Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: food orgasm:
New Orleans 96 56.80%
Los Angeles 73 43.20%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,449 times

Advertisements

I think a better comparison here would be Charleston vs. NOLA. Lowcountry cuisine vs. creole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:47 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I think this is a fair comparison, a city known around the world for it's cuisine and a city known for it's immense variety.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
Like I said before you can pay $50 fora bad meal in LA and $7 for a haute meal in New Orleans. I give the edge to NOLA- seafood, French, and overall taste.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Like I said before you can pay $50 fora bad meal in LA and $7 for a haute meal in New Orleans. I give the edge to NOLA- seafood, French, and overall taste.
I can also pay $7 or less for a "haute" meal in LA if you're willing to step out of the main tourist areas. Same in SF, NYC, Boston, Chicago...

I don't like seafood, and most French food isn't really to my palate, so LA wins this one by a nautical mile for me

Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I can also pay $7 or less for a "haute" meal in LA if you're willing to step out of the main tourist areas. Same in SF, NYC, Boston, Chicago...
"Haute cusine" means "high cuisine" and basically just refers to expensive high-end luxury establishments, so I'm not sure where one is eating at high-end restaurants(which in itself usually constitutes expensive) for $7 or less in any of those cities(or really in New Orleans either). I can maybe eat "haute cusine" in some cheaper places in Latin America for around $10--but in the US? New Orleans is much cheaper than many major cities, but I'm usually paying at $6-7 just for a po'boy or maybe a bowl of red beans and rice and a drink at a little hole in the wall.

You can eat good food for $7 or less if you're going to really cheaper ethnic restaurants or food trucks or that sort of thing and not ordering very much, but the price of food is fairly high in US cities. Even at food trucks in Los Angeles(or food carts in Portland), it's usually at least $7 for lunch. Sure you can eat tacos and burritos for cheap, but often even burritos run about $5-$6...

So I'm not sure if people have a different definition of "haute" than what I'm familiar with.

Last edited by Deezus; 04-26-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,340 times
Los Angeles has more diversity in food options. I could eat Creole cusine here, and all other types of cuisine in LA. You get tired of Jambalaya and Po Boys after a while.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Los Angeles has more diversity in food options. I could eat Creole cusine here, and all other types of cuisine in LA. You get tired of Jambalaya and Po Boys after a while.
First of all, you can't eat creole food anywhere outside of south LA, either the cook is cooking off some recipe book or your area doesn't have the right ingredients. You don't know what you're talking about if all you think is offered is Creole and Cajun food. You'd have to be a fool to think our amazing chefs here don't know how to cook other dishes.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
First of all, you can't eat creole food anywhere outside of south LA, either the cook is cooking off some recipe book or your area doesn't have the right ingredients. You don't know what you're talking about if all you think is offered is Creole and Cajun food. You'd have to be a fool to think our amazing chefs here don't know how to cook other dishes.
I don't think New Orleans is all one thing at all, but its doesn't come close to LA in variety of food offerings.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I don't think New Orleans is all one thing at all, but its doesn't come close to LA in variety of food offerings.
Of course. People act like the only thing to eat here is fast food and Creole food.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm sure there are a few places in the world that aren't South Louisiana where you can eat good, authentic creole food. Also I initially read that as South L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City