Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Again it's the age thing I can't knock New Orleans it's going win in terms of history, and New Orleans is consider one of most unique cities in the county. Actually Atlanta does have over 40 national historical districts so city isn't characterless. But this go back to my point Atlanta is more cosmopolitan there's no Buford Hwy in New Orleans.
I doubt it can compete with Atlanta, but New Orleans does have several shopping corridors where the signs are in Vietnamese or Spanish.

Quote:
This depends what people want,

Now you know Atlanta is all about the trees and nature, why the hell would Atlantans want Atlanta to be that dense? First off walkable is walkable so I don't care about boasting density, it gets to the point are where we no longer praising walkablity but density itself. Should Atlanta become a little more dense yes but that dense no and I don't care. New Orleans is denser it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. However Intown Atlanta is walkable. Atlanta develop during the garden city movement a lot neighborhoods develop during this time. One thing that does stand out it's leafy near the core you can like Inman Park, Ansley Park note for their architecture. You can have a nice house in a leafy neighborhood be down the street from a CBD or just hope MARTA if you want. You get the city and a peace of mind.
New Orleans also has multiple neighborhoods that are leafy, have nice architecture, and are conventiently located in the city.

Quote:
PS wow are we actually going talk about Atlanta's crime when being compared to New Orleans? I going to ignore the trolls
I do not know who brought up crime but Atlanta actually does have a worse crime rate.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:54 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Yes, you're right it depends on what people want. When it comes to residential highrise living options and parks I would go with Atlanta but for historic neighborhoods the French Quarter for me would be hard to beat though. As for Buford Highway I have been there twice. New Orleans tends to lean more Vietnamese than Korean. When it comes to shopping Atlanta has better malls for shopping like the Cobb Galleria (stayed at the Waverly nice hotel) up in the Vinings area along with Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza (accessible by MARTA train) in Buckhead. However, you then have Mall of Louisiana (largest one in the state) further north towards Baton Rouge which is no slouch. As for airport and skyscrapers, we all know the answer to this one.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I doubt it can compete with Atlanta, but New Orleans does have several shopping corridors where the signs are in Vietnamese or Spanish.

New Orleans also has multiple neighborhoods that are leafy, have nice architecture, and are conventiently located in the city.
And Atlanta has dense and historic areas too obviously, but you get my point.

Quote:
I do not know who brought up crime but Atlanta actually does have a worse crime rate.
Look near the bottom on the last page. This year it's actually higher but most of the last 20 years New Orleans is higher especially murders. I think it's pretty failed to talk about crime in Atlanta when being compared to New Orleans record. But that's why I said I'm going to ignore the trolls.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Look near the bottom on the last page. This year it's actually higher but most of the last 20 years New Orleans is higher especially murders. I think it's pretty failed to talk about crime in Atlanta when being compared to New Orleans record. But that's why I said I'm going to ignore the trolls.
Oh, they seemed to be talking about pan-handlers not really crimes. New Orleans does have the higher murder rate but even in the last 20 years Atlanta has had the higher violent crime and property crime rates.

You can use this site to search crime rates in cities from 1985 and on.
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/ucrdata/Sea...epTwoLarge.cfm

Old 11-19-2012, 02:16 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,829 times
I was looking at the Atlanta wikipedia page, and found this:

Where the Jobs Are: Employer Access to Labor by Transit | Brookings Institution

It's a ranking of public transit coverage by how effective transit is in getting people to work. It's further broken down into rankings by metro, city, or suburbs.

New Orleans ranks better than Atlanta in all 4 categories. I live about 2-3 miles from the city center, and I can walk to 2 transit lines (one bus, one streetcar) without having to go further than 4 blocks.

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 11-19-2012 at 02:38 AM..

Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I was looking at the Atlanta wikipedia page, and found this:

Where the Jobs Are: Employer Access to Labor by Transit | Brookings Institution

It's a ranking of public transit coverage by how effective transit is in getting people to work. It's further broken down into rankings by metro, city, or suburbs.

New Orleans ranks better than Atlanta in all 4 categories. I live about 2-3 miles from the city center, and I can walk to 2 transit lines (one bus, one streetcar) without having to go further than 4 blocks.
Because metro Atlanta is way more spread out, living in the suburbs is not like living intown or the inner suburbs.

Atlanta city was 93.8, to New Orleans city 96.4 so it's not like a big difference both cities do well. I'm also willing to bet Buckhead large expressive restate neighborhoods brought Atlanta score down.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
"Lol"- Newt Gingrich
Newt Gingrich lives in Virgina and has for at least over 6 years

Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Atlanta doesn't necessarily win with QOL, my QOL would be much higher in New Orleans.
PT-New Orleans also has streetcars.
Art galleries is probably a wash, no way Atlanta wins decisively.
Parks doesn't go to Atlanta so decisively either.
You don't have to be single to enjoy life in New Orleans, how stereotypical.

So way off on QOL and everything else you stated.It might be your opnion but its not based in fact or reality.
I love New Orleans but ask all the N.O. transplants why they left.Its not just about jobs.
Its mostly about extremely bad schools(yes even worse than Atlanta),much higher poverty rate higher disparity bewtween rich and poor, extreme racial marginalization in politics,corruption,poor city infrastructure and the list goes on on.

Atlanta's streetcar will be running next year and it already has a Subway system.N.O. streetcar is not extentensive at ALL.

In N.O. you have the French Quarter for art gallaries.In Atlanta they are in Buckhead,Castleberry Hill,and Downtown Decatur.

Parks-Atlanta wins that too.New Orleans has cemeterys for their parks.It has no answer for Piedmont,Centennial Olympic,Old Fourth Park,Grant Park,etc...

If im wrong please educate me as to how and why than saying "just because".

Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Amen. Atlanta has a lot of planned communities which are somehow counted as part of the city. I may not be familiar enough with the place, but their "downtown" seemed very run down and lacking in unique cultural amenities. I was asked for change or harrassed once every five minutes over a lunch hour in what I was told was the "good" part of downtown while eating with suit wearing colleagues on a nice day in May. The city holds no appeal for me.
You're not.
No offense but you seem to have a very limited experience in Atlanta.Its ok that you dont like it but usually if people visit a place as much as they do Atlanta,it would stand to reason that there must be enough good to make people keep coming.If it wasnt the the reputation would get out and no one would come as much as they do.Why do you think so many conventions come here each year.

No one would disagree that Atlanta does not have the charm of New Orleans but neither do Chicago,Dallas,LA or many other cities.It never will.But it has comparable neighborhoods like Inman and Candler Parks,Druid Hills,Grant Park etc...Many are more beutiful than anything New Orleans has(excluding the uniqness of the French Quarter)

There are parts of Downtown that are lacking but overall its lively.Especially the area around Centennial Park.New Orleans downtown is very similar (architecture wise)outside of the French Quarter.So that uniqueness is limited as far as visually.

What "planned cities" that are a part of the city are you referring too?Thats real news to me.Unless you are referring to Atlantic Station which is a total new part of the city that had NOTHING there other than a 100 year old steel mill that sat decaying for 30 years.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So way off on QOL and everything else you stated.It might be your opnion but its not based in fact or reality.
I love New Orleans but ask all the N.O. transplants why they left.Its not just about jobs.
Its mostly about extremely bad schools(yes even worse than Atlanta),much higher poverty rate higher disparity bewtween rich and poor, extreme racial marginalization in politics,corruption,poor city infrastructure and the list goes on on.

Atlanta's streetcar will be running next year and it already has a Subway system.N.O. streetcar is not extentensive at ALL.

In N.O. you have the French Quarter for art gallaries.In Atlanta they are in Buckhead,Castleberry Hill,and Downtown Decatur.

Parks-Atlanta wins that too.New Orleans has cemeterys for their parks.It has no answer for Piedmont,Centennial Olympic,Old Fourth Park,Grant Park,etc...

If im wrong please educate me as to how and why than saying "just because".
a.) New Orleans has the lower unempolyement rate.
b.) Even if the schools are worse, I doubt there is a big difference between them and Atlanta.
c.) The poverty rate is not much higher, only a few percentage points.
d.) A paycheck actually stretches a litle farther in New Orleans. The Cities Where A Paycheck Stretches The Furthest | Newgeography.com
e.) Atlanta would win public transportation but the New Orleans streetcar system is expanding.
f.) For art galleries New Orleans also has the Warehouse District, Magazine Street, other parts of Uptown, and many more scattered throughout.
g.) For parks New Orleans has Audubon Park, City Park, Lakefront Park, etc. It's all about people's preferences but there are great parks. Plus the cemetaries are nice too.
h.) It actually seems for some of this stuff you are just going off of stereotypes or are acting like there is a big difference between Atlanta and New Orleans when it comes to some of this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City