Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
the rats the size of cats is straight bull"*(t. Its an old joke but unless your in the amazon somewhere u wont see rats the size of cats
ever heard of a "Nutria" ?

Coypu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

these bastards are all over the place.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 PM

245 posts, read 712,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
Yes, but LA's shopping, dining and culture are not on NYC's level.

Houston also has shopping, dining and culture. But they are not up to par with what you can find in New York or Paris, for instance.
I understand that and that's what I meant when I said LA doesn't have these things to the extent NY has, but the truth is LA does have it and we are not deficient by any means with shopping, dining, and culture. We have plenty to do and in the end of the day and we don't scratch our heads saying we have no Michelin star restaurants or high end shopping. Same way as I mentioned that NY has surfing and beachlife, but no way can those compare to SoCal's. Are New Yorkers deprived of beaches? I think not. I just wanted to demonstrate that LA does have all these and they're not just some mama and papa's store... we have world class places like Rodeo Drive for example. Culturally we do have an official Chinatown, a even bigger unofficial chinatown called Monterey Park/Alhambra, Little Armenia, Thaitown, Little Tokyo, Koreatown and so on. These cultural districts are no joke and are pretty massive so LA does have good exposure to culture. Now I admit it may not be at the level as NY, but it's pretty close and for residents here, we have it. This plus pleasant climate that I can honestly say NY will never ever have unless we end up with a global climate and plate tectonic shift. Of course I realize NY will have little things LA does not have and LA will have things NY doesn't have, but that's what makes cities different. I just wanted to show that LA residents are not deprived of anything NY residents are able to do.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
Stop lying HumboldtParkRican312....erm, I mean "SwisherSweet". You haven't been to NYC. You've already told us.

Remember, you only went to Union City, NJ and got a glimpse of NYC's "grimy skyline"? Looking at the skyline from New Jersey doesn't mean you've been to NYC.

You can change screen names all you want, but your choice of words always gives you away. Your NYC envy is disturbing.

PS. on the subject of public housing, Chicago's poverty rate is much higher than NYC's. It's a crime infested warzone. Chicago is a 1970s version of NYC.
Now I wouldn't go that far, maybe mid 90's NY. Wtf is up with Chicago lately though, it's disgusting. Very very sad.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
you only went to Union City, NJ and got a glimpse of NYC's "grimy skyline"?
how do you make it all the way to union city & not visit nyc?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Cannot compare to a hot dog at the original Nathans.

And I'm laughing at the people comparing their pizzerias to NY's. Even where I live in south Florida (where NYers have opened up pizzerias), it isn't nearly the same. They hardly put any cheese or sauce on it. It's like eating a cracker. My husband and I have spoken to the owners, and they tell us that it's the NY water that makes the pizza. Multiple owners have told us this.
NY Pizza in general is like eating a cracker.

If it's less than 2 inches thick, it's not pizza, it's sauce and cheese on a cracker.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,250 times
Grimaldi's is overrated. I was much more impressed with Giordano's in Chicago, after equal amounts of hype prior to eating.
Don't get olives on your pizza @ grimaldi's, it is literally like eating a salt slice

Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default That is not real NY pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
NY Pizza in general is like eating a cracker.

If it's less than 2 inches thick, it's not pizza, it's sauce and cheese on a cracker.
That is the tourists traps pizza. The real neighborhood, in all boroughs, pizza is thicker, has to be folded in half or it will collapse, and is oozing with sauce and cheese.

I agree with your description. That kind of pizza is like eating a cracker which somebody painted with sauce and cheese.

No, I don't like that kind of pizza. I would rather even have Chicago pizza than cracker pizza.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:11 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
^^^I agree with TANaples, NYC has a variety of pizzas but the main NY Pizza is what she described. I have had thin pizza and it was good, it wasn't like eating a cracker though.

2 inches (minus) the crust is kind of big though, almost Sicilian like.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I like thin pizza myself, I like the crunchiness.

It's fine to say "I prefer X" but it intrigues me how often people online basically just make their own tastes out to be some kind of immutable fact. Some people won't like NYC or San Francisco or thick pizza or the Ritz Carlton or whatever. People have varying tastes, no need to stress on it.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:01 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
There are Pinkberry shops all over NYC
My bad. NYC does have Pinkberry. I know it started in Hollywood CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City