Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 11:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Don't worry.. he is a fan of mine. He attempts to insult me in every thread... I don't mind really.. It shows that NYC got a lot of haters because NYC is the best city.

Guess again.

I used to believe that perhaps one day that you would educate yourself enough to outgrow your narrow-minded, warped views of the rest of the world west of the Hudson. I'm beginning to realize it's probably pretty futile, though.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:46 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
Brinkofsunshine, I disagree with you. I've been to this city quite a few times, and it's so boring at times, especially on weekends. As for broadway, it can be had in any major cities. I think it zoo sucks and nothing like Tampa and San Diego zoos. The restaurants scene is not as good as SF and Chicago. Butte, Montana has better food than New York since it's more rich and tasting. Believe me, I done alot of the things you recommended, but they're either so so or no good. Are you honestly still overly impressed with this city offering after a long exposure to this city's amenities? If so, I'm impressed because I would go nuts. It's not me. It's NEW YORK with garbage lying all over everyday, literally.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:48 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
There's a lot of things to do on any day of the week in the city- even Sundays. You could see a Broadway matinee. Go to any of the major flagship department stores. Or find a festival or market. Explore different neighborhoods. Go to a restaurant. Go to any park. Or zoo. Or museum. Etc. If you're finding NYC to be dull and boring... I'm afraid the fault lies in you, not the city.

That being said, NYC doesn't have everything and it's not for everyone. There's a whole big Earth and billions of people choose not to live in NYC. But to deny that it's one of the most powerful, influential, vibrant, exciting cities in the world is ridiculous.
Bingo!
People, a city can't be "boring" but the people you hang with can be.

YOU make the party and fun time NOT a location. Furthermore why are some of you guys feeding into this non-sense. Rankings and International statuses are always there for their sources or whatever. Not that that'll change THEIR views, BUT it's opinions/views from people who matter. (No offense, don't care if you're offended either)

And lastly LMFAO at someone saying L.A being the Fashion Capital soon. That explains why Alexander Wang left San Francisco to come to NYC to start his line. Ohhh I get it now. . . Try again.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 PM

151 posts, read 300,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Bingo!
People, a city can't be "boring" but the people you hang with can be.

YOU make the party and fun time NOT a location. Furthermore why are some of you guys feeding into this non-sense. Rankings and International statuses are always there for their sources or whatever. Not that that'll change THEIR views, BUT it's opinions/views from people who matter. (No offense, don't care if you're offended either)

And lastly LMFAO at someone saying L.A being the Fashion Capital soon. That explains why Alexander Wang left San Francisco to come to NYC to start his line. Ohhh I get it now. . . Try again.
Alexander Wang? Do they sell that at Target?

Duff is all about Applebees and Target. Alexander Wang or Alexander McQueen? Ugly and bland. It's all about Target. No downtown is complete without Applebees and Target! LOL!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
I can't even think of this city anymore because it makes me want to puke. No, San Jose, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New Orleans, Denver, Austin and Las Vegas are all more fun and better than New York. Bloggers, I have a final good bye question since this is my last post. Would you rather be in New York City or Hawaii's Kauai Island? I would rest my case! Troll on, this is my final out!

Old 12-18-2010, 11:58 PM

... how do people in Downtown Manhattan eat without an Applebees!?

Chef Thomas Keller? Who? Le Bernadin? Daniel? Nobu'whata? Why are New Yorkers so bland? Come on down to San Jose where we have great taste. At least we have Applebees, Target and a cool McDonalds in our Walmart where you can people watch. And don't forget to try our delicious funnel cakes at the Santana Row food court!

Doesn't get any better than that!

Last edited by Yankee.; 12-19-2010 at 12:06 AM..

Old 12-19-2010, 12:02 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
Alexander Wang? Do they sell that at Target?

Duff is all about Applebees and Target. Alexander Wang or Alexander McQueen? Ugly and bland. It's all about Target. No downtown is complete without Applebees and Target! LOL!
ROTF! If Alexander McQueen is Ugly and Bland to him then I know he's the last person who should mention anything about fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
I can't even think of this city anymore because it makes me want to puke. No, San Jose, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New Orleans, Denver, Austin and Las Vegas are all more fun and better than New York. Bloggers, I have a final good bye question since this is my last post. Would you rather be in New York City or Hawaii's Kauai Island? I would rest my case! Troll on, this is my final out!
Go ask someone from LONDON or PARIS where's Denver or better yet Louisiana, lmfaooo Goodbye and Visit NYC again =) . . .

Old 12-19-2010, 12:13 AM

848 posts, read 2,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
Quality of life to whom?

Not to sound elitist, but there is a reason why New York's property prices are through the roof. The Law of Supply & Demand. The free market says New York is a far more desireable city than Houston. "Quality of Life" is NOT something that can be measured but is of opinion (people who compile those lists are all lowly paid idiot journalists anyway, so what they think is irrelevant)

And you've clearly never been to New York City if you think it has no answer for dumps like Montrose. Montrose is the poor person's Williamsburg. The "hipsters" in Montrose are bootleg Brooklynites. The stores are awful. Buffalo Exchange? American Apparel? Really?

Houston, a top 5 food city? You have got to be kidding me.
New York City is really a dump for ordinary people who have been fleeing. And they have been starting to flee (and this is from your media):
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/ny...york.html?_r=1

Four tales of city dwellers who fled New York

wgrz.com | Buffalo, NY | Report: New York Losing Population to Other States

New York aside from finance and certain cultural tenets...is really for the better off tourists. Middle class aspirations...are elsewhere.

But since you vain NY Super Boosters have been in denial or hiding under rocks, it's not up to me to reveal how Houston and Texas have been gaining quite impressively in population.

"Quality of life" is not something that can be measured? Really? Groceries, rent, other cost of living..., red tape, endless nocturnal noises, dirty immediate environment (the Hudson River is one large conveniently shaped toilet seat compared to Houston's overall much greener environs).

There is more to the Montrose than "American Apparel" and "Buffalo Exchange." This goes to show how certain East Coast Snobs are too freaking blind and IGNORANT to notice the plethora of INDEPENDENT boutiques that exist in the Montrose, not that the Montrose is the only area for eccentric and eclectic shopping in the greater Houston area. Nothing more to say on this obviously. We can have converted commercial cottages or Victorian mini-mansions alongside conventional business buildings in some of Houston's commercial areas. Can't really say that about New York City's commercial constructs.

In the modern world, Houston IS one of the best US restaurant cities:

We got the dish from food columnist John Mariani - 2010-Feb-24 - CultureMap Houston

Best cities for restaurants,America's Best Restaurant Cities | News Blog

Can't believe Houston could be a top five US restaurant city, eh? Man, how provincial and behind the times many "Yankees" are...

Does it make you NY Super Boosters and other assorted "Yankees" mad that other cities across the world are starting to look at other US cities RATHER THAN New York to start noteworthy businesses and franchising? Such as Modena, Italy (city of Ferrari) which used Houston to open its first wave of Minuti Coffee, as an example?

NY isn't the center of everyone's universe. Accept it.

Last edited by worldlyman; 12-19-2010 at 12:22 AM..

Old 12-19-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
ROTF! If Alexander McQueen is Ugly and Bland to him then I know he's the last person who should mention anything about fashion.

Go ask someone from LONDON or PARIS where's Denver or Seattle lmfaooo Goodbye and Visit NYC again =) . . .

London and Paris are also ugly and bland.

In San Jose we have Palo Alto, cool dive bars in Los Gatos, have a Walmart, Applebees, Target in our Downtown, cool malls (Old Navy, Gap, Ross, Marshalls) with bitchin' foodcourts, Santana Row puts Champs-Élysées to shame. Oh and our cool condo buildings which are much better than those ugly bland NYC skyscrapers, or those ugly bland 19th century Ecole des Beaux-Arts Parisian buildings. Have you seen our new city hall? It puts that ugly bland Buckingham Palace or Théâtre National de l'Opéra de Paris to shame.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:31 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
New York City is really a dump for ordinary people who have been fleeing. And they have been starting to flee (and this is from your media):
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/ny...york.html?_r=1

Four tales of city dwellers who fled New York

wgrz.com | Buffalo, NY | Report: New York Losing Population to Other States

New York aside from finance and certain cultural tenets...is really for the better off tourists. Middle class aspirations...are elsewhere.

But since you vain NY Super Boosters have been in denial or hiding under rocks, it's not up to me to reveal how Houston and Texas have been gaining quite impressively in population.

"Quality of life" is not something that can be measured? Really? Groceries, rent, other cost of living..., red tape, endless nocturnal noises, dirty immediate environment (the Hudson River is one large conveniently shaped toilet seat compared to Houston's overall much greener environs).

There is more to the Montrose than "American Apparel" and "Buffalo Exchange." This goes to show how certain East Coast Snobs are too freaking blind and IGNORANT to notice the plethora of INDEPENDENT boutiques that exist in the Montrose, not that the Montrose is the only area for eccentric and eclectic shopping in the greater Houston area. Nothing more to say on this obviously. We can have converted commercial cottages or Victorian mini-mansions alongside conventional business buildings in some of Houston's commercial areas. Can't really say that about New York City's commercial constructs.

In the modern world, Houston IS one of the best US restaurant cities:

We got the dish from food columnist John Mariani - 2010-Feb-24 - CultureMap Houston

Best cities for restaurants,America's Best Restaurant Cities | News Blog

Can't believe Houston is a top US restaurant city, eh? Man, how provincial and behind the times many "Yankees" are...

Does it make you NY Super Boosters and other assorted "Yankees" mad that other cities across the world are starting to look at other US cities RATHER THAN New York to start noteworthy businesses and franchising? Such as Modena, Italy (city of Ferrari) which used Houston to open its first wave of Minuti Coffee, as an example?

NY isn't the center of everyone's universe. Accept it.
BRAVO!!!!

I happen to really love New York, but the amount of absolutely raw arrogance being spewed here by some is way beyond nauseating, and a HUGE turn-off.

The boosting of a place to inflate certain posters sense of self-worth is extremely shallow, and quite sad in my opinion. Thankfully, most New Yorkers that I count as friends never act so base and trashy - or they wouldn't be counted as friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City