Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: food orgasm:
New Orleans 96 56.80%
Los Angeles 73 43.20%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 02:42 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times

Advertisements

New Orleans- See Tony Bourdain quotes below:

If you were picking any two cities – one in the U.S. and one overseas – that you would tell someone they absolutely had to eat, what would they be?

Tokyo would probably be the foreign city if I had to eat one city’s food for the rest of my life, every day. It would have to be Tokyo, and I think the majority of chefs you ask that question would answer the same way.

In America, there might be better gastronomic destinations than New Orleans, but there is no place more uniquely wonderful. So I would say New Orleans. With the best restaurants in New York, you’ll find something similar to it in Paris or Copenhagen or Chicago. But there is no place like New Orleans. So it’s a must see city because there’s no explaining it, no describing it. You can’t compare it to anything. So, far and away New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 PM

507 posts, read 806,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
New Orleans- See Tony Bourdain quotes below:

If you were picking any two cities – one in the U.S. and one overseas – that you would tell someone they absolutely had to eat, what would they be?

Tokyo would probably be the foreign city if I had to eat one city’s food for the rest of my life, every day. It would have to be Tokyo, and I think the majority of chefs you ask that question would answer the same way.

In America, there might be better gastronomic destinations than New Orleans, but there is no place more uniquely wonderful. So I would say New Orleans. With the best restaurants in New York, you’ll find something similar to it in Paris or Copenhagen or Chicago. But there is no place like New Orleans. So it’s a must see city because there’s no explaining it, no describing it. You can’t compare it to anything. So, far and away New Orleans.
Ah yes Tony Bourdain, the NYC biased guy who also thinks that one of LA's best local cuisines is in-n-out lol

Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Los Angeles for sure. Not to take anything from New Orleans because I know it's a great eating city, but it does not have near the variety that LA has.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
Ah yes Tony Bourdain, the NYC biased guy who also thinks that one of LA's best local cuisines is in-n-out lol
THANK YOU!!! SO tired of this New York bias I see everywhere. I personally think LA has better and more variety of food!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:50 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
LA for me .. Because of variety

Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 PM

93 posts, read 158,193 times
All across it's Los Angeles
However New Orleans' got to have the best cajun food.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianX View Post
All across it's Los Angeles
However New Orleans' got to have the best cajun food.
For the 590458034th time:

New Orleans is NOT Cajun!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Los Angeles for its variety.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
I'm not a big fan of the guy either, primarily because of his incessant mocking of vegetarians, of which I am one. I'm used to it on the one hand, but his comment about it was that he felt it was an arrogant, first-world luxury... ironic, considering this is a man who makes millions of dollars traveling across the globe trying new foods for a cable channel about food

However, this said, he had an article on CNN last week about how much he loves LA's Koreatown.

The ever-changing flavor of L.A.'s Koreatown – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs

8 things to know about L.A.'s Koreatown - CNN.com

Perhaps, like many other people, he simply hadn't spent enough time in LA to take it in for all that it is, which isn't an indictment... it's difficult to comprehend exactly how huge and diverse LA's culture is until you've actually spent some time here.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:00 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I also found him kind of arrogant and annoying at his snarks about Paula Deen. While she may not be the healthiest person to take cooking advice from, he was quite nasty to her in some of his remarks. Her come-back to him was appropriate though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City