Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I would think New Orleans would have more old nieghborhoods with nice architecture since it is much older and was much bigger. To add on to your response to jkik15, I think it is ridiculous how some people are responding towards Atlanta when the subjects are about history, "heart", or architecture, acting as if it has none. But just look who the competition is. Atlanta of course has history and great historic architecture but it is not going to come close to beating New Orleans on these topics. New Orleans definitely does note have the density or urbanity of a San Fransico or New York City but it does have a lot more traditional urbanity than an Atlanta. You can live in New Orleans without a car and this includes areas outside of the French Quarter. Architectually the majority of the city is not the same. The shotgun house might be a popular style in a good amount of the city but there are still many neighborhoods dominated in many other styles and types of houses. Plus the fact that the shotgun can come in many different styles and types as well.
You are right.No one with half a brain would ever try to compare the amount of history of culture in N.O. to that in Atlanta.

Quote:
New Orleans definitely does note have the density or urbanity of a San Fransico or New York City but it does have a lot more traditional urbanity than an Atlanta.
Well that depends on how you define urbanity.Atlanta is definately more densely populated by a long shot.

Quote:
Atlanta of course has history and great historic architecture but it is not going to come close to beating New Orleans
I did say outside of the French Quater Atlanta has better and more varied archtecture.

Quote:
You can live in New Orleans without a car and this includes areas outside of the French Quarter
I dont have a car at the moment and I get around fine using MARTA.I live downtown.I know that Slidell is not that frar from Downtown and you have to ride a bus.No streetcars.Just bus.
In Atlanta you can get to Decatur which is about the same distance and it still does not end there.New Orleans is 320 sq mi.Atlanta is 132 sq. mi with 40 miles of mass transit.How does that even comes close to most of the residents not needing a car in N.O.?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You are right.No one with half a brain would ever try to compare the amount of history of culture in N.O. to that in Atlanta.

Well that depends on how you define urbanity.Atlanta is definately more densely populated by a long shot.

I did say outside of the French Quater Atlanta has better and more varied archtecture.

I dont have a car at the moment and I get around fine using MARTA.I live downtown.I know that Slidell is not that frar from Downtown and you have to ride a bus.No streetcars.Just bus.
In Atlanta you can get to Decatur which is about the same distance and it still does not end there.New Orleans is 320 sq mi.Atlanta is 132 sq. mi with 40 miles of mass transit.How does that even comes close to most of the residents not needing a car in N.O.?
Where did you get that #?? New Orleans is significantly smaller, you must be counting water.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:02 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,328 times
[quote=afonega1;27020589]

I did say outside of the French Quater Atlanta has better and more varied archtecture.[quote]

Actually, New Orleans is SIGNIFICANTLY more densely populated than Atlanta. The urban area (~1 million in 197 square miles, not to mention the denser urban core of NOLA with 200,000 in 20 square miles) of New Orleans is one of the densest in the country. Atlanta doesn't even come close to that by a long shot.

You mentioned NOLA parks are cemeteries? New Orleans has one of the most visited urban park in the country, City Park. Most Visited City Parks in the United States Not to mention Audubon Park, just as beautiful and full of people as City Park. The city also has MANY pocket parks and squares.

As for art galleries, the French Quarter has a lot yes. But the city's offical arts district is on Julia Street in the Warehouse District. Also, there is the more contemprary St. Claude Arts District (straddling the Bywater and Marigny) which has seen accolades from the NY Times as the newest "Williamsburg Brooklyn of the South." Magazine Street is FULL of art/interior design galleries (not to mention its a 6 mile long walkable retil corridor, something Atlanta definitely does not have at all). New Orleans is the Art Center for the South really. Atlanta is not...

As for architecture and neighborhoods, you clearly have not seen much of New Orleans if you think there is nothing outside the FQ. We have tons of dense neighborhoods with insanely beautiful archiecture all over the city. To deny that is ridiculous.

Also, you mentioned that the only place that take tranit to is clubs? This city is one of the easiest to traverse by public transit (we actually have a grid-like infrastructure). I take the bus very often in New Orleans and never have a problem walking through any neighborhood. Atlanta doesnt have a continuous walkable environment after you get off the MARTA. Also, what is so bad about buses? Buses work just as well as any other type of transit.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,654 times
Quote:
Jobs?i never mentioned jobs.YOU did.I was refering to overall economy.Atlanta GDP is around 270billion dollars compared that to New Orleans its less than $150Billion.

I think its safe to say that you know as well as I do that there is a huge wealth issue between New Orleans and Atlanta.My most measure that matter Atlanta comes out WAY ahead.You posting one measure does not show the entire picture.

Unemployment rate isin Atlanta is at 8.5%.its not bad and is getting lower.
If a Hurricane hit Atlanta there would be jobs too.It is what it is.

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, Georgia Metropolitan Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

Art galleries?Yes Atlanta by a long shot.Im talking about galleries from the low end to high end.New Orleans its very limited.Downtown Atlanta,Midtown,and buckhead all have different areas where art galleries are prominent.
http://http://www.americanstyle.com/...-big-cities-2/

Racial Marginalization in politics is what stopped New Orleans from growing for years.Dont get me wrong,Atlanta like most Southern cities have had there issues.Yet when it comes making money for the city,Atlanta has always put that first.
Its also more cronyism in N.O.The Morialfamilyto Landrieu's.N.O like Chicago is FAMOUS fpor corruption!
You actually did say "Its not just about jobs" in your second post but whatever. Atlanta does have a higher GDP but New Orleans has a significantly higher GDP per capita. The wealth margin is not "huge". Like I said New Orleans has a lower unemployement rate which is around 6.5%. Also "race marginalization" is not what stopped New Orleans from growing and is not really a problem except for the occasional politician.

rcp11889 has the rest covered. Also for your other post, Slidell is 30 miles from New Orleans and is across a lake. Also New Orleans is 180 miles of land and of that amount, more than half is undeveloped wetlands.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Quote:
Civil War History-All through Atlanta you will see markers describing the historical points of certain areas.I cannot think of ANY major city in the U.S. with as much Historical importance as Atlanta has.The Atlanta Campaign was the END of the war.
Going back further the Battle of New Orleans was the final battle during the War of 1812 with successful victory defeat of the British invasion during the revolution. It also had a role in the Civil War. The history is more than just markers. Jackson Square was named after Andrew Jackson who help saved the city from being captured by the Brits. There is a statue of him in the center of the park. Also there is a place in the Quarter known as the Napoleon House which was suppose serve as the residence of French Emperor Napoleon during his exile but of course he never made it to New Orleans.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Where did you get that #?? New Orleans is significantly smaller, you must be counting water.
I made a mistake.thanks for correcting me.I thought it was odd but I figured it was one of those Charlotte type situations where land vs population showed differently than what the actual poulation was.But N.O. by land is 180.6 according to Wika which is bigger than Atlanta at 132

Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,328 times
Quote:
I made a mistake.thanks for correcting me.I thought it was odd but I figured it was one of those Charlotte type situations where land vs population showed differently than what the actual poulation was.But N.O. by land is 180.6 according to Wika which is bigger than Atlanta at 132

That land number counts wetlands as land. The habitable area of NOLA is 80 square miles.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 PM

[quote=rcp11889;27021442][quote=afonega1;27020589]

Quote:

Actually, New Orleans is SIGNIFICANTLY more densely populated than Atlanta. The urban area (~1 million in 197 square miles, not to mention the denser urban core of NOLA with 200,000 in 20 square miles) of New Orleans is one of the densest in the country. Atlanta doesn't even come close to that by a long shot.

There are parts that are more densely populated than anywhere in Atlanta of course but overall if you measure city official borders versus the amount of people withinthose borders,Atlanta is much more dense.I could be wrong but please show where this is not true.

You mentioned NOLA parks are cemeteries? New Orleans has one of the most visited urban park in the country, City Park. Most Visited City Parks in the United States Not to mention Audubon Park, just as beautiful and full of people as City Park. The city also has MANY pocket parks and squares.

As for art galleries, the French Quarter has a lot yes. But the city's offical arts district is on Julia Street in the Warehouse District. Also, there is the more contemprary St. Claude Arts District (straddling the Bywater and Marigny) which has seen accolades from the NY Times as the newest "Williamsburg Brooklyn of the South." Magazine Street is FULL of art/interior design galleries (not to mention its a 6 mile long walkable retil corridor, something Atlanta definitely does not have at all). New Orleans is the Art Center for the South really. Atlanta is not...

Im sure you know what they say about opinions...I see accolades in both cities with art galleries.i dont pretend to act as if Im a art connosiuer but I do know enough that N.O. may be a center for art but its no more than Atlanta.Which was the statement I responded to.Whether you know it are not its not my problem.
I know of no one or hear of anyone in thses scenes going to New Orleans for the purpose of securing art pieces they can find in most major cities.If anything they leave New Orleans to go to Houston.I conscede Houston in that regards is even better than Atlanta.

I am more knowledgeable in interior design. New Orleans is known for more traditional based designs and and in antiques it cannot be beat. Atlanta has more high end modern collections.Atlanta is much more varied in this genere.Why do you think stores like Ligne Roset,Roche-Bobois,etc...are in Atlanta.So many other of stores like those cannot be found even in Miami.

As for architecture and neighborhoods, you clearly have not seen much of New Orleans if you think there is nothing outside the FQ. We have tons of dense neighborhoods with insanely beautiful archiecture all over the city. To deny that is ridiculous.
I never said such a thing.Please repost where i said :"there is nothing outside the french quarter".I said that the architecture is not as varied as it is in Atlanta.Meaning that outside of the French Quarter,you have many of the same styles found in Atlanta.Particularlly Civil War period and after.
You cannot tell me New Orleans has much modern architecture scene as Atlanta has.Its no contest.Atlant wins hands down.

Also, you mentioned that the only place that take tranit to is clubs? This city is one of the easiest to traverse by public transit (we actually have a grid-like infrastructure). I take the bus very often in New Orleans and never have a problem walking through any neighborhood. Atlanta doesnt have a continuous walkable environment after you get off the MARTA. Also, what is so bad about buses? Buses work just as well as any other type of transit.
Ok i was joking.It was not to be so serious.But you know Im right about about the streetcars being very limited.
Quote:
Atlanta doesnt have a continuous walkable environment after you get off the MARTA.

I keep hearing this and its complete B.S.I live downtown ATL and I can (but I admit I dont)walk to the Westend,Aquarium,Georgia State,Sweet Auburn and even Grant Park its all atleast within a 1-2mile radius.I dont because Im lazy and Atlanta is full of many hills.MARTA makes it very easy to get around.Most people are not walking 6miles to get somewhere.
I get it it.You love your city.N.O.is an easy city to love but you cannot tell me having Marta does not provide better access to the entire city and further than what iw offered in New Orleans.Especially if you can get off at one side of a city and be in another part without driving in 20min or less.

I have been to Orleans many times.Mainly because my best friend is from there and I always ride with him.I love the city but I could never live there unless a lot of stuff I like changes.Forturnately it seems to be moving in the right way.Who knows I may move there if it continues to improve.But now?...No way.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,654 times
^^^^^^^^^
Well, New Orleans is denser when you take into account that only 80 miles of the city is inhabited but by official numbers it is not as dense. Also density really does not mean much. Architecture and walkability is something that Atlanta is definitely not going to beat New Orleans in. The architecture outside the French Quarter has a lot of variety and I highly doubt that most of it resembles Atlanta. Atlanta probably would win for modern architecture but I would bet most people would rather the older architecture of New Orleans.

Also I would sure hope that the downtown area where you live in Atlanta is walkable (Downtowns are supposed to be walkable in just about every city). But as a whole I doubt Atlanta can match New Orleans in terms of walkability. I also see that you are maybe starting to understand that you underestimated/were not fully knowledgeable of New Orleans' art galleries since it seems that you gave the city at least a little more credit.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 11-19-2012 at 11:42 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
So way off on QOL and everything else you stated.It might be your opnion but its not based in fact or reality.
I love New Orleans but ask all the N.O. transplants why they left.Its not just about jobs.
Its mostly about extremely bad schools(yes even worse than Atlanta),much higher poverty rate higher disparity bewtween rich and poor, extreme racial marginalization in politics,corruption,poor city infrastructure and the list goes on on.

Atlanta's streetcar will be running next year and it already has a Subway system.N.O. streetcar is not extentensive at ALL.

In N.O. you have the French Quarter for art gallaries.In Atlanta they are in Buckhead,Castleberry Hill,and Downtown Decatur.

Parks-Atlanta wins that too.New Orleans has cemeterys for their parks.It has no answer for Piedmont,Centennial Olympic,Old Fourth Park,Grant Park,etc...

If im wrong please educate me as to how and why than saying "just because".
QOL is based on opinion. You can't judge the quality of a persons life based on facts and figures. I'd be happier walking the streets of NO than in the car on 285.

It's not about jobs? Google is your friend. NO wasn't the fastest growing city last year just because of Mardi Gras and Bourbon St.

Currently, Atlanta is a nudge ahead of NO in PT. Only because of volume.

Just the French Quarter? Ever heard of Magazine or Julia Streets? I didn't think so.

Wow. City Park, Audobon Park, Woldenburn Park, Louis Armstrong Park, Champions Square.

By the way, it's spelled "cemeteries".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City