Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM

147 posts, read 371,229 times

Advertisements

I can give you a bunch of things that New York is lacking compared to other cities:

-True wilderness type parks close by(Catskills is almost 1.5 hours)
-Exceptional microbrew(its improving, but the best local brews in the NYC area been coming from westchester, CT, NJ, and long island are nothing like the Beervana of Portland or even Philadelphia
-Great mexican food
-Skiing is non-existent within an hour of NYC, and debatably throughout the entire Northeast
-World class beaches
-Friendly drivers, clean subways, parking

Old 08-10-2010, 07:29 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninintothevoid View Post
I can give you a bunch of things that New York is lacking compared to other cities:

-Exceptional microbrew(its improving, but the best local brews in the NYC area been coming from westchester, CT, NJ, and long island are nothing like the Beervana of Portland or even Philadelphia
-Great mexican food
-Skiing is non-existent within an hour of NYC, and debatably throughout the entire Northeast
-World class beaches
The Mexican food is just opinion but forget that, "Skiing is non-existent... debatably throughout the entire Northeast" ...umm, what? That'd be a funny debate to hear.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 PM

well, for one, there are no mountains, just relatively big hills. 4000ft is not a mountain. Skiing usually requires snow, and last time I checked, there was no snow in the northeast, just this slushy icy stuff that leads to hills such as Whiteface being nicknamed "Iceface". Occasionally you'll get the freak snow storm where you can approximate skiing, but that's like saying Washington DC is the snow capital of the US based on last winter

Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
people mines well hold new york up for not having volcanoes in its vicinity. Realistically ny has everything

Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Quote:

-Great mexican food
-World class beaches

We have went over some of these you mentioned in other pages.

--Ever hear of the famous Brooklyn brewery? Brooklyn Brewery

--You can go skiing an hour from NYC in the mountains of NJ.

--There are Mexican neighborhoods in NYC, go there for the mexican food.

--Ever hear of the NJ shore or LI beaches? They have always been known as world class.

--Have you ever been on the subways in the last few years? Most cars are brand spanking new, and at the end of each line, MTA workers come in the clean up the cars. They're MUCH cleaner than in the past.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
people mines well hold new york up for not having volcanoes in its vicinity. Realistically ny has everything
Using that logic, couldn't you say the same for EVERY US city? For example, Miami doesn't have NY's skyscrapers, but it still has skyscrapers. It doesn't have NY's public transit, but it still has public transit. It doesn't have NY's museums, but it has museums. The same way NY doesn't have world class beaches, but it still has beaches, NY doesn't have world class skiing, but it still has skiiing nearby, it doesn't have great amusement parks, but it has Six Flags NJ nearby.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 PM

1. Bah, brooklyn brewery is ok, its no Deschutes or Rogue. Actually, im starting to like the Coney Island brew, and if you go up to Westchester in Pleasantville Captain Lawrence makes a great smoked porter.

2. NJ doesn't have any mountains, see prior post

3. Good mexican food, not great. I have had great mexican food in Cali, and UT strangely enough

4. I live on Long Island, they are ok, but I wouldn't call them World Class. Maybe some private beaches in the Hamptons.

5. You can't be a friendly driver and live in New York. Anyone who tells me otherwise has never taken the Verizano or driven on the BQE. The subways are cleaner especially compared to how they were in the 90s, but they still aren't clean per say. And I still freaking hate parking anywhere in the city. Portland, Seattle, Boston weren't anywhere near as bad. San Fran might be worse, but then again I was driving a manual in the hilliest city in the US

Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
well, for one, there are no mountains, just relatively big hills. 4000ft is not a mountain. Skiing usually requires snow, and last time I checked, there was no snow in the northeast, just this slushy icy stuff that leads to hills such as Whiteface being nicknamed "Iceface". Occasionally you'll get the freak snow storm where you can approximate skiing, but that's like saying Washington DC is the snow capital of the US based on last winter
Maybe you think it sucks, but that really isn't the question. There's plenty of skiing in the Northeast.

Connecticut Ski & Snow Report | OnTheSnow.com
Maine Ski & Snow Report | OnTheSnow.com
Massachusetts Ski & Snow Report | OnTheSnow.com
New Hampshire Ski & Snow Report | OnTheSnow.com
New Jersey Ski & Snow Report | OnTheSnow.com
New York Ski & Snow Report | OnTheSnow.com
Pennsylvania Ski & Snow Report | OnTheSnow.com
Vermont Ski & Snow Report | OnTheSnow.com

Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 PM

I'm kind of trolling with that, to be fair, I go to Hunter a bunch and if I'm lucky I get decent snow up in VT, but its no where near the pow that the Rockies get and that's due to the higher humidity and the lower elevation. I'd pick NYC any day over Denver or SLC despite the much better snow there, but I figured as a New Yorker who has lived elsewhere, I'd throw out some things where New York is not #1.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I'm kind of trolling with that, to be fair, I go to Hunter a bunch and if I'm lucky I get decent snow up in VT, but its no where near the pow that the Rockies get and that's due to the higher humidity and the lower elevation. I'd pick NYC any day over Denver or SLC despite the much better snow there, but I figured as a New Yorker who has lived elsewhere, I'd throw out some things where New York is not #1.
Aw, I don't have any problem with that, but I saw no skiing in the Northeast and I was like huh, lol. We have nothing like the Rockies or anything, but it's still decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City