From a regional perspective, Dallas-Ft Worth arguably sits atop tier one in the South, but would likely drop to 4th without Ft. Worth's inclusion. In turn, Ft. Worth alone could make an argument for being on the top of Tier 2.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:17 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
For multi-core metros where there is clearly a dominant city, I think that it's to be expected that the second city does everything that it can to exert its own identity. In this case, one can make an argument that Ft. Worth is the largest "overlooked" city in the entire country because it lives in the shadow of Dallas. Imagine being a city proper of nearly 900,000 and having to fight for visibility.
The conundrum for the Metroplex is that they are only "larger" than Houston when they are unified. In effect, Dallas' pecking-order position in the state is dependent on Ft. Worth's significant numbers.
From a regional perspective, Dallas-Ft Worth arguably sits atop tier one in the South, but would likely drop to 4th without Ft. Worth's inclusion. In turn, Ft. Worth alone could make an argument for being on the top of Tier 2.
We agree on premise, which is why I view Fort Worth and Dallas separately here. However, without Fort Worth, here is a realistic snapshot of the Dallas MD:

https://www.forbes.com/places/tx/dallas/

By most significant measures, Dallas is a far more productive city than Miami, with a smaller population. Miami is the city pulling in the rear of The Big 4, by a pretty obvious margin...

I'd also disagree that Fort Worth has a case for the top of Tier 4. Charlotte has pretty much solidified that position, but even if that's debatable to some, Fort Worth has to contend with Austin before even considering it's out of state competition. Fort Worth is definitely in Tier 2. It isn't at the top, though...

Old 08-20-2018, 06:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
We agree on premise, which is why I view Fort Worth and Dallas separately here. However, without Fort Worth, here is a realistic snapshot of the Dallas MD:

https://www.forbes.com/places/tx/dallas/

By most significant measures, Dallas is a far more productive city than Miami, with a smaller population. Miami is the city pulling in the rear of The Big 4, by a pretty obvious margin...

I'd also disagree that Fort Worth has a case for the top of Tier 4. Charlotte has pretty much solidified that position, but even if that's debatable to some, Fort Worth has to contend with Austin before even considering it's out of state competition. Fort Worth is definitely in Tier 2. It isn't at the top, though...
My point is that Ft Worth inclusion elevates Dallas' profile, as do all second and third cities do for the main/dominant city in a multicore metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City