Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: food orgasm:
New Orleans 96 56.80%
Los Angeles 73 43.20%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 03:28 AM

611 posts, read 1,600,204 times

Advertisements

NO is very good at what its known for, but compared to LA, it's one dimensional or not as dynamic. You can get very authentic ethnic food in LA, not just an "imitation". With the sheer amount of ethnic populace you find in LA, it's not very hard to find authenticity in the food. "Korean", "Vietnanese", "Mexican", or "Chinese", being a good example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 04:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's because you probably didn't eat Cajun food.
Creole then? I don't know, it was some famous restaurant in the French Quarter...I had gumbo and jambalaya, which was like a mostly tasteless, lightly-spiced rice soup with a few pieces of seafood in it. If I want spicy food I'll go for Asian food. Reading the responses don't know why NOLA is winning in the poll. It's a great city, and it has some great food, but I think the whoel Creole/Cajun whatever is overrated. I did on the other hand really dig soul food/BBQ elsewhere in theSouth.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:44 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
NO is very good at what its known for, but compared to LA, it's one dimensional or not as dynamic. You can get very authentic ethnic food in LA, not just an "imitation". With the sheer amount of ethnic populace you find in LA, it's not very hard to find authenticity in the food. "Korean", "Vietnanese", "Mexican", or "Chinese", being a good example.
You're acting like those foods are soooooo hard to find outside of California. They're not. You could always argue that California has more Asian or Mexican food, but as I've stated above, more doesn't always mean better, especially if we're talking about restaurants. I doubt there's an appreciable difference between a Los Angeles Vietnamese restaurant and a New Orleans Vietnamese restaurant. But I bet you there's a hell of a difference between the crawfish served in a Burbank restaurant and the crawfish served in a Metairie restaurant.

New Orleans has a food culture. The people there, as well as many of the people who travel there, are very enthusiastic about food. People go to restaurants there for the food, not because Paris Hilton tweeted about it. I would actually buy a ticket and go to New Orleans simply for the food...can't say I'd do the same for LA. Why would I go to LA for the food when I can get Indian, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Burmese food all in DC? I'd just be going for a slightly better version of the same foods. In New Orleans, on the other hand, I'd be going for an entirely different and unique culinary experience.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Creole then? I don't know, it was some famous restaurant in the French Quarter...I had gumbo and jambalaya, which was like a mostly tasteless, lightly-spiced rice soup with a few pieces of seafood in it. If I want spicy food I'll go for Asian food. Reading the responses don't know why NOLA is winning in the poll. It's a great city, and it has some great food, but I think the whoel Creole/Cajun whatever is overrated. I did on the other hand really dig soul food/BBQ elsewhere in theSouth.
You had two dishes that can vary greatly from cook to cook and write off the entire cuisine? Creole food isn't the only food in NOLA. You could have had authentic Italian, West African, Kosher, or French cuisine as well. New Orleans is not one dimensional, never has been. It's immigrant background is diverse.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
I just find it funny that everyone seems to think that there is no ethnic variety of food to be found in New Orleans. I know that Los Angeles should be much more diverse so they should have more food options, but people act like gumbo and red beans (which technically are not really even creole cuisine and are moreso just regional staples) are the only thing that can be eaten in New Orleans. Common sense should tell people that since the city is know for a particular food that any other type will be overshawdowed. New Orleans is definitely not as black and white as it seems on paper.

By the way, you have not tasted the true New Orleans cuisine if you come to New Orleans and only eat red beans, gumbo, and/or jambalaya. If it's tasteless you really got shortchanged.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:59 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You had two dishes that can vary greatly from cook to cook and write off the entire cuisine? Creole food isn't the only food in NOLA. You could have had authentic Italian, West African, Kosher, or French cuisine as well. New Orleans is not one dimensional, never has been. It's immigrant background is diverse.
The Italian food in New Orleans is first rate.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:26 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
Los Angeles always stumbles on food, one of the many flaws of that fine city.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Los Angeles always stumbles on food, one of the many flaws of that fine city.
Can't agree with you there. LA's culinary scene is great

Old 10-22-2011, 02:48 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,603 times
New Orleans does have amazing southern/Cajun/soul type of food, but LA is more diverse and has a good eclectic mix of restaurants.
My vote goes to LA for that reason alone.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
new orleans is not cajun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City