Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: food orgasm:
New Orleans 96 56.80%
Los Angeles 73 43.20%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You can get organic food across the country. Just because there is a lot of sugar grown in Louisiana doesn't make our Koolaid taste any better.
Sugar isn't perishable the way fruits, vegetables and meats are. The fresher it is, the better the food will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Of course the fresher the ingredients, the better the food but it's not the sole factor in good food.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
yeah that's ridiculous. New York crushes L.A. food-wise, without the benefit of all that 'California produce' - lol.
No they just fly it in....

Old 10-28-2011, 09:24 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
No they just fly it in....
Why wouldn't they fly it in though? And what is wrong with flying it in? The only thing it really effects is the access to food for the common household, doesn't effect the restaurants much. And it certainly doesn't effect the talent and training of the chef.
If anything, I would respect a chef more if he can transform something amazing out of something very little, rather than just serving things as they are, which seems to be the focus of at least some California cuisine. This is interesting and all, but why shouldn't I just go to the farmers market myself and get my own food? I go to restaurants to see what the chefs can manipulate and create, not that they can present to me some fresh finds and present me a fresh avocado seared salmon and olive oil. I'd much rather have something that took them hours or even days to prepare.
The whole "local food" movement presents a paradox to me as a food lover. I tried to explain it above but not sure how well it came out. Local food to me seems more concerned with carbon footprint, rather than how good the food tastes (though it does often taste good).

Old 10-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Why wouldn't they fly it in though? And what is wrong with flying it in? The only thing it really effects is the access to food for the common household, doesn't effect the restaurants much. And it certainly doesn't effect the talent and training of the chef.
If anything, I would respect a chef more if he can transform something amazing out of something very little, rather than just serving things as they are, which seems to be the focus of at least some California cuisine. This is interesting and all, but why shouldn't I just go to the farmers market myself and get my own food? I go to restaurants to see what the chefs can manipulate and create, not that they can present to me some fresh finds and present me a fresh avocado seared salmon and olive oil. I'd much rather have something that took them hours or even days to prepare.
The whole "local food" movement presents a paradox to me as a food lover. I tried to explain it above but not sure how well it came out. Local food to me seems more concerned with carbon footprint, rather than how good the food tastes (though it does often taste good).
Spot on. I agree.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 PM

The top chefs disagree however. That's why most of them have seasonal menus--they literally create dishes around produce that's in season. Thomas Keller, arguably the best chef in America, has a three acre garden adjacent to his landmark French Laundry restaurant. His chefs pick the freshest produce right off the vine. Why would Mr. Keller go through that trouble if it was unimportant?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
yeah that's ridiculous. New York crushes L.A. food-wise, without the benefit of all that 'California produce' - lol.
Generally at a higher cost for the good stuff.

However, upstate New York is agriculturally awesome. Apple-picking goodness. There's a good bit of agriculture in the northeast, y'know?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The top chefs disagree however. That's why most of them have seasonal menus--they literally create dishes around produce that's in season. Thomas Keller, arguably the best chef in America, has a three acre garden adjacent to his landmark French Laundry restaurant. His chefs pick the freshest produce right off the vine. Why would Mr. Keller go through that trouble if it was unimportant?
Too bad he is not in LA...wasn't that something to do with the premise? What top chefs are in LA, which are in New Orleans? Hmmm...
Thomas Keller is based out of the Bay Area, not LA. Bouchon in LA is just a clone of the one in the Bay Area...there is one in Las Vegas and NYC also. Ahhh details.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Most chefs have menu's based off of the ingredients that are in season. Not special to LA chefs.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:29 PM

Keller does have a restaurant in LA--The Bouchon in Beverly Hills.

LA has better access to the good stuff, that gives the ethnic eateries here a leg up, since most of those places simply make do with the best that's available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City