Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: food orgasm:
New Orleans 96 56.80%
Los Angeles 73 43.20%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
This.
Whereas sushi, burritos, and curry are not originally American cuisine and were brought here through immigration.
Burritos were invented in Arizona, not in Mexico.

Just like chop suey and fortune cookies were not invented in China, and chicken tikka masala was not invented in India or Pakistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:45 PM

428 posts, read 831,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Oh ok, so what other kind of food is New Orleans known for besides Creole Food?
Fine dining in general, more so than LA for sure. Generally NYC, San Fran and New Orleans are considered America's best restaurant cities. Cajun food is country food and largely found far outside of New Orleans.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Fine dining in general, more so than LA for sure. Generally NYC, San Fran and New Orleans are considered America's best restaurant cities. Cajun food is country food and largely found far outside of New Orleans.
Oh I see

Old 05-13-2010, 09:59 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Someone hit the nail on the head when they said that when someone thinks of New Orleans, they think more of original and famous cuisine than they would thinking of Los Angeles. Los Angeles serves all the international and fusion cuisine that one could get the same or better in San Francisco, New York City, or Chicago. New Orleans food is original to its area, long-lasting, and memorable, rather than just being the ethnic flavor of the month as in L.A.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:35 AM

160 posts, read 183,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Well that was utterly racist...
My post wasn't racist. I am black myself. And a lot of people eat fried chicken, not just black people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Actually you made it racist thinking that by fried chicken and dirty rice he was talking about black people.
I am a she not a he. But thanks for pointing that out,he made the post racist and not me. I'm just going by what I have experinced with New Orleans food and it's just fattening home cooking (that I have been cooking for years, gumbo for example) that you can make yourself easily at home. LA food has more variety and is healthier overall.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilExquiste View Post
My post wasn't racist. I am black myself. And a lot of people eat fried chicken, not just black people.

I am a she not a he. But thanks for pointing that out,he made the post racist and not me. I'm just going by what I have experinced with New Orleans food and it's just fattening home cooking (that I have been cooking for years, gumbo for example) that you can make yourself easily at home. LA food has more variety and is healthier overall.
Sounds more like an experience with Popeyes.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
NOLA has the best Italian food I ever ate. LA is a type of city that you can pay $30 for a crappy meal in a luxury restaurant and NOLA is a place where you can pay $7 dollars for a great meal in a hole in a wall

Old 05-14-2010, 10:36 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
NOLA has the best Italian food I ever ate. LA is a type of city that you can pay $30 for a crappy meal in a luxury restaurant and NOLA is a place where you can pay $7 dollars for a great meal in a hole in a wall
This post hits the nail on the head.

California cities in general are overpriced and overrated.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,208,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Sounds more like an experience with Popeyes.
It also sounds like someone who cannot afford to eat at nice places.

I dont know where the fried chicken thing came from, but if that's what her experience with New Orleans cuisine was like, I think it's fair to call her opinion on the matter irrelevant.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
Fried chicken is southern (and northern btw), not a native NO dish although people there fry and eat chicken. Dirty rice is largely a Louisiana thing as is gumbo. I don't know anything about what you cook in Va other than Va ham or hoppin' john. If you like LA food, good for you. I'm sure its fine. I'll stick with La and Tx food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City