Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston (Metropolitan area included) 261 47.11%
San Francisco (Bay Area/Metro) 293 52.89%
Voters: 554. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 09:43 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL108 View Post
But, instead, Boston is demonized as Soviet Russia and San Francisco is romanticized as Shangri-La.
People who arent bitter tend to love San Francisco. And I have *NEVER* heard Boston described that way vs San Francisco. Youre being a tad melodramatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boticelli
SF on the other hand is as expensive as, if not more expensive than NYC, and you are absolutely right, if I want to spend that much money, I will live in NYC (or Paris for that matter), not a regional city like San Francisco.
Yawns 20,000 expats around the world disagree.

It must cause you so much pain to see SF(Pop 800,000) be so highly regarded and dreamed about by so many people around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 09:49 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
People who arent bitter tend to love San Francisco. And I have *NEVER* heard Boston described that way vs San Francisco. Youre being a tad melodramatic.

Yawns 20,000 expats around the world disagree.

It must cause you so much pain to see SF(Pop 800,000) be so highly regarded and dreamed about by so many people around the world.
Nobody denies its popularity. however the whole point of his post (which I strongly agree) is the fact that San Francisco is highly romanticized, hugely overrated, and grossly overpriced for what it really is. It is a great city, but no more than a less sophisticated version of Boston with better climate. What does it really offer that Boston does not? Nothing (except weather and better nature).

Now you are saying pop 800,000. But whenever it comes to economic power, jobs etc, you quickly start to talk about "the bay area". You probably do it so frequently that you don't even realize it any more.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:15 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Nobody denies its popularity. however the whole point of his post (which I strongly agree) is the fact that San Francisco is highly romanticized, hugely overrated, and grossly overpriced for what it really is. It is a great city, but no more than a less sophisticated version of Boston with better climate. What does it really offer that Boston does not? Nothing (except weather and better nature).
You mean an exceptional urban environment with top tier amenities of every kind, that attracts the best and brightest from around the world, with temperate climate and stunning natural setting, oh the most dynamic economy on the planet and the biggest paychecks in the Americas, are not enough?

LOL I dont know what else to say.

Quote:
Now you are saying pop 800,000. But whenever it comes to economic power, jobs etc, you quickly start to talk about "the bay area". You probably do it so frequently that you don't even realize it any more.
Oh no I do that quite deliberately because I can.

San Francisco is The City that has conquered the world's heart, the Greater Bay Area otoh has conquered the global economy.

Perhaps that NY Mag article is correct?

It’s hard to pinpoint the exact moment that San Francisco morphed into bizarro-world New York, when it went from being the city’s dorky, behoodied West Coast cousin to being, in many ways, more New York–ish than New York itself—its wealth more impressive, its infatuation with power and status more blinding...Or maybe it was when San Francisco became the new American capital of real-estate kvetching...

Old 11-07-2017, 10:16 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I love both cities, but would go with San Francisco if money was no object.

What does San Fran offer besides better weather and nature? Well besides nature close to the city, the city has better parks, and I over all find the city to be more attractive. I also find the large Asian population to provide more diversity than Boston.

Sure Boston has better museums, but i would like point out that I think you are overrating the sophistication of Boston relative to San Francisco. San Francisco has 4 Michelin 3-star restaurants in city limits which is only one less than NYC's 5. If count Napa Valley, 7 of the 14 2017 3-star restaurant's are in or near the Bay area which is as many as NYC and Chicago combined. Wouldn't you agree that fine dining is a big part of sophistication?

Everything else aside San Fran has a different vibe from Boston, or any other city. It's incredibly unique and goes beyond good weather and natural beauty. The whole is larger than the sum of the parts.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:41 AM

11 posts, read 11,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I love both cities, but would go with San Francisco if money was no object.

What does San Fran offer besides better weather and nature? Well besides nature close to the city, the city has better parks, and I over all find the city to be more attractive. I also find the large Asian population to provide more diversity than Boston.

Sure Boston has better museums, but i would like point out that I think you are overrating the sophistication of Boston relative to San Francisco. San Francisco has 4 Michelin 3-star restaurants in city limits which is only one less than NYC's 5. If count Napa Valley, 7 of the 14 2017 3-star restaurant's are in or near the Bay area which is as many as NYC and Chicago combined. Wouldn't you agree that fine dining is a big part of sophistication?

Everything else aside San Fran has a different vibe from Boston, or any other city. It's incredibly unique and goes beyond good weather and natural beauty. The whole is larger than the sum of the parts.
No offense, but someone from Texas would say what you just said…

And, FYI, the Michelin guides only choose to rate New York, Chicago, and San Francisco for this country, thus they’re antiquated bullsh*t and not a viable source. The fine-dining in Boston is just as good as if not better than anything I’ve had the misfortune of over-paying for in San Francisco. And how could San Francisco’s food-scene possibly be that great if I couldn’t find a decent martini to save my life?! The Bay does farm-to-table food and pan-Asian food (although the Asian food in Los Angeles and New York is far superior), but it doesn’t really do cocktails or all other kinds of cuisine, “true” Euro-centric fine-dining included.

I’ll reiterate: I’m a New Yorker foodie snob and I’m more impressed with the food in Boston than in San Francisco.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:44 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Both cities have inflated egos and both need to be taken down a peg. Both vastly overrate their own awesomeness.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:45 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL108 View Post
I’ll reiterate: I’m a New Yorker foodie snob and I’m more impressed with the food in Boston than San Francisco.
Interesting, I feel like Boston really doesn't have great food. I always look forward to my trips to NYC for that reason. I would rate many cities higher than Boston in the food department, including many half the size of Boston.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:52 AM

11 posts, read 11,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Interesting, I feel like Boston really doesn't have great food. I always look forward to my trips to NYC for that reason. I would rate many cities higher than Boston in the food department, including many half the size of Boston.
Dude, where are you eating/drinking in Boston?!

Boston’s food is certainly not on-par with New York’s, by a long shot, but San Francisco’s food is not better than Boston’s—you’re just swallowing the bullsh*t placebos that all the travel magazines and the Michelin guides are offering you...

Old 11-07-2017, 10:53 AM

In terms of sophistication, I remember a friend of mine after moving to the Bay area complained that he could not even find a good classic music radio channel. And he moved from Rochester, NY.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Both cities have inflated egos and both need to be taken down a peg. Both vastly overrate their own awesomeness.
True, but Boston doesn't seem to constantly boast about how "unique" and special it is. Boston hardly has as an inflated ego as San Francisco. The self-perceived awesomeness is on different scales.

Honestly, San Francisco is at par with Boston in general, but it often thinks it is like Paris with beaches, or being closer to the greatness of NYC than with real peers such as Boston or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City