Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:52 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

- Demographically- Houston is more diverse
- Politically- Raleigh is a state capital, inner city Houston is blue, suburban areas are conservative.
- Climate- Raleigh has better climate
- Geography / Terrain- Raleigh is landlocked
- Politically- You had politically listed twice?
- Economically- Houston no doubt
- Culturally- Houston is more integrated and diverse.
- Nightlife- Houston is the bigger city, what can you expect Raleigh to have over it?
- Religiously- Don't know.
- Etc.
1. Raleigh IS landlocked, but is only about an hour from the Atlantic Ocean and North Carolina's beaches. Is Houston really any closer to Galveston than that?

2. Houston obviously has a larger economy than Raleigh, but I'm not so sure that it's better than Raleigh's. RTP elevates Raleigh a great deal in that respect.

3. Raleigh is a smaller city, but often smaller cities DO have advantages over larger ones - in this case, the obvious advantage would be higher education opportunities. Of course Houston has some great universities, but Raleigh wins that one hands down based on number of quality institutions vs population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
1. Raleigh IS landlocked, but is only about an hour from the Atlantic Ocean and North Carolina's beaches. Is Houston really any closer to Galveston than that?

2. Houston obviously has a larger economy than Raleigh, but I'm not so sure that it's better than Raleigh's. RTP elevates Raleigh a great deal in that respect.

3. Raleigh is a smaller city, but often smaller cities DO have advantages over larger ones - in this case, the obvious advantage would be higher education opportunities. Of course Houston has some great universities, but Raleigh wins that one hands down based on number of quality institutions vs population.
Lol, yes but some colleges doesn't mean it has a better nightlife than Houston's.
And I already know it has better schools, Rice is alone for Houston, RTP has a lot of great schools.

Houston Bay touches the city, so Houston isn't "landlocked" but yes as far as beaches go, Galveston is about an hour or so away for some like me, but for others it can be more or less. Those in Pearland, Clear Lake, Kemah, Texas City, are all only a short drive away.

Well in some cases having a larger economy is better. Tell me, is Houston's economy better than NYC/Chicago? No, Houston's economy is growing at a faster pace.

I think a far better match up for Raleigh would be Austin. The two share quite a lot of similarities.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Raleigh. Isn't that near Mayberry and Mount Pilot?
Funny...but no, it's more like near Apex and Siler City (where the real Aunt Bee lived). Don't act like Houston, and any other city for that matter, doesn't have it's share of hicktown names.

Actually Mount Pilot isn't a real place...it's Pilot Mountain; and Mount Airy is near Winston-Salem, not Raleigh.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I think a far better match up for Raleigh would be Austin. The two share quite a lot of similarities.
Of course that would be a better matchup, but we have the matchup that the OP requested. A living decision is not always between two completely equal places.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Of course that would be a better matchup, but we have the matchup that the OP requested. A living decision is not always between two completely equal places.
I know, and I hope the information placed in this thread have helped him/her make a quick decision about which one she can live better off in.

The two are simply worlds apart, lol.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
I would choose Houston but I like big city amenities. Raleigh is a nice area though. I've known people who have lived there and "got bored".

Old 05-22-2010, 12:18 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Never been to Houston but I have been to Raleigh several times visiting my sister and here is my impression.

Raleigh... Great place to live, work, and raise a family but who would want to visit? It has some merrits like Duke university and Chapel Hill nearby, CH has character and is a very pretty town. Ch is uniquely liberal for the Carolinas, so much so that Jessie Helms wanted the town fenced off. That gets old pretty quickly and I find the RDU area very vanilla. I never feel like I'm in the south when I'm there because I don't hear the accents. A lot of people from places like NJ, CT, & Mass have relocated there for the employment base and a lower cost of living. For the most part the Triangle area is clean, safe, and attractive. DT Raleigh seems poised for improvement and adjacent neighborhoods will likely see home appeciation values, but for now it's kinda dead. They are trying though, I do like the Flying Saucer lounge downtown, big microbrewery and fun hangout. Cary an adjacent suburb reminded me of a bedroom community suburb that could very well be found in Connecticut. The area does not strike me as particularly religious, it's there, I just don't think people where it on there sleeve as much. That can be found easily 1-2 counties outside the RDU triangle area.

Weekend getaways are within resonable distance with the Carolina Coast being a 2-3 hour drive and the mountains a 3-4 hour drive. DC is about 5 hours away. The Outer Banks are a bit further than say Wilmington but certainly worth the drive as they are some of the nicest beaches I have ever laid eyes on. As for the the topography of RDU, typical Piedmont, landlocked, moderate rolling hills and dense southern pine forests, and a few man made lakes. Nothing too exciting. I would get really bored living in Raleigh but that's just me. My sister loves it, and who could blame her? Raising 4 kids in a big house in a safe attractive neighborhood and a reasonable cost of living as that would not be as attainable to the average middle class person in Massachusetts. Good schools for the kids and my brother in law has done very well with his career down there (he works in IT). So different strokes, different folks.
I'm assuming CH means Charlotte? Too many abbreviations for us out-of-state posters. Isn't the discussion about Raleigh & Houston anyway?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I'm assuming CH means Charlotte? Too many abbreviations for us out-of-state posters. Isn't the discussion about Raleigh & Houston anyway?
Chapel Hill. It's also apart of the discussion, it's in the metropolitan area for Raleigh. The Research Triangle Plaza, Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:14 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Chapel Hill. It's also apart of the discussion, it's in the metropolitan area for Raleigh. The Research Triangle Plaza, Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.
Thanks, I had no idea what cities the poster was writing about.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM

178 posts, read 509,572 times
Thanks for all the responses. I think my main issue with Raleigh is it’s “staleness”. I am not a fan of suburban sprawl on top of each other with nothing to do. Some of the Raleigh supporters seem to confront this claim, though, noting Raleigh’s growing and improving downtown and Glenwood scene, and the fact that Raleigh really means the Triangle, which includes Durham and Chapel Hill – neither of which are huge entertainment areas, but add some unique college town like options. Some reponses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston is a world city and I guess you're not suited to live in world cities. Raleigh and Austin are hilly, smaller and laid back and I think you should go for it!
Sounds negative the way you say it, but ultimately, yes, that’s right. I honestly just don’t take advantage of the “world-class’ness” that is Houston, short of the restaurant scene. Do I occasionally (a few times a year) enjoy the theatre or ballet or concert? Yes. Do I like some of Houston’s art festivals? Sure.

But I prefer living in less of a mass of millions upon millions upon millions of people. Frankly, I could be happy in a small town of 30k-50k…assuming I could (i) find solid employment in my line of work (highly unlikely), and (ii) have a major city within a few hours commute, max.

So, given the above, towns like Austin, Raleigh, Portland, Boulder really do interest me more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVLLVR View Post
But, if you want to escape hectic metro living but still want a city with some life and variety, then I think Raleigh would be a good fit and will probably surprise you. Maybe take a week vacation and go check out Raleigh. No one else can tell you if a city will be a good fit for you or not, you have to experience it.
Yes, exactly what I’m looking for. Less hectic but still lively enough. That said, I think I’d probably prefer Ashville, but again…employment.

I’ll be in Raleigh in 2 weeks, and have been before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Raleigh... Great place to live, work, and raise a family but who would want to visit? … That gets old pretty quickly and I find the RDU area very vanilla. …but for now it's kinda dead.… Nothing too exciting…. I would get really bored living in Raleigh but that's just me. … So different strokes, different folks.
You’ve highlighted some of my concerns. Words like “vanilla”, “dead”, “nothing too exciting”, “bored”’ you hear this a little more than you’d hope when doing research on-line. Again, as my post indicate, I’m not exactly mister party guy, and I think “boredom” is as much about your social network as where you live, but I do like having the ability to at least access excitement, if necessary.

I guess the good news is, as you said, they are trying, and there is access to some of the most beautiful beaches and gorgeous mountains if Raleigh itself gets boring.

Plus, I can’t for the life of me figure out how Houston is any different in regards to: “Great place to live, work, and raise a family but who would want to visit?” Houston promotes NASA and Galveston, but really, it is very similar in that it’s jut not a tourist destination.

Quote:
Right, my options at the moment are staying in Houston or moving to Raleigh. I’ve read through the Austin vs. Raleigh thread. I’ve been to Austin a ton, and love it. Love town lake, love the music scene, love the weirdness – probably a little too crazy liberal, but it doesn’t bother me.

That said, from what I’ve read and in my few visits to Raleigh, I think I’d prefer Raleigh….IF it didn’t conjure up so much “bored-ness” from some observers. That is to say, if Raleigh had Austin’s 6th street and associated scene, it’d be a no-brainer. Again, I’m not a huge partier and ultimately it likely is a stupid thing to factor in for someone like myself, but can’t help but notice there are some, typically of the younger (under 30’s) crowd, who find Raleigh a little stale. Austin has some negatives – uncontrolled growth and suburban sprawl, suffers from the same unbearable heat as most of Texas, the noted over the top “weirdness” and “liberalism”, but staleness isn’t one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I would choose Houston but I like big city amenities. Raleigh is a nice area though. I've known people who have lived there and "got bored".
Again with the “bored”!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City