Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
We don't want to be the south. We have plenty of amazing diners and mom and pop type breakfast restaurants that we love. We don't need another chain.
And now you're showing YOUR anti-Southern bias.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
when I posted IRS statistics saying more people moved to NJ than NC or Ga., you decided you would add up every single state in the South they moved to to prove your bias.
Wrong again. I used the very study YOU provided a link to. I didn't HAVE to fudge the numbers the way you do - they were right there for all to see.

Your new math still isn't working. What part of "60% of people leaving the State go south" can you not wrap your head around?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
I'd like it if NYC had a Waffle House, it's not just a Southern thing btw.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
Default After Florida,

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Wrong again. I used the very study YOU provided a link to. I didn't HAVE to fudge the numbers the way you do - they were right there for all to see.

Your new math still isn't working. What part of "60% of people leaving the State go south" can you not wrap your head around?
the MOST people left for New Jersey. New Jersey is NOT the South. Odds are they didn't quit their high paying NYC jobs either to do that.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:26 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Quote:
Again, again. Too many people think NYC is JUST the island of Manhattan.
I know, makes one look pretty laughable in situations like this. "Lame tree cover" yet there's heavily forested areas in NYC (not just parks either). No Hills? Guess again. The topography is generally the same from NYC down to Mexico (Atlantic Coastal Plain), everyone knows there's no mountains. Not all water is brown, most is actually blue.

Everyone knows I'm no boaster, I just keep it real. Some posters honestly don't have a clue about NYC.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
the MOST people left for New Jersey. New Jersey is NOT the South. Odds are they didn't quit their high paying NYC jobs either to do that.
Conversing with you is like talking to a toaster.

Again, the study said "60 percent of people leaving go South, with Florida being the largest percentage."

Why are you in such total denial here? Twist things all you want to, the study speaks for itself.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:33 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
ALL of these pictures were taken within NYC city limits.

jag9889 Columbia University's "C ROCK", Harlem River, Spuyten Duyvil, Bronx NYC on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/2080314101/ - broken link)

Bedrock Geology of New York City: More than 600 m.y. of geologic history

REVIEW: Rockaway Beach (Queens) - Plans for Pups (PfP) (New York, NY) - Meetup.com

Photograph © philipmatarese Fort Tryon Park Garden | GardenVisit.com, the garden landscape guide

Boat Ride through Central Park - Photos | Your Complete Guide To Central Park

Scenes from the Big Onion (http://rob.hilluva.com/newyork/index.html - broken link)

Scenes from the Big Onion (http://rob.hilluva.com/newyork/index.html - broken link)

See, this is what I was waiting for. Touche.

All you really see in these forums about NYC are the 'Cool Skyline man!'... and 'Will anything beat NYC ever?'. How many NYC skyline pictures, brookyln bridges and statue of liberties can you see?

This is the stuff I'm talkin' about! Thanks

Old 07-29-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Large parts of Western and Southern Minnesota has:

No mountains
limited tree cover
NO ocean views whatsoever, generic or otherwise

Conclusion: There is no natural beauty in Southern Minnesota????

That would be a extremely foolish thing to claim.

So what does it sound like when someone claims a city with over 50,000+ acres of city and Federal parkland (does not include state lands) has NO NATURAL BEAUTY?
Weird. Where did I ever claim that MN has some awesome beauty. In fact, this has nothing to do with Minny. It's not even a MN vs NYC thread, so weird of you. Really weird if you ask me. I posted pictures of my city because I was saying "Here, these are pics of the beauty in my town, show me yours if you got it."

This isn't about MN it's about NYC. It's not a peeing match. Look at the title fo the thread.

And neat little pictues of all the 'beauty' 50 miles from NYC.

Last edited by Kid Cann; 07-29-2010 at 10:43 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
how far does a person have to travel in tokyo to get to mt fuji? or a shinto temple in the mountains? without using a bullet train?? 2 to 2 1/2 hours. hmmmm. sound familiar?? also, nyc having a "generic" ocean view is subjective. thats your opinion but that doesn't make it fact.

what kind of ocean view is a state like wyoming getting?? right.

there are some states with no ocean view at all. so some areas don't have cannons and plateaus and ****. and..?? doesn't mean that these areas don't have other things that make them beautiful, "naturally."

last thing; contrary to popular belief, we have PLENTY of trees in ny. just because ppl aren't taking pictures of trees, hawks, racoons and rocks doesn't mean that we don't have these things. why would a tourist come to the largest city in the country to take pictures of wildlife and post them on flickr for your entertainment?

flip that, do you search Minneapolis on google for skyscrapers, graffiti and pictures of pizza? probably not but i bet you still have them.
That's neat and all, and if you read my previous posts, maybe you wouldnt come off as sounding so salty. Why do you get all defensive? If all that stuff exsists in NYC, prove it baby. I didn't have any problem giving examples of what my city has in terms of Natural beauty. Do you people from NYC not know how your city is portrayed in media? If you're not from NYC or have never been, don't you realize that i have no clue about what NYC has to offer? So show it! I've seen Midtown pictures, I've seen the skyline shots and the urban neighborhoods. Show off that natural beauty then.

And it's not a VERSUS thread, you weirdos keep getting all insecure and start attacking my city. Weird insecurity issues among east coasters or something. "Oh shoot, people are starting to think that NYC isn't the best, let's attack them!"

And what's the deal with the time distance? The fact of the matter is, is that you can SEE it from Tokyo. Something cool to see. A focal point. Just like SLC, LA and Hong Kong and Sau Paulo, nice mountainous backdrops....Doesn't matter if it takes 5 seconds or 5 hours to get to them, the fact is that you can see it.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Again, again. Too many people think NYC is JUST the island of Manhattan.
It's kind of hard not too. The media salivates over it. If one had never lived in NYC, visited or lived near there, of course all you would know is Manhattan.

LA isn't just 'Hollywood'
CHI isn't just 'Navy Pier'
PHILLY isn't just 'Penn Statue and Liberty Bell'
MIAMI isn't just 'South Beach'
SAN FRAN isn't just 'Golden Gate'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City