Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 07:01 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,150 times

Advertisements

Well I can only compare Manhattan with Downtown Chicago (South Loop, Loop, Mag Mile/River North, Gold Coast).

DT Chicago has a far more relaxing atmosphere, which I cannot really find in Manhattan. It's much cleaner, more manageable, and honestly, more livable. Those qualities I cannot really say Manhattan has. However, Manhattan offers more of everything.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:04 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,137 times
Why do people keep bringing up the same stuff? NYC is not going to be comparable to every single city in every single category. Do you seriously think Coney Island trumps any Disney Park (with Downtown Disney sort of being an exception). Whoever says yes is lying.

It's the same scenario for a lot of things.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:10 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Apple/Google type companies: None that I know of, any other major cities have em?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/03/ny...ding.html?_r=3

While Google isn't based in NYC they just spent $1.8 billion to purchase 2.9 million sq/ft of office space there.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
Why do people keep bringing up the same stuff? NYC is not going to be comparable to every single city in every single category. Do you seriously think Coney Island trumps any Disney Park (with Downtown Disney sort of being an exception). Whoever says yes is lying.

It's the same scenario for a lot of things.
People are jealous of NYC that is why they must find something that is not comparable.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud17 View Post
Ok so we have all shared are opinions new York might be number one city in America for tourism and a few other big capital things. In the hundred other things new York does not have I think some people have already listed but I will do so to to help out.

2. san Francisco for Alcatraz fisherman’s Warf second largest Chinatown in the united states. other ethical neighborhoods you don’t get a feel for like you would get in other cities. There own symphony which is remarkable and there own balley. Also Boston has a great one unlike new York’s.

So, your argument is that NYC doesn't have the second largest Chinatown? It has the largest. Ethical neighborhoods? Im assuming you meant Ethnic neighborhoods? If so, then fail. Symphony? fail. Balley (Ballet?), fail again.

3. Chicago merchandise mart the biggest indoor shopping place in America for the way it is built. marshal fields huge in I mean huge shopping area. Michigan avenue with its own unique stores and attractions. museums you are only going to get there with things Chicago only has to offer. navy pear very big tourist trap. john Hancock tower sears building. millennium park which to me is nicer and cleaner than central park.

NYC doesn't have a "merchandise mart", but keep in mind, the mart is more of an office building now, than a "shopping place" (I worked in it for a year)...I dare you to name a store on michigan ave that is unique to Chicago (other than some gift shop). Are you really comparing Millennium Park to Central Park? THey are not even in the same league. I am from Chicago, and find these points stupid.

6. dc the Washington dc zoo which is huge big museums that only make dc stand out for what it has to offer everything pertaining to our government that is there to take tours of with packs of lines every single day of the year. Especially places like the fbi building.

The national zoo is not very unique.

7. san Diego the biggest zoo in America so far as I know alot of beach tourism attractions and shopping in a different category than a big city also beautiful weather almost nicer than los angelas.

Again, their zoo is big, but not really unique. sort of overrated imo.

8. Orlando Florida there Disney world sea world universal studios which there’s is different from the one in los angelas.

None of those attractions are in Orlando.

9. Boston for much more traditional kinds of stuff never been but I know huge museums of there own kind huge shopping districts tours of different colonies.

"much more traditional kinds of stuff".....well, case closed. that is the best argument I have ever heard.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 PM

96 posts, read 192,797 times
To

nycricanpapi

I think you need to take a few deep breaths and calm down if i did not know any better i would assume we might have said some stuff about the world or yes the united states that is true for the most part in certain cities and areas and even over seas like i just said the world that has made you unhappy but it is true.

Personally i think everyone on here has better things to do thene to compare new york with other cities that is lame by itself i know i have way more important things to do in life like travel to other cities that kick ass compared to new york in terms of just not really even having fun but an all around good time for a good decent price which is more than I can say for new York.

I think all of you new York posters on here are getting offended by how the country and world has evolved and changed over the past decades and cities have grown more and developed more with stuff to do that makes new York look like it is in the shaddows if that is the case get over it and move on the world will always keep growing and cities will always keep growing with more and more exciting things to do and better things making each city by itself its own number one in many things.

I never said china town in san Francisco was bigger than the main Chinatown of the united states in Manhattan I said it was the second biggest of Chinatowns in the united states putting the one in Manhattan first ok so you when there you got something to brag about your precious nest egg new York. I am aware that new York has four or five different Chinatowns once again I said the one in san Francisco for all of the Asian population out there is the second biggest out of American cities.

I think you took the whole merchandise mart thing a bit to far it has been in Chicago for many years and has attracted tourist from all over the world we do not need you to lay out for us all of the shopping areas in new York and what it has to offer did it ever occur to you with some good decent since people don’t always come to a city just to shop I know I don’t and people I know don’t if that makes a difference probably not to you though but it is true.

Still though if you read through all of the prime and perfect examples of American cities now days that kick ass over new York you will have to get over the fact that new York is a dying city now days in terms of tourism the way people flock to other places no offence but it just is what it is. I am sorry but believe me travel very extensive and you wont even need to come on these threads people in other cities will even tell you that you are wasting your time.

Oh yeah and many other cities in America have huge ethical neighborhoods I never said any of theme were bigger than new York’s I really think someone of your caliber might be getting now to the point where you might now know these other cites have stuff on new York that make it look like a tourist trap dump but you are scared to admit it. Its ok you can tell us we wont laugh.

My suggestion to you is travel around the world take a few years off and go over seas and to other cities and really see what is out there I think you will be very open minded when you come back a few months from then and when I mean over seas really far away and ask some of the people you so call think are head over heels for new York there theories on other American cities. In break it down with theme you know stuff like where would you rather go for your dollar and to have a good decent time and not have alot of aggression member they watch TV to they know what certain American cities represent even before they come over here.

In out of the four times i have been to vegas boy let me tell you in terms of excitement and just all around more spacious i will remember it to the day i die there was so much excitement one of my buddies actually thought he was in new york or some crowded city street in any city other than vegas but thene we snapped ourselves back to reality and i think if i am not mistaken it was about 3:30 am in the morning. To me there is way more excitement in vegas to make new york city streets look like there dead for ten hours of hiding.

This is a loosing argument all the way I think anyone who has since will realize there are thousands of things to see in this world and new York is like a tiny little inch of only a few of the things people now days even care about.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by rosebud17; 12-15-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud17 View Post
To

I never said china town in san Francisco was bigger than the main Chinatown of the united states in Manhattan I said it was the second biggest of Chinatowns in the united states putting the one in Manhattan first ok so you when there you got something to brag about your precious nest egg new York. I am aware that new York has four or five different Chinatowns once again I said the one in san Francisco for all of the Asian population out there is the second biggest out of American cities.

Still though if you read through all of the prime and perfect examples of American cities now days that kick ass over new York you will have to get over the fact that new York is a dying city now days in terms of tourism the way people flock to other places no offence but it just is what it is. I am sorry but believe me travel very extensive and you wont even need to come on these threads people in other cities will even tell you that you are wasting your time.

Oh yeah and many other cities in America have huge ethical neighborhoods I never said any of theme were bigger than new York’s I really think someone of your caliber might be getting now to the point where you might now know these other cites have stuff on new York that make it look like a tourist trap dump but you are scared to admit it. Its ok you can tell us we wont laugh.

My suggestion to you is travel around the world take a few years off and go over seas and to other cities and really see what is out there I think you will be very open minded when you come back a few months from then and when I mean over seas really far away and ask some of the people you so call think are head over heels for new York there theories on other American cities. In break it down with theme you know stuff like where would you rather go for your dollar and to have a good decent time and not have alot of aggression member they watch TV to they know what certain American cities represent even before they come over here.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Well then why mention that SF has a chinatown? because NYC has one.. Also why mention that other cities have other ethnic neighborhoods? NYC has many ethnicities. This thread is asking only what other cities have that NYC does not have.. Your post is simply indicating that NYC has it all, to what we NYers and other people have been saying all along.

I have travel to many cities out of USA and no city can compare to NYC.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 PM

To

nycricanpapi

I was simply mentioning those things as for others who mention the same things cities have but might actually get a better feel and see certain things and see a certain variety of difference in the ethnical neighborhoods when you go to other cities. I am sorry but millions of people do that on city data new York is not the only place that has mixed races of people.

In I think I am very aware it is a thread of people stating things that nyc does not have and believe me there is hundreds but we don’t want to go down that road again I don’t want you to feel like someone is attacking you. Oh yeah and just about every big city in the united states has a Chinatown and I can first hand say they all stick out and look different to everyone.

In great if you have been outside the united states and think new York is still the best city there is to offer that is your opinion. I myself have been to both France and England and when I was in england to me London was better than new York way better and my family who I was with at the time said it was not only better but much cleaner and more spread out and just all around safer and more comfortable if you can believe it I think it was maybe because my family has been to new york a few times not me though heavens no I hated it I think I have made that pretty clear and some others on here have to for that matter. But I think my dads words were new york got real old hey lets go back to enlgand in a few years I think those were his words god we had fun.

What I was telling you was next time you go to an overseas city somewhere ask the people I mean really get thorough with theme and let theme give there honest answers and oppinions to what they think of Americas society and our culture and do not just provide details on new York give other cities a chance because i think from these threads and what it has shown you about other cities and alot of people aswell have mentioned that they have grown you might not get so many people leaning towards new York especially when we already know millions of americans cannot stand the city for what it has to offer or what little it has to offer so what do you think the rest of the world will say about new york when they are up to speed on a lot of other cities in america and what they have to offer I think they have done there research to I mean you yourself should really check up on some of these other small and big cities where they have hundreds and thousands of illegal immigrants and just immigrants living in todays society everyone spreads out adventually and i think it is great are country has been able to do that atleast we know we are making progress with other cities and hundreds of other things they have to offer it is really fasinating. I think you well even notice now days more and more immigrants illegal or not are coming to many other cities big cities instead of new york who have nothing or do not know anyone.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by rosebud17; 12-15-2010 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,684 times
lol@ these long posts. i wonder if anybody is reading a word of the.
keep up the good work guys.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 PM

sometimes sad as it sounds you have to write long post to get a point across to certain groups of people who think the cities they live in our the king capitals of the world LOL LOL LOL ha ha ha oh man christ my ribbs hurt how stuped all of this is. But atleast it has logic and a point to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City