Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 11:24 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times

Advertisements

50 miles from a city like NY is not that far. People commute anywhere from 20-100 miles. One of my guys moved out of the city to Orange County and commutes 80 miles give or take by train. Plus I did post some pictures of nature within NYC city limits that would probably surprise people that there are lakes and streams let alone hiking trails and beaches that are not polluted and dirty contrary to what people like to believe. Maybe it is not Seattle or Honolulu but I would be willing to bet that NYC by far has the most diverse landscape of any major city east of the Mississippi River. When a city is made up of islands, rivers, has lakes, cliffs, marshlands, hills, and the ocean within city limits you know there is nature. There are even coyotes in the city.

Again I will show pictures within city limits.

Up on a hill, you can see the good view these people get in that opening there.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 AM

244 posts, read 567,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Very interesting question? There shrinking in numbers quite rapidly here in the West that is for sure. That would actually be very COOL to see a movie at a drive in NYC..Don't think it exists though. NYC locals help us out.
This is the closest NYC has to a drive in, lol.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:47 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
There are TONS of outdoor movies that are shown around the city. Most seem to be in Bryant park in Manhattan, and different parks near downtown Brooklyn. I mean, how many cities can say they do that regularly?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:51 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
A small problem is things that are not even that random, but real or relevant to people, are rather rebuked.

For example the mountains example. Someone instantly said something like "I don't want mountains near cities." Well I would say that's cool for you, but also irrelevant to the example. Because it sounds like it is a legitimate example of what NYC lacks regardless of your feelings about it. Also I think a fair amount of people actually do like mountains and even like mountains near a city. It seems impertinent to say "your personal taste is wrong" or see such taste as an affront on NYC. Although I'd concede the person put it in a way that maybe sounded like one.

And I myself could think of fairly non-random things that I'm guessing NYC is not likely to have. I like being able to see the night sky and have quiet sometimes. As big and bright as NYC is I really doubt you can go out at night to find things completely still then look up at a full starscape. I'm sure a New Yorker will now say "Oh yes we can" but I think it's really unlikely you can as much as I can. (Maybe there's somewhere in Westchester or Long Island where a person could, but I'm thinking the boroughs) Or maybe even as much as someone in say Juneau can.
I'm pretty sure that was aimed at me. I know NYC doesn't have mountains and that people can legitimately not like that. He said it has no natural beauty though, and that was his an example of what he considered natural beauty. Unlike mountains natural beauty is subjective, he thinks the water is brown and ugly, I think it's pretty, he thinks mountains are nice, I don't, I was just trying to show how subjective natural beauty is. If someone just said NYC had no mountains I never woulda said anything in the first place. Of course someone will get uppity if you call something they think is pretty, ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
It's kind of hard not too. The media salivates over it. If one had never lived in NYC, visited or lived near there, of course all you would know is Manhattan.

LA isn't just 'Hollywood'
CHI isn't just 'Navy Pier'
PHILLY isn't just 'Penn Statue and Liberty Bell'
MIAMI isn't just 'South Beach'
SAN FRAN isn't just 'Golden Gate'
That's a pretty lame excuse. How does someone from LA feel when people judge the whole city based on what they think Hollywood is like. Ignorance of some place is no reason to judge it, actually it makes you incredibly unqualified to judge it.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:54 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
There are TONS of outdoor movies that are shown around the city. Most seem to be in Bryant park in Manhattan, and different parks near downtown Brooklyn. I mean, how many cities can say they do that regularly?
Well, Atlanta certainly can.

Screen on the Green in Atlanta - Atlanta Screen on the Green - Free Outdoor Summer Movie Festival

http://www.flickson5th.gatech.edu/ (broken link)

Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 AM

^^But nothing is as beautiful as sitting under the Brooklyn bridge watching a movie

Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 PM

Next closest thing to a drive-in:

Brooklyn Bridge Park Movies With A View 11th Year! (http://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/go/programs-/-events/movies-with-a-view - broken link)

Bryant Park | Calendar

Free Summer Movies : Events Calendar : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Old 07-29-2010, 12:20 PM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
Quote:
I believe there are some outside the city too in Long Branch NJ. How is that for choices you want in the middle of the freaking city, under a bridge or at the beach? They should do one on a rooftop in Manhattan. Cha ching. A Manhattan rooftop movie theater first one in the world. Then again it would just be a higher up version of the Bryant Park movies.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 07-29-2010 at 12:32 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I believe there are some outside the city too in Long Branch NJ. How is that for choices you want in the middle of the freaking city, under a bridge or at the beach? They should do one on a rooftop in Manhattan. Cha ching. A Manhattan rooftop movie theater first one in the world. Then again it would just be a higher up version of the Bryant Park movies.

I know they do them in Eissenhower park in East Meadow too.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
^^But nothing is as beautiful as sitting under the Brooklyn bridge watching a movie
In your opinion. You said "I mean how many cities can say they do that regularly?" I provided proof that we do it too. Of course you feel the need to downplay our version, now claiming nothing is as beautiful as sitting under the Brooklyn Bridge.

I would MUCH rather sit in the beautiful meadow at Piedmont Park, with the Midtown skyline right in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City