Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 08:04 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Other than the photos of the whales, those are not nature photos, they are photos of a landscaped park crowded with people. NYC doesn't have nature like a lot of the rest of the nation. But really who cares about that one aspect. You seem obsessed with proving that NYC has a lot of nature when it doesn't. I have never met one person who was going to visit NYC that was going for the "nature experience". There are a multitude of reasons for visiting and living in NYC, nature is not one of them.

Also when you are posting photos you didn't take, you need to at least give the proper credit for them and make sure they are not copyrighted.
Absolutely true....

Trying to pass Central Park off as "nature" is a little desperate..

One does not go to NYC for the "back-to-the-woods" experience..

Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
so because ppl don't go to nyc for the nature that means that we don't have nature??
Where did I say that? I didn't, you must have a reading comprehension problem if that is what you took away from the post you quoted.

Quote:
you obviously have never been to nyc in your life tho, or if you went you never left manhattan. you don't know what you're talking about.
Been there several times. Saw parks, saw waterfront, never seen "nature. You don't know what you are talking about if you think a park equates to real nature.

Quote:
you're fully aware that the ny that you see on tv is just a small area of one borough, correct??
What does this have to do with anything? I don't base my opinions on an area from the media.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:09 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
because you didn't want man made parks:

anything else? you seem to be obsessed with downplaying what we have in ny. your whole focus seems to be to litter negative and untrue things about ny throughout your posts.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
because you didn't want man made parks:

anything else? you seem to be obsessed with downplaying what we have in ny. your whole focus seems to be to litter negative and untrue things about ny throughout your posts.
That's not what I have been saying at all. You really do have a problem with understanding the written word don't you?

You seem obsessed with trying to prove that NYC has everything either bigger or better than other places. You live in an amazing city, why be a Homer and come off looking like a fool.

NYC does NOT have the nature resources that other places in the Country does. Plain and simple. You have some, but not in the quantity you are trying to pass off.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Absolutely true....

Trying to pass Central Park off as "nature" is a little desperate..

One does not go to NYC for the "back-to-the-woods" experience..
one doesn't have to. there are a number of things that one can go to ny for. we have unlimited options.

now that is a bad thing??

none of the pics i posted are from central park, either, so what are you talking about?

Quote:
Where did I say that? I didn't, you must have a reading comprehension problem if that is what you took away from the post you quoted.
you implied it. because ppl don't go to nyc for nature then we don't have it is basically what you said.

nyc has nature whether ppl realize it or not. even when it is shown to them ppl want to downplay it. we show you parks and thats not good enough. ok then, i can show you nature that occurs outside of parks. we have hawks, raccoons, squirrels, swans, etc. that you don't have to go to a park to see.

can you comprehend that?

Quote:
Been there several times. Saw parks, saw waterfront, never seen "nature. You don't know what you are talking about if you think a park equates to real nature.
maybe its because i live here and you just visit and don't know where to go...

but that doesn't mean that nyc doesn't have nature. we definitely do. have you ever been to queens outside of an airport??

we don't need parks, we have nature in queens without parks.

Quote:
What does this have to do with anything? I don't base my opinions on an area from the media.
your posts are based off of stereotypes that aren't true. you base your opinions on something. heresy, television, something.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 AM
eek

Quote:
That's not what I have been saying at all. You really do have a problem with understanding the written word don't you?
you seem to have a problem accepting what is fact and what is not.

you are trying to tell a nyer about ny. again, where you visit, i live.

Quote:
You seem obsessed with trying to prove that NYC has everything either bigger or better than other places. You live in an amazing city, why be a Homer and come off looking like a fool.

NYC does NOT have the nature resources that other places in the Country does. Plain and simple. You have some, but not in the quantity you are trying to pass off.
na, i don't like the fact that ppl that don't know what they're talking about rely on stereotypes when it comes to ny.

the only person that looks like a fool is you and a few others that are saying things that just aren't true.

first ny didnt have nature.
then i showed you.
then it was that "oh, its just parks"
then i showed you nature outside of parks.

now what is it gonna be?

queens is a very large borough. brooklyn is very large. etc. etc.

we have nature and we have a lot of it. no, it doesn't get shown on tv a lot but that doesn't mean that we don't have it.

you, a visitor would never go to nyc for the nature and would buy into the stereotypes. its easy to believe that nyc doesn't have nature if you just go through lga or kennedy, take a cab into manhattan, put your things in your hotel room and walk around times sq.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,853 times
Yeah, I became a bit confused by the thread. When I originally saw it, it was posted in the NYC forum. NYC, made up of 5 boroughs, I thought the OP was asking what we did not have in the borough of Manhattan. That is why I replied "BBQ". I know that it is available in Queens, Brooklyn, da Bronx, Staten Island. I just thought we were talking about Manhattan.

Maybe that is what is going wrong with the "nature" question. There are some great areas with awesome nature sites - but they do not exist in Manhattan (if I am to honor the "man-made park" theory). I think we all need clarification on what specific area we are talking about: all 5 boroughs or just Manhattan. By moving it to a more general forum, you are opening the topic up to what would be visitors to NY. Most of them are coming for the borough of Manhattan (with maybe a little bit of Brooklyn tossed in if they decided to walk across the bridges).

I hope this post made sense.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
one doesn't have to. there are a number of things that one can go to ny for. we have unlimited options.

now that is a bad thing??
Which is EXACTLY what I was saying

Quote:
none of the pics i posted are from central park, either, so what are you talking about?
The photo of the raccoon (http://www.flickr.com/photos/billy3001/1465593015/in/set-72157602157086320/ - broken link) is from Central Park.

Quote:
you implied it. because ppl don't go to nyc for nature then we don't have it is basically what you said.
Again with the reading comprehension problems. I didn't imply that people don't go to NYc for nature because it doesn't have any. I implied that there are many other reasons to go there, nature not being one of them.

Quote:
nyc has nature whether ppl realize it or not. even when it is shown to them ppl want to downplay it. we show you parks and thats not good enough. ok then, i can show you nature that occurs outside of parks. we have hawks, raccoons, squirrels, swans, etc. that you don't have to go to a park to see.
can you comprehend that?
That is wildlife, NOT nature.

Quote:
maybe its because i live here and you just visit and don't know where to go...

but that doesn't mean that nyc doesn't have nature. we definitely do. have you ever been to queens outside of an airport??
Never been to the airport in Queens, or any other NY airport for that matter.

Quote:
we don't need parks, we have nature in queens without parks.

your posts are based off of stereotypes that aren't true. you base your opinions on something. heresy, television, something.
based on several visits, did you not comprehend that portion of my post?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
i was going to say wolves, but i saw someone walking a wolf on a leash just like regular dog lol
that thing looked scary as hell too. it had a muzzle, but i made sure i walked on the other side of the street anyway.
didn't want to take any chances..

Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 AM
eek

Quote:

The photo of the raccoon (http://www.flickr.com/photos/billy3001/1465593015/in/set-72157602157086320/ - broken link) is from Central Park.
so x that out. what about the hawk, the snail, the swan, ducks, whale, etc.?? there are raccoons in other areas of ny in the wild. occasionally you hear about them.

Quote:
Again with the reading comprehension problems. I didn't imply that people don't go to NYc for nature because it doesn't have any. I implied that there are many other reasons to go there, nature not being one of them.
in doing so you implied that ny doesn't have nature because of that.

just because we are known for not having nature doesn't mean that the stereotype is true.

Quote:
That is wildlife, NOT nature.
again, queens has a ton of nature.

first ppl wanted animals. now they want flowers and gardens and stuff. lol at this. both of these examples have been posted.

Quote:
Never been to the airport in Queens, or any other NY airport for that matter.

based on several visits, did you not comprehend that portion of my post?
you need to move off of comprehension for a min and comprehend that your several visits doesn't mean that what you say is the gospel when it comes to nyc.

how many inches do you want to move the goal post this time??

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i was going to say wolves, but i saw someone walking a wolf on a leash just like regular dog lol
that thing looked scary as hell too. it had a muzzle, but i made sure i walked on the other side of the street anyway.
didn't want to take any chances..
a dude in harlem, iirc, had a pet tiger! lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City