Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 08:31 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
In-n-Out tastes like a hamburger you could make at home, why leave the house? Nothing special about the burger, except you can watch someone touch your fresh meat, and mold it into a patty. Oops, that didn't sound right.
you're missing the point.

no one's saying in-n-out serves the best burger on the planet. but those of us who do like their food feel that it's very fresh and tasty fast food. in other words, it's very good for what it is, and is the best of a burger niche (fast food) that is usually defined by mediocrity and a lack of freshness or detail to attention.

most, if not all, fast food burger chains use frozen (rather than fresh) meat, generic buns, wimpy produce, etc. with very few exceptions, the food is not prepared to order and can sit under a heat lamp for long stretches of time.

by comparison, everything at in-n-out is made to order. the meat is not frozen, the buns are supplied by in-n-out's own contracted bakery, the potatoes are sliced just prior to being fried, and the lettuce/tomatoes/onions are crisp and fresh. as a bonus, each and every location is spotlessly maintained and has cheerful service, yet offers its product at very reasonable prices. it's literally the only fast food chain that got praised by eric schlosser in the great muckraking book "fast food nation", and for good reason.

obviously, the burgers at in-n-out are not on par with, say, a high-end $25 burger made with prime aged steak trimmings. for that matter, most reputable steakhouses will (or should) produce a better burger. even a competent home chef who buys fresh, quality ingredients might be able to do better.

but when talking about the merits of in-n-out, you have to do an apples-to-apples comparison and judge it against other fast food chains: mcdonalds, burger king, wendy's, white castle, sonic, jack in the box, carl's jr, fatburger, etc. compared with these places, in-n-out is superior - at least to its many fans like myself.

btw, i didn't mean to derail this thread, since it's not about fast food joints. if you or anyone else wants to debate the merits of in-n-out, feel free to send me a DM. otherwise, can we agree to get this thread back on track?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
White Manna has the best mini burgers in the world.
It's only in NJ and originated (and is now a historic landmark) in Jersey City. Hackensack's white manna is better though (hometown)-- White Castle is like diarrhea in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhLeH46e0is

Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
The main point I tried to make with White Castle was that a lot of chains are regional. I'm not even a burger person, I took a break from White Castle then just recently got 3 free cheeseburgers when I purchased a drink, they tasted so good (way better than the last one I had before), I saw them make them too. Frozen tastes like the fresh ones got put in the freezer then reheated, not as soft and tasteful imo.

I hate that certain restaurants are regional, I like In N Out. And when I move I'll probably miss White Castle. I miss CiCi's & Sonic and I only had those on a vacation. The mini Tower Isle beef patties, never seen those anywhere else. I love those, just ate 3.

Lol @ everyone bashing White Castle.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:52 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The main point I tried to make with White Castle was that a lot of chains are regional. I'm not even a burger person, I took a break from White Castle then just recently got 3 free cheeseburgers when I purchased a drink, they tasted so good (way better than the last one I had before), I saw them make them too. Frozen tastes like the fresh ones got put in the freezer then reheated, not as soft and tasteful imo.

I hate that certain restaurants are regional, I like In N Out. And when I move I'll probably miss White Castle. I miss CiCi's & Sonic and I only had those on vacation 2 years ago.
I honestly had no clue you mentioned White Castle- It was just a coincidence because I saw the burger talk and decided to show some hometown lovin. White Castle is still ok to me though. I have microwavable white castle burgers in my freezer as we speak.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Ugh, no way. It's WAY different. I have bought the frozen box in Florida, and the frozen ones CANNOT compare to the real ones made fresh. I grew up in NY going there since they opened in NYC. They can't compare.
Lol, you missed my point that frozen little beef patties aren't all that great whether I bake them at home from the grocery store or whether you go to White Castle just like Harold & Kumar .

Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 PM

182 posts, read 718,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
There is no connection to nature in New York City. I remember visiting New Mexico as an adult and wishing that I had the opportunity to go camping and riding a horse when younger like many kids growing up there have. I mean really camping in the wilderness, not going to a "camp." I think that closeness to the land gives a balance to life that is often missing in NYC. I love New York but the emphasis it places on acquiring all things man-made can be unhealthy. The ability to drive out of the city and really be in open country is something we cannot do here.
A 4 hour drive you can go to upstate new york and vermont and it is the boonies out there? Hell I drive 4 hours too to get to the boonies (lake tahoe) I live in SF.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Right. Just like how you can't get White Castles outside LA, Chicago, NY metros. No burger chain out east is as good as In n' Out.
LOL - And now we have delusion combined with fantasy!

Not only do you continue to insist that White Castle exists in L.A., but now you have decided that all of the people from Des Moines to St. Louis to Minneapolis to Nashville to Cleveland that patronize them simply don't exist.

You are beyond shameless when it comes to being truthful, let alone accepting responsibility for being wrong. I guess we should all assume that credibility simply has no place in your alternate, bizarro world?

As far as In-n-out goes, I doubt you had ever even heard of them before seeing them mentioned on this site.

This post makes your claim that soul food isn't Southern seem almost lucid.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Why are people still arguing about White Castle?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:33 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Why are people still arguing about White Castle?
Lol right.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
^Sorry guys.

I'm the guilty one, but TANaples/Rachael84 started it with a pack of lies, and continues to pile them on. It needs to be challenged, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City