Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The summers aren't far enough apart to make a difference

July

Raleigh Hi 90 Lo 69 Avg dewpoint Upper 60's

Houston Hi 93 Lo 75 Avg dewpoint Low-Mid 70's

And considering summer is more stable than winter, that is not that big of a difference
Yes they are because the amount of time one experiences the heat and humidity is also longer in Houston.
I have lived Summers in both cities and this is my experienced opinion.

Also, those higher temps and higher dew points are actually significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 09:07 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
I prefer Phoenix winters, which basically follow this pattern:

December

Most days in 60s, about 3 days in 70s, maybe 4 days in 50s; morning lows 35-50

January

Most days in 60s, about 7 days in 70s, maybe 3 days in 50s; morning lows 35-50

February

Most days 65-75, possibly 2 days in 50s, 2 days in 80s; morning lows 40-55

And best part, no ice or snow or freezing rain
Phoenix's Winter is like Calgary compared to Miami's. The difference between daily highs and lows between Phoenix and Miami may actually be greater than between Raleigh and Houston.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Phoenix's Winter is like Calgary compared to Miami's. The difference between daily highs and lows between Phoenix and Miami may actually be greater than between Raleigh and Houston.
We are more stable, case in point, Miami's normal low in January is around 60, but you are Hardiness Zone 10B, which means your extreme low most years is between 35-39; while Phoenix's normal low in January is 45, but we are Hardiness Zone 10A, which puts our extreme low between 30-34 most years.

So you guys have a much bigger negative deviation than us

Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 AM

470 posts, read 454,226 times
Quote:
We are more stable, case in point, Miami's normal low in January is around 60, but you are Hardiness Zone 10B, which means your extreme low most years is between 35-39; while Phoenix's normal low in January is 45, but we are Hardiness Zone 10A, which puts our extreme low between 30-34 most years.

So you guys have a much bigger negative deviation than us
Actually, Miami is in zone 11 (either A or B).

Old 08-15-2016, 10:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Actually, Miami is in zone 11 (either A or B).
No, Miami International Airport is Zone 10B

Possibly Miami Beach is 11A, no way 11B, Key West is 11A

Old 08-16-2016, 06:56 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I know overall Houston has more options but I heard downtown Raleigh nightlife was popping for a city its size but I'm not sure how it compares to nightlife in Downtown Houston. Also just because a city is larger doesnt mean the nightlife is better. An example would be SF is larger than New Orleans but I think New Orleans nightlife is better. Baltimore is larger than Austin but Austin nightlife is better
So you're pretending not to know the answer or you're admitting that you don't know very much of anything about Houston. Which is it?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:52 PM

470 posts, read 454,226 times
Quote:
No, Miami International Airport is Zone 10B

Possibly Miami Beach is 11A, no way 11B, Key West is 11A
Nope, Miami is 11A, and Keywest is 11B:
Florida Interactive 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

USDA zones are warming up in the South:

http://www.turfmagazine.com/content/...25_1_large.jpg

Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
And Raleigh still wins the battle IMO. I've been to Houston quite a few times and was never a fan...it is way too HOT and humid, way too flat and too much concrete, too sprawly and congested, ugly urban landscape outside the downtown core, did I mention hot? I have to laugh at the folks saying Raleigh is boring...it's not. Obviously not as many options as Houston, but I've never been bored here unless I choose to be. I could go to gigs every night of the week, could try a new restaurant every night of the week, there are Indie theaters and DPAC, hiking/biking trails, Falls Lake activities, state fair, countless bars, not too sure about nightclubs since I don't do those, but they're arund. I know OP is long gone from this thread, but since he said he's not a partier and isn't concerned with the club scene I can't imagine he'd be more bored here than Houston. I'm not just boosting because I live here, I genuinely prefer Raleigh...if it was vs. Austin or DC or Charleston or something, I'd have a harder time choosing lol.
You're right about most points. But Houston is in fact a much bigger city with many more amenities. Houston has pro sports, a huge airport, a better selection of restaurants, just to mention a few...

However, I do find Houston bland and very concrete feeling. Actually, most of the big cities in Texas are just like this. When you ask people in Texas what they do for fun, 99% of the time it involves sports or indoor activities. That's because the parks, scenery, and outdoor activities suck in most of the big Texas cities.

I really miss Raleigh, but when you live in a place like Dallas or Houston, you realize how small Raleigh truly is. There are many things I do here in Dallas/Ft Worth that I would not be able to do easily in Raleigh. Restaurant selection would be the main difference.

I loved the greenery in Raleigh, but I really hate raking leaves, having to clean them off my car, and the pollen they create caused my allergies to go insane.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:13 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I do not know about Dallas but the parks in Houston do not suck.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:28 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
You're right about most points. But Houston is in fact a much bigger city with many more amenities. Houston has pro sports, a huge airport, a better selection of restaurants, just to mention a few...

However, I do find Houston bland and very concrete feeling. Actually, most of the big cities in Texas are just like this. When you ask people in Texas what they do for fun, 99% of the time it involves sports or indoor activities. That's because the parks, scenery, and outdoor activities suck in most of the big Texas cities.

I really miss Raleigh, but when you live in a place like Dallas or Houston, you realize how small Raleigh truly is. There are many things I do here in Dallas/Ft Worth that I would not be able to do easily in Raleigh. Restaurant selection would be the main difference.

I loved the greenery in Raleigh, but I really hate raking leaves, having to clean them off my car, and the pollen they create caused my allergies to go insane.
When you live in a city like NYC you realize how small Houston and Dallas are, it's all relative. Just curious, what things can you do easily in DFW that you can't do in Raleigh? I get the pro sports or higher scale shopping angle but the Triangle as a whole is quite the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City