Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 03:59 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Uh not really. First off NY doesn't have the room for a Disney World, unless you're willing to clear a land area 2x the size of Manhattan. Secondly, the reason Walt Disney chose Orlando was due to the good weather year round. Cedar Point, which is the best roller coaster park, doesn't even crack the top 15 for attendance because it's seasonal like any park in NY would have to be.
In no way is nyc a seasonal type of city so i dont think that would be a problem. Theres room to build one in Queens, it wont be as big as the one in florida but it'll be big enough for new york.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:08 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
In no way is nyc a seasonal type of city so i dont think that would be a problem. Theres room to build one in Queens, it wont be as big as the one in florida but it'll be big enough for new york.
Would you go to Six Flags/Dorney Park/etc. if it was open year round? Now NYC isn't as cold as Ohio but you still wouldn't catch me outside for hours in January lol (unless it was one of those mild 50's/60's/70's days we get from time to time). Sometimes even October/November is too cold, went during fright fest once, never again will I do that unless we have an Indian Summer.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:11 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
well maybe they can make Disney New York a winter wonderland type park

Old 08-07-2010, 04:23 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
That's actually a good idea since there's really not a lot of places to sled down hills and stuff like that, turn the water park section into a Winter Wonderland and slide down the tubes.

A normal theme park and a water park and just convert the water park into a snow park in the Winter. Using good fake snow, not that hard stuff that quickly turns into ice.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Brings back memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That's actually a good idea since there's really not a lot of places to sled down hills and stuff like that, turn the water park section into a Winter Wonderland and slide down the tubes.

A normal theme park and a water park and just convert the water park into a snow park in the Winter. Using good fake snow, not that hard stuff that quickly turns into ice.
I grew up in the West Village off 7th Avenue. Must have either been more snow, or they didn't cart it away like now, but there were huge mounds of snow after they plowed the roads and shoveled sidewalks. Kids used to slide/sled down these mounds of snow. However, they did get pretty dirty after a few days. No, it took time for them to melt. So I guess the temps must have been fairly cold back then.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:37 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Where?
Quote:
That's never been done before. However, that's never stopped New York before either, good idea.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 9,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Anyone know if New York City has ever planned or is considering getting an indoor ski slope?

That would be nice if they got that though.
Yes, a Canadian developer proposed one in Rockaway, Queens as part of a huge mall/entertainment complex maybe 10 years ago. He was also going to build one in Toronto and one in Montreal. Of course none of them happened.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:48 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Where?
i just said that eastern queens would be an good area to do it in. lots of room out there and it would hopefully generate actual interest in the mta to extend or create more subway lines.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i just said that eastern queens would be an good area to do it in. lots of room out there and it would hopefully generate actual interest in the mta to extend or create more subway lines.
Lots of room where Eek?

Are you hinting that we should tear down thousands of middle class one and two family houses --- to build an amusement park?

Old 08-08-2010, 08:56 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I actually saw a kid carrying a surf board in a wet suit yesterday in Beach Channel, Queens. Plenty of people surf here.
And I know people that surf here in Cleveland too.. but I laugh considering I've been surfing for 15 years and am from Hawaii. IMO, surfing in NYC is limited and nothing to really phone home about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City