Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 PM

23 posts, read 29,985 times

Advertisements

As a former New Yorker, the one thing that is less than ideal is the weather! Summer is hell and winter is not much better. Fall and Spring is pleasant. I love NYC, for so many things but not the weather.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
nycricanpapa, i was in new york city last summer. Like i said, the city is overrated! I've been going there since 1978 and partied at studio 54. What downtown? There's no downtown in new york. Coney island's beach amusement park, hah. Santa cruz, ca has that as well. Your so called "downtown" in lower manhattan by soho, tribeca and grenwich village/west village is an insult to other cities with real downtowns and bonafide downtown scenes. The scene in mahattan is neighborhoods scenes, not a downtown scene. Where's a museum, library, cityhall arena/stadium, major theaters, convention center and other civic and cultural buildings that make up a downtown? In manhattan, it's all over the place, not downtown. Let's get real here, please! New york ain't all that. Who are you fooling?
Downtown Manhattan has Wall St.
It's the financial capital OF THE WORLD.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
California palm trees are green. so is marijuana.
as are redwoods and evergreens.
theres plenty of leaf less dead looking trees in ny during the winter though
Where TF did California come from?

Just like there's dead looking trees in winter there's brown crap in Cali too, especially inland. And of course you add "marijuana" to sound cool on "City-Data", probably not even about no marijuana lmfao. Where is it growing anyways? Someone's basement or backyard?

I'll be the first to admit that I hate winter and the brown but you act like there's no evergreens in NY. Still sucks.

I love Cali too but damn why are you mad tho?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:46 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
there is no city like NY in america at least - paris. london, tokyo, hong kong - maybe

i'm sure paris and london would love 70 degree beaches too.

i thought this was city data?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Where TF did California come from?

Just like there's dead looking trees in winter there's brown crap in Cali too, especially inland. And of course you add "marijuana" to sound cool on "City-Data", probably not even about no marijuana lmfao. Where is it growing anyways? Someone's basement or backyard?

I'll be the first to admit that I hate winter and the brown but you act like there's no evergreens in NY. Still sucks.

I love Cali too but damn why are you mad tho?
Lmfaooooo #iDied. +1

People aren't even asking questions they're just gunning for NY. Envy much? Idk why, NYC isn't the only great city in the country.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,944 times
BPerone201, sleepy district at nights with a hole in the middle. Sounds like Detroit in the 80's, where the office district is functioning during the day and shuts down at night with exceptions of several neighborhoods like Greektown, and in case of lower Manhattan, Soho and Tribeca and parts of Grenwich Village/West and East Village are active just like Greektown of Detroit. Dead in most areas with some active neighborhoods at edges of downtown/lower Manhattan. Remember, even Soho and Grenwich Village die down after 10:30 most nights with few exceptions-A huge disappointment. Remember, New York really doesn't have much of a downtown, but it has a midtown that's equivelent to or basically a New York's Wilshire Blvd, a semi-vertical LA style city. New York is a city with no downtown just like east coast's version of LA. That's it.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 PM

96 posts, read 192,929 times
The world is the world. Each city now days stands out on its own making each city number one for its own stuff. Every city is different.

I don’t know if it is just me but it seems like most of the people on the east coast are saying new York is the best city in America. But you still have the rest of the country to consider and what people say on the topic of new York being the best city ok but why.

I wanted to point one little thing out do any of you on here realize and really take to heart if you took out time square what would people think of new York and what would it then be knocked up onto the tourism scale no offence but every soul I know who has gone there has said oh man that is the coolest thing you never here anything else about museums and such fourth.

You go to los angelas or san Francisco there are similar things to do if not more in certain fields of tourism but it is more how do I put this not as combined crowded and noisy and I hate to say this but polluted no offence I hope no one takes to it.

Just because new York is the key prime center for finance and a few other big global things I do not see the big excitement in that in I think alot of other people on city data would agree.

Personally I think you have like half of Americans if not people in the world as well who travel to cities now days more often such as san Francisco los angelas Miami Minneapolis Cleveland Chicago. I mean just from a survey point of view so what if new York is the number one most visited city in America or most popular we all have to understand that is just a portion of America and the whole world for that matter.

New York is a city full of drama and aggression and stuff to do there gets old really quick in if that makes it where people travel there more than live there then to me that does not make it a huge popular city by today’s standards at all.

In also if you read up on alot of surveys from people who have lived in new York there whole lives most of theme are moving to places like California and Arizona and other places to I guess see what else is out there.

When I was in California a few years back I saw tons of new Yorkers there people who had the talk and everything so what does that say I mean to me it explains alot I had no idea how many were out there doing just regular jobs in you can definitely tell they are from new York even at the dodgers game I was at there was this couple who said they moved out there from Manhattan.

There are so many places to travel and see in America and the whole world new York is just one city with only but so many tourist sites in when a city only has but so many tourist sites to the consumer or who is traveling there compared to many other cities in the united states that have triple it gets real old and quick.

Two times for me there was it and I have been to many other cities than new York and ironically have found a crap load of stuff to do that new York would probably never even want to have in there city.

I don’t see why so many people are doing this tuggle war battle when the surveys are only referring to half of America or a wide range of just a few million Americans and a few million from around the world.

Last edited by rosebud17; 12-14-2010 at 09:02 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
NYcricanpapa, I was in New York City last summer. Like I said, the city is overrated! I've been going there since 1978 and partied at Studio 54. What downtown? There's no downtown in New York. Coney Island's beach amusement park, hah. Santa Cruz, CA has that as well. Your so called "downtown" in Lower Manhattan by Soho, Tribeca and Grenwich Village/West Village is an insult to other cities with real downtowns and bonafide downtown scenes. The scene in Mahattan is neighborhoods scenes, not a downtown scene. Where's a museum, library, cityhall arena/stadium, major theaters, convention center and other civic and cultural buildings that make up a downtown? In Manhattan, it's all over the place, not downtown. Let's get real here, please! New York ain't all that. Who are you fooling?
Nycricanpapa? We got jokes now? huh... It looks like we got a comedian. Thank you for making my day. Hey Smurf, I'm sorry durf you really think that New York is not all that? Then why everybody wants to be from New York? Why everybody comes to NYC? Why did a guy from New Jersey (Frank Sinatra) wrote the song of New York? Because NYC is "all that" my friend. You say this you say that but still you have not provided me with any sources.. In the meantime, I have provided you with plenty of sources telling you that NYC is not overrated nor boring... Another website stating to you that NYC is the best city in the world....

News Headlines

Please when you are making an argument back it up with sources. You stated that you have been going to NYC since 1978? This line is pretty funny. So now this makes me wonder, If you think that NYC is very boring and overrated, then why are you still coming to NYC since 1978? LOL Nice try pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud17 View Post
TO

nycricanpapi

What people and how many people out of Americas population move there and visit there everyday or how many of theme do you know are not new Yorkers to begin with.

I am just saying not to fight last summer when I was in Chicago I met over 50 people who moved there for all different kinds of jobs and lived all through the united states one person was even from new York state when i have traveled to alot of other cities i have noticed that there are almost more foreighners who barely speak english in i mean even in cities like seattle san fransisco has millions from all over the world when i saw alcatraz there was a couple from france who sat next to uss on the boat.

New york might be the number one most visted city in america or the world but i think saying it as the number one city is like saying visa is the best credit card company other cities now days have hundreds of things to offer that new york would never have and many things that over rank it in terms of best law firms best hostpitals all kinds of stuff.

So when you say it is number one city i think alot of people would have to say it is number one city for about maybe four big things compared to the rest of the nation one of theme would deffinitely be financial now we all agree on that.

I mean new York might have a beautiful downtown out of everything in other cities but that does not make up a real tourist city for about a hundred other things to do.

I have only been to new York twice and when I was there after to shows and walking down time square and seeing the glammer which I could have easily seen much more of in Vegas in my opinion it got old real old.

When I was in los angelas two years ago there is more to do out there where you would almost need to have a full year to take off to see everything which is more than I can seriously say for new York.

In if everybody wants to defend new York and think it is the city that rules thane go a head but I do think you have a huge amount of Americans that really disagree and probably people all over the world for that matter.
What are you trying to say when you say that many who lives in NYC are foreigners and do not knows English? You know why there are a lot of Foreigners in NYC? Because many people wants to move to NYC. You know how the saying goes "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere.

You stated that you have been to Times Square twice, and that it could get very old. Well of course it can because that was the only place that you went. NYC is compromised of 5 boroughs, and in these 5 boroughs there are different things to see and to do. This clearly shows that you have not been throughout NYC, and that you are only going based on your visit in Times Square. Times Square is not the only place to see in NYC.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Did some of you posters on the last few pages actually read the OP? Its not asking your opinion on New York City or New Yorkers. Its not asking whether you think NYC has a downtown to your liking or not.

Its supposed to be a thread about things that New York does not have. Instead its become an attack thread for trolls looking for rate-ups.
Agreed that people do use this just to bash New York rather than an attempt a non-biased appraisal. Although possibly the nature of the thread opens itself up for attacking NYC.

Still I think many New Yorkers on this thread have been overly defensive. I've limited myself to things neutral enough I think I've received little or no complaints, but I think "NYC has no mountains" led to some defensiveness which I found odd. Or "it has no Waffle House." A person could say that without meaning it needs a Waffle House or must have a Waffle House or is bad for not having one. New Yorkers don't really need to respond with "Waffle House is stupid" or something.

Further many New Yorkers do seem to assume we all just envy NYC and that does get a bit annoying. I've tried to be neutral and fair, but I can definitely tell you I do not envy NYC. I have no interest in living there and not even much interest in visiting. I know it has many wonderful things, but it's just not my interest. It's politically way too liberal for me, I don't like traffic, and from everything I've heard it's very expensive. (Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are similarly uninteresting to me.) I'm also just not interested in living in any big city. But that's just me, it doesn't represent some larger anti-NYC agenda or at least I hope it doesn't, and if I won a trip there I'd imagine I'd like it.

Also I think some of us do try to limit to what's factual and if we're wrong we'll relent. I mostly backed down on the fjord and Pre-Reformation Church thing. I think my last one was Paul Bunyan statues, balls of twine, and other such Roadside Attractions. It's not a sign I'm pressing on NYC to have a giant statue of Paul Bunyan holding a twine ball. Or for that matter for anyone to have such a thing

Last edited by Thomas R.; 12-14-2010 at 10:33 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times
Ah, the Big Apple.

For a 100% pure urban experience around the edges, 24/7...you cannot beat NYC.

But it's NOT the center of MY universe.

I'd rather have a mix of different commercial scales here in Houston.

We do have the wide sidewalks and large skysraper vibe in Houston if we want...just at a lesser intensity, and more time-constricted sense compared to a more traditional dense US city.

But does NY have something like an Old Town Spring or a nice comfy low-rise Rice Village or a Montrose 'hood which features an oddball commercial mix of converted churches, Victorian mini-mansions, funky cottages like Houston? The Heights with its different micro-environments in Houston is becoming more of a funky hip neo-urban treat by the day!

I like to go to a wide open space like Arthur Storey Park in Houston, with that interesting duck pond and Buddhist temple near the little waterway, yet be able to go across the street to get some Vietnamese pho afterward if I want. Can't really have that in NY.

NYC? All they have at their immediate disposal is Central Park?

They can have their hot dog stands on big sidewalks up in New York City. I'd rather have the abundance of pho beef noodle houses here in Houston. Westminster, CA and Houston are the two best cities for Vietnamese beef noodle soup (the stuff in San Fran Bay area just doesn't compare in my opinion). Walking around NY Chinatown, couldn't find a pho place...so we stumbled across nearby Little Italy and ate Italian instead. I'm sure there's pho somewhere in NYC and its boroughs but I'm not holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City