Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: food orgasm:
New Orleans 96 56.80%
Los Angeles 73 43.20%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Are you implying that fresh, high quality ingredients aren't important in the culinary world? That would qualify as one of the dumbest rationales. Ask three star chef Eric Ripert:

The Food Section - Food News, Recipes, and More

"There are great restaurants in L.A. It wasn't like this 10 years ago. There's great respect for the quality of ingredients -- I'm talking about the produce -- here. I think in New York, you have to use more tricks, maybe manipulate a little more to get the full flavor of vegetables sometimes."

This is a three star chef, who can get stuff flown in from anywhere in the world, without any thought to the costs, saying he has to work a little harder to get the best flavor out of his food in New York. Imagine how hard it will be for the mom and pop places in New York who can't get stuff flown as quickly? No surprise why I was so underwhelmed by NY's dining scene (love Le Bernardin though; cost a fortune, but worth every penny ).

<Saying NY has better burgers in LA is akin to me saying LA has better pizza slices than NY. It's that dumb.>
I think it's funny how Californians always talk about produce, typical though. Let's talk about Italian in LA. The Italian food in LA should be fed a to a stray dog and is of the lowest quality in the U.S. Southerners make better Italian food than you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 AM

525 posts, read 899,469 times
Default food

Being from l.a. and now living in N.O. I would say L.A.mainly because of the health dept is much more stringent in Cali. Most resturants especially inthe Quarter are very dirty. The food is also unhealthy in NOLA most is fried and heavily buttured very heavily. the dishes are very good but too much is very unhealthy.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:41 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Being from l.a. and now living in N.O. I would say L.A.mainly because of the health dept is much more stringent in Cali. Most resturants especially inthe Quarter are very dirty. The food is also unhealthy in NOLA most is fried and heavily buttured very heavily. the dishes are very good but too much is very unhealthy.
This is very true, the food in NOLA is greased up. I voted for LA.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
L.A. remains the 'City of the Future'. Some day in the future, it will become a real city. When that day comes, perhaps L.A. will be blessed by Michelin.

BTW is this what you were talking about? lol

"According to Directeur Général Jean-Luc Naret, Michelin Guide chose not to publish a guide on Los Angeles restaurants because Angelenos "prefer to select the restaurant not based on the number of Michelin stars, but based on the number of stars who go to the restaurant."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_754589.html

Quote:
Pretty much every aspect of LA is underrated and underestimated, but that means little. LA is a powerhouse food city, arguably the best in the country--with the credentials to prove it.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
L.A. remains the 'City of the Future'. Some day in the future, it will become a real city. When that day comes, perhaps L.A. will be blessed by Michelin.

BTW is this what you were talking about? lol

"According to Directeur Général Jean-Luc Naret, Michelin Guide chose not to publish a guide on Los Angeles restaurants because Angelenos "prefer to select the restaurant not based on the number of Michelin stars, but based on the number of stars who go to the restaurant."

Los Angeles: No Michelin Stars For LA
LA had 20 michelin star restaurants prior to them closing up shop here--they'll be back when they climb out of the financial hole they're in.

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

You're clearly trapped in a Stage 1-2 limbo. At least Gateway has moved on to stage 3 (accepting that LA is in the 2-5 range as a food city). He's making progress. When will you take the next step?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
Are you serious?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,096 times
Quote:
LA had 20 michelin star restaurants prior to them closing up shop here--they'll be back when they climb out of the financial hole they're in.

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

You're clearly trapped in a Stage 1-2 limbo. At least Gateway has moved on to stage 3 (accepting that LA is in the 2-5 range as a food city). He's making progress. When will you take the next step?
You're ridiculous, but since you've chosen the "ignore you and I win" route, I won't be expecting a response.

New Orleans is famous the world over for its food. L.A.... not so much. Case closed.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
New Orleans has southern & regional flavor down, but LA blows it away on variety. Its just not that close. This whole debate boils down to what your criteria are. If its a city being famous for a particular genre of food, than New Orleans wins. If its size, variety, number of great restaurants, different ethnic specialties, then LA wins very easily. It has to, its 10x the size of NOla

Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
New Orleans has southern & regional flavor down, but LA blows it away on variety. Its just not that close. This whole debate boils down to what your criteria are. If its a city being famous for a particular genre of food, than New Orleans wins. If its size, variety, number of great restaurants, different ethnic specialties, then LA wins very easily. It has to, its 10x the size of NOla
I'd agree with what you say about L.A. except the "number of great restaurants" part. Expensive and make you feel more important than you are, which seems to be RCL's cup of tea? Yes. But for overall quality, NOLA wins hands down.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I'd agree with what you say about L.A. except the "number of great restaurants" part. Expensive and make you feel more important than you are, which seems to be RCL's cup of tea? Yes. But for overall quality, NOLA wins hands down.

Thats such a subjective and personal thing that you can not say that except for yourself. Believe it or not there are people who dont care for southern/cajun or creole food. Then what. What if you are really into sushi, Korean, and Mexican food?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City