Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Barnes and Noble has a big one at Union Square.
There are some great independent book stores too which I prefer.
Yep, me too, like the Strand. Isn't it four floors? I've also seen them, or maybe it was St. Mark's, set up just outside Central Park.

What's even better is that you have book vendors on the streets here, even in not-so-great neighborhoods, which I think is awesome. This is definitely a reading city!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:39 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotextist View Post
Yep, me too, like the Strand. Isn't it four floors? I've also seen them, or maybe it was St. Mark's, set up just outside Central Park.

What's even better is that you have book vendors on the streets here, even in not-so-great neighborhoods, which I think is awesome. This is definitely a reading city!
I am going back 20 years so I don't know if they are still there but there were a couple of book stands on 5th Ave just north of 59th by the park.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 AM

546 posts, read 1,176,583 times
My biggest complaint is the lack of affordable housing that is of acceptable quality. There are many underdeveloped sites that are non-historical that they could build high rises to offer cheaper rent. They have some sites in Queens and Brooklyn, but I don't think they'd want to have very tall highrises there.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,608 times
I always thought New York had everything, but on a visit to Austin, I realized I had finally found something New York doesn't have: outdoor bars with live music and free chips and salsa.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:51 PM

151 posts, read 300,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I always thought New York had everything, but on a visit to Austin, I realized I had finally found something New York doesn't have: outdoor bars with live music and free chips and salsa.
NYC has outdoor bars with live music.

Ever been to the East or West Village?

Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 PM

151 posts, read 300,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X72 View Post
I went to NYC and I liked it very much. I know one thing though that I found NYC was sorely lacking in which I found not so good if I plan to move there one day, I hope. I doesn't have any good large bookstores. I haven't seen anything like a 4-floor Borders or Barnes and Noble, and there is one in Chicago near the Watertower. I wish there was one like that in New York. I just went to Manhattan though, maybe there is one but I missed it.
NYC has the largest bookstore in the world.

According to Guinness Book of World Records, Barnes and Noble on 5th and 14th in Manhattan is the largest bookstore in the world based on floorspace.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:26 PM

179 posts, read 402,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
There is no connection to nature in New York City. I remember visiting New Mexico as an adult and wishing that I had the opportunity to go camping and riding a horse when younger like many kids growing up there have. I mean really camping in the wilderness, not going to a "camp." I think that closeness to the land gives a balance to life that is often missing in NYC. I love New York but the emphasis it places on acquiring all things man-made can be unhealthy. The ability to drive out of the city and really be in open country is something we cannot do here.
I mean, you could just drive out to Suffolk County which is about an hour and a half from Manhattan. (Wildwood State Park)
And New Jersey as well...

Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
NYC has outdoor bars with live music.
But where's the free chips and salsa?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I suppose if one took a widened view many things are possible as being unlikely to be in NYC. Like

Glaciers
Fjords
Canyons
Volcanoes (dormant, extinct, or active)
Pronghorn Antelope in the wild
Orange groves
Hutterites
Native speakers of Apache
Adobe houses
Isn't the Hudson technically a fjord?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:46 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,404,473 times
They don't have retractable roof stadiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City