Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I think this thread has use if it lists things like Thomas R. has listed. Things that, for a fact, do not exist in NYC. They're things that most would think of as unusual, rare, weird, etc. and it's interesting to see where those things do exist. For example, a Norwegian liturgy. Random, right? But it's interesting to see that it exists in a couple of places in this country.

Things that are purely subjective, such as "NYC has no natural beauty" or "NYC has no culture" are entirely subjective, and I don't blame New Yorkers for trying to "refudiate" them.
I agree. But NYC has so many things that all people can really say are random things like you mentioned. Then people try to say that it doesn't matter because its so random. So then that leaves me to ask, what is the point of this thread.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
Does NYC have a drive-in?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Does NYC have a drive-in?
Very interesting question? There shrinking in numbers quite rapidly here in the West that is for sure. That would actually be very COOL to see a movie at a drive in NYC..Don't think it exists though. NYC locals help us out.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
NYC needs a Waffle House.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:41 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I think this thread has use if it lists things like Thomas R. has listed. Things that, for a fact, do not exist in NYC. They're things that most would think of as unusual, rare, weird, etc. and it's interesting to see where those things do exist. For example, a Norwegian liturgy. Random, right? But it's interesting to see that it exists in a couple of places in this country.

Things that are purely subjective, such as "NYC has no natural beauty" or "NYC has no culture" are entirely subjective, and I don't blame New Yorkers for trying to "refudiate" them.
A small problem is things that are not even that random, but real or relevant to people, are rather rebuked.

For example the mountains example. Someone instantly said something like "I don't want mountains near cities." Well I would say that's cool for you, but also irrelevant to the example. Because it sounds like it is a legitimate example of what NYC lacks regardless of your feelings about it. Also I think a fair amount of people actually do like mountains and even like mountains near a city. It seems impertinent to say "your personal taste is wrong" or see such taste as an affront on NYC. Although I'd concede the person put it in a way that maybe sounded like one.

And I myself could think of fairly non-random things that I'm guessing NYC is not likely to have. I like being able to see the night sky and have quiet sometimes. As big and bright as NYC is I really doubt you can go out at night to find things completely still then look up at a full starscape. I'm sure a New Yorker will now say "Oh yes we can" but I think it's really unlikely you can as much as I can. (Maybe there's somewhere in Westchester or Long Island where a person could, but I'm thinking the boroughs) Or maybe even as much as someone in say Juneau can.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:49 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
There are no drive-ins in the city but 4 in the area around it. According to this website NY is one of the "top 5" drive-in states in the country now. There are 2 in Orange County and 2 in Dutchess County.

New York Drive-ins Drivein Movie Theatres and Drive-in Movies in New York State

Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
My husband told when he was a kid living in Queens in the 50s and 60s there used to be drive ins. They probably tore them down and put up shopping Malls.

My father-in-law told when he was a kid in the 20s and 30s, there were farms on Queens Blvd.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
To eek:

You got way too defensive for no reason and was in denial about admitting I made some good points.

And I am from New York City. I like things about NYC, but I want to enjoy NYC and all it has to offer(If i live there again) without becoming arrogant, snobby, narrow minded, and other negative things like you...

You continued to make my point that some people dont see how there is a world outside NYC, which is ironic in some ways.

I feel sorry for people like you.

I like NYC but I like plenty of other places too. I am able to see the positives for most places that exist. And many New Yorkers/people who visit New York are like that. I hope(and think) you are the very small minority of people that arent like that

Last edited by ; 07-29-2010 at 07:38 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post

We don't want to be the south. We have plenty of amazing diners and mom and pop type breakfast restaurants that we love. We don't need another chain.

Last edited by TANaples; 07-29-2010 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Really now, why does anyplace need a Waffle House?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City