Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston (Metropolitan area included) 261 47.11%
San Francisco (Bay Area/Metro) 293 52.89%
Voters: 554. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:30 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Wow. Relax.

If you read my post again, you'll notice I didn't even mention SF. Do glance back at that.

I have no idea what guides you're talking about. I assure you I don't let other people, including you, form my opinions.

I would take Cleveland, Baltimore, Minneapolis/St Paul, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee all over Boston as a food city.

Boston simply is not that special, though not bad, in this department. Try to relax though.

This is all pretty subjective. I think Boston offers more variety of cuisine than these other places you mention. I like Cleveland food my wife's family lives
out there. I think Boston and especially Cambridge and Somerville offer more variety (number of places with food options from varying ethnicities - Hawaiian poke, Japanese, Mediterranean, Lebanese, Brazilian, Ethiopian, Thai etc etc). I find the whole Michelin thing a bit overrated because those places are so white table cloth expensive I wouldn't go more than once a lifetime.

Last edited by Ne999; 11-07-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 11,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
This is all pretty subjective. I think Boston offers more variety of cuisine than these other places you negation. I like Cleveland food my wife's family live out there. I think Boston and especially Cambridge and Somerville offer more variety (number of places with food options from varying ethnicities - Hawaiian poke, Japanese, Mediterranean, Lebanese, Brazilian, Ethiopian, Thai etc etc. I find the whole Michelin thing a bit overrated because those places are so white table cloth expensive I wouldn't go more than once a lifetime.
Yes! Exactly.

And here's some food for thought (it's a travel rag, but who cares?): Boston Restaurants, Find the Best Restaurants in Boston, Massachusetts | Travel + Leisure

Last edited by MLL108; 11-07-2017 at 04:15 PM..

Old 11-07-2017, 08:06 PM

615 posts, read 599,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Yawns 20,000 expats around the world disagree.

It must cause you so much pain to see SF(Pop 800,000) be so highly regarded and dreamed about by so many people around the world.
Those of them who make it to SF likely won't be staying long. 40% of bay area residents want to leave. This is unprecedentedly high among major North American cities. It just proves how overrated and overly romanticized San Francisco is.

Quote:
San Francisco is The City that has conquered the world's heart, the Greater Bay Area otoh has conquered the global economy.

Perhaps that NY Mag article is correct?

It’s hard to pinpoint the exact moment that San Francisco morphed into bizarro-world New York, when it went from being the city’s dorky, behoodied West Coast cousin to being, in many ways, more New York–ish than New York itself—its wealth more impressive, its infatuation with power and status more blinding...Or maybe it was when San Francisco became the new American capital of real-estate kvetching...

San Francisco is not New York.

If you think that article is correct, you are more delusional than I thought.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Those of them who make it to SF likely won't be staying long. 40% of bay area residents want to leave. This is unprecedentedly high among major North American cities. It just proves how overrated and overly romanticized San Francisco is.
Haha thats directly related to housing affordability. I dont blame people who dont want to pay 5Gs a month for a 1bd apt and/or endure the 2nd longest commute in the US.

Quote:
San Francisco is not New York.

If you think that article is correct, you are more delusional than I thought.
I sense a whole lot of rankled feelings in this post.

Is it this direct quote from NY Magazine that struck a nerve?:

It’s hard to pinpoint the exact moment that San Francisco morphed into bizarro-world New York, when it went from being the city’s dorky, behoodied West Coast cousin to being, in many ways, more New York–ish than New York itself—its wealth more impressive, its infatuation with power and status more blinding...

Is San Francisco New York? -- New York Magazine

In fact, I can think of **nowhere** else in North America that statement could possibly describe except the Bay Area.

No need to be upset-that's life.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I sense a whole lot of rankled feelings in this post.

Is it this direct quote from NY Magazine that struck a nerve?:

It’s hard to pinpoint the exact moment that San Francisco morphed into bizarro-world New York, when it went from being the city’s dorky, behoodied West Coast cousin to being, in many ways, more New York–ish than New York itself—its wealth more impressive, its infatuation with power and status more blinding...

Is San Francisco New York? -- New York Magazine

In fact, I can think of **nowhere** else in North America that statement could possibly describe except the Bay Area.

No need to be upset-that's life.
San Francisco is in no way comparable to New York City. It's not even close.

Only in bizarro world.

San Francisco is a small city of 800k, 1/10th that of NYC, and an urban core less than 1/4 the size of Chicago. It only has 5 buildings taller than 200m.

And that's the urban core, to say nothing of sleepy San Jose or Mountain View over an hour away. Those residents may drive the economy, but they rarely experience anything resembling an urban lifestyle, unless as you say, they regularly endure the 3rd worst ranked traffic in North America to get to it - and when they do, what a let down compared to even Boston, let alone Chicago or NYC.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
San Francisco is in no way comparable to New York City. It's not even close.

Only in bizarro world.

San Francisco is a small city of 800k, 1/10th that of NYC, and an urban core less than 1/4 the size of Chicago. It only has 5 buildings taller than 200m.

And that's the urban core, to say nothing of sleepy San Jose or Mountain View over an hour away. Those residents may drive the economy, but they rarely experience anything resembling an urban lifestyle, unless as you say, they regularly endure the 3rd worst ranked traffic in North America to get to it - and when they do, what a let down compared to even Boston, let alone Chicago or NYC.
bwahaha take it with New York Magazine buddy.

I think they were talking about stuff like this:

2016 GDP:
San Francisco & SJ MSAs(Pop 6.6 mln): $723 Billion
Province of Ontario(Pop. 13.4 mln) $590 Billion

Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
bwahaha take it with New York Magazine buddy.

I think they were talking about stuff like this:

2016 GDP:
San Francisco & SJ MSAs(Pop 6.6 mln): $723 Billion
Province of Ontario(Pop. 13.4 mln) $590 Billion

Ontario's economy is centralized and driven by the city of Toronto. The Bay Area's economy is decentralized and driven by San Jose - Mountain View. The beauty of a centralized system is that the city driving it is actually good.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Ontario's economy is centralized and driven by the city of Toronto. The Bay Area's economy is decentralized and driven by San Jose - Mountain View. The beauty of a centralized system is that the city driving it is actually good.
Why does the city stink? Torontonians want to know - Toronto - CBC News

Yawns.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
So Toronto for one day smelled like San Francisco does all year.

But hey you're starting this not me, stick to comparing a city like Boston which is more in your small town's league.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
So Toronto for one day smelled like San Francisco does all year.

But hey you're starting this not me, stick to comparing a city like Boston which is more in your small town's league.
bwahaha both SF and Boston have regional economies in excess of $500B.

Toronto is closer to Seattle or Atlanta.

Fyi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City