Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
NYC doesn't have Chicago style deep dish pizza. If it did have at least one Uno's, Lou Malnatis, or Geno's East I think that would be good as having more variety is good. When I went there I didn't see any but I think it would be good if it did.
NYC definently has UNOS thus chicago style pizza

Old 08-16-2010, 08:02 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
NYC doesn't have Chicago style deep dish pizza. If it did have at least one Uno's, Lou Malnatis, or Geno's East I think that would be good as having more variety is good. When I went there I didn't see any but I think it would be good if it did.

Yes it does.

NYC doesn't also seem to have any sort of siren when there is a severe thunderstorm. In many places in America, they have a siren but I think NYC lacks one.

True but you know how many times it'd go off, there were 2 Severe Thunderstorm Warnings (almost back to back) today alone. It'd be cool though since I like those things, for Tornado Warnings and other serious warnings.

NYC also doesn't seem to have any fundamentalist Charismatic/Pentecostal megachurches that places like Colorado Springs have. At least not in Manhattan, but I guess that is explainable because NYC is more liberal in general.

Maybe Allen AME would qualify, it's a big church in SE Queens that's occasionally featured on TV (Sundays). They have a ton of developments around the church as well.

NYC also lacks large shopping malls and mostly they are predominently individual stores but I guess that is a good thing as malls seem to be getting less and less popular. The shopping malls I saw were mostly small compared to many others in America.

NYC has a lot of malls, Kings Plaza & Queens Center are 1 million square feet, Green Acres is 2 million square feet. Plus Roosevelt Field & the Garden State Plaza are nearby and are among the top 10 largest malls in the U.S..

NYC doesn't seem to have any stores related to Native American Indian products. I have been to the U.S. customs house which was an Indian museum but that isn't a store and I don't think they sold anything. They did show an Indian dance for the children and I thought that was good.

There was a store in Green Acres Mall (featured above ) but I don't know if it's still there.

Something I think that disappoints me is that NYC doesn't seem like it has a city-wide recycling program. I saw trash cans everywhere but I don't see recycling cans where people put different types of trash into different contains to be recycled, like plastic, glass, or paper products.

There's the NYCWASTELESS recycling program

The thing that NYC seems to lack is any suitable place to walk, such as a park, that is safe to walk at night. Sometimes people want to walk and get excercise at night time and not in the daytime, and Central Park seems to be scary to run through when it is 10 to 12 pm at night. That is one thing in the suburbs that NYC doesn't have is that many American suburbs are more accomidating for walking or running when the sun has gone down. My dad told me is scared to go to a place like Central Park at night.

I think it does, I'm no park expert but I've never felt scared in Central Park, lol I wish somebody would. Like every city there's good and bad, crimes are more likely to occur at night and NYC is no exception (trust me it's really not). I think Central Park has it's own precinct but don't quote me on that.
My answers in bold.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
[quote=K.O.N.Y;15501219]
Quote:

NYC definently has UNOS thus chicago style pizza
i don't think its the same uno's. that's like saying chicago has a famous rays

and 70% of the rays in manhattan sucks

Old 08-17-2010, 01:11 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
[quote=john_starks;15503799]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

In my opinion all rays suck. But rays pizza is all over the place, while uno is a set chain resteraunt

Old 08-17-2010, 02:51 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
[quote=john_starks;15503799]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

it is the same as the original in chicago. there are 3 in manhattan. uno's is garbage (IMHO) though.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
quality housing that is affordable on a middle-class salary?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:12 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
quality housing that is affordable on a middle-class salary?
Yeah I know. NYC definitely has lack of affordable housing and could have profited much more financially and many other ways if they had just allowed for greater expansion. The UN even said the lack of affordable housing in NYC was so bad that it would also be called a "crime against humanity". What I think would have been good is if New Jersiens across the river would from Fairview, NJ to Alpine, NJ (used Google Earth to find them out) would densify and turn into a density similar to Greenwich village in Manhattan. All that extra housing could be used to make affordable middle and lower middle class housing and just cross the river to get to Manhattan. I'd be nice if Staten Island and Nassau county would densify too. If NY and NJ did that, NYC would get an even greater amount of wealth, culture, and awesomeness because the demand is so high to live there yet 99% of the people who want to live there cannot get in.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,497 times
NYC doesn't have skyways like Minneapolis, the creator of the skyway

I know that MPLS is a little colder than many northern cities, especially NYC with the mild winters they get, but I'm pretty sure NYC doesn't have them. Maybe if they had colder winters, they'd be forced to get some like us Norweigans!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
^i've already provided pics of that in nyc. we have a few in manhattan. the official name for them are traverses.

check back a few pages. anyway, an example of nature in ny again:

Quote:
Carol Aiello used to spot the intruders only at night, prowling her backyard or scurrying along her street in Glendale, Queens. But one morning not long ago, she caught one of them staring at her from a neighbor’s gutter and all of a sudden — perhaps for no reason other than seeing those black-rimmed eyes so close and in broad daylight — she panicked.
“It was nothing like what you see on TV or in children’s books,” said Ms. Aiello, 51. “It was big, it was ugly and it was scary.”
Raccoons may be wild animals, but they’re no longer a rarity in the city. They seem to be appearing in greater numbers and, like true New Yorkers, seem to be behaving much more boldly.
From Queens to Brooklyn and the Bronx, New Yorkers are coming across them in usual and also in unusual places: on stoops and rooftops, by bird feeders and garbage

YouTube - Raccoon attempts break in...Park Slope Brooklyn

Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 AM

151 posts, read 300,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
NYC doesn't have skyways like Minneapolis, the creator of the skyway

I know that MPLS is a little colder than many northern cities, especially NYC with the mild winters they get, but I'm pretty sure NYC doesn't have them. Maybe if they had colder winters, they'd be forced to get some like us Norweigans!
Yes, it actually does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.