Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times

Advertisements

If you aren't a fan of the suburbs, then there are plenty of options in both Raleigh and Houston where you can avoid them. As far as suburban sprawl, Houston has as much as any other city in the U.S. and choosing Houston will not ensure that you can completely avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
If you aren't a fan of the suburbs, then there are plenty of options in both Raleigh and Houston where you can avoid them. As far as suburban sprawl, Houston has as much as any other city in the U.S. and choosing Houston will not ensure that you can completely avoid it.
Houston has crazy sprawl, but you easily can avoid having to deal with the negatives of it by living within the loop or at least in the surrounding areas of it. Everything you need can be found within the loop.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 949 times
IMO
Raleigh is not only > than H-town.... it is by FAR better! I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that Houston does or does not have things to offer because yes they do... and because it is such a HUGE metro, it has all the things that come with it (diversity, etc...) But then comes all the negative things which R does not have.
But to me it isn't about that. It is about a feel you get when you are out and about doing things. It's the people that fill the city. Simply put, Houston is F'ing ghetto!!!
Moving out of Houston next month to Raleigh and cannot wait! I mean just drive around and look at the town... in disrepair, pockets of nice things right next to ghetto hoods. The people drive like complete asses! (and it is reflective of their personalities) Houston does have a lot of good things to offer, but there is no comparison when compared to a smaller town, with great growth also, and nicer people (less ghetto).
To me it is just that feeling you get when you go and send time in the local scene (downtown or burbs).
I cannot Wait!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
This is Sophie's Choice, but I would reluctantly have to choose Houston, due to warmer winters with palm trees and no snow (99 out of 100 anyway). Also, short drive to coastal suburbs like Kemah and Galveston for summertime.

Raleigh winters can be COLD

Old 08-14-2016, 08:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is Sophie's Choice, but I would reluctantly have to choose Houston, due to warmer winters with palm trees and no snow (99 out of 100 anyway). Also, short drive to coastal suburbs like Kemah and Galveston for summertime.

Raleigh winters can be COLD
Raleigh, cold winters? I guess if you're from Phoenix you might think so but generally, winters aren't very cold there.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:50 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,395 times
How does the nightlife compare

Old 08-14-2016, 09:07 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
How does the nightlife compare
Guess

Old 08-14-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Guess
I know overall Houston has more options but I heard downtown Raleigh nightlife was popping for a city its size but I'm not sure how it compares to nightlife in Downtown Houston. Also just because a city is larger doesnt mean the nightlife is better. An example would be SF is larger than New Orleans but I think New Orleans nightlife is better. Baltimore is larger than Austin but Austin nightlife is better

Old 08-14-2016, 09:43 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Raleigh, cold winters? I guess if you're from Phoenix you might think so but generally, winters aren't very cold there.
If a place can't grow palm trees and sees snow every year, it is cold in the winter.

There are days that the HIGH temp in Raleigh only hits 32, and they see lows in the 10's, I'm sorry, but that's f-ing cold.

In Phoenix, our coldest high temp most years is in the low to mid 50's, and our coldest low of the year is usually in the low to mid 30's. So our coldest of the year, which feels cold when it happens, is warmer than Raleigh's January normals

Old 08-14-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If a place can't grow palm trees and sees snow every year, it is cold in the winter.

There are days that the HIGH temp in Raleigh only hits 32, and they see lows in the 10's, I'm sorry, but that's f-ing cold.

In Phoenix, our coldest high temp most years is in the low to mid 50's, and our coldest low of the year is usually in the low to mid 30's. So our coldest of the year, which feels cold when it happens, is warmer than Raleigh's January normals
What do you consider hot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City