Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:30 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times

Advertisements

Superdome

-------------------------------
Georgia Dome
http://image42.webshots.com/42/1/62/54/348116254jXYePy_ph.jpg (broken link)
http://www.powernewsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/800px-GeorgiaDome_md.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-17-2010, 02:32 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Met some really fun NOLA boys at the big gay dance club here in Savannah tonight. Said they've been living here for 3 years, used to live in Elysian Fields, left the city after Katrina. Said the transition from NOLA to SAV was pretty painless -- Savannah being a smaller, nicer, cleaner, safer version of NOLA and all.

When we parted ways, they headed one way, I the other -- all of us with cocktails in hand, Savannah being one of the few cities in the country, along with NOLA, where you can walk down the street with such things legally.

When you pull back the layers, NOLA isn't as "special" or "unique" as Westbank and other make it out to be.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:18 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Huh?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Peachtree Street Atlanta

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
When you pull back the layers, NOLA isn't as "special" or "unique" as Westbank and other make it out to be.
I'm afraid that I have to side with Westbank on this one. To say such such a thing is to grossly oversimplify the comparison. Closer scrutiny would reveal NOLA to indeed be unique both in its' architectural style and it's distinct Creole culture. To me, 'delayering' the comparison would even make this more apparent.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
....continued.

New Orleans Arena
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/ATL_Aficionado/NOarena.jpg (broken link)

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc434/ATL_Aficionado/NOarena2.jpg (broken link)

Phillips Arena

Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,020,368 times
You can't really compare the two cities based on which has "more". I don't think they are enough alike. On one hand Atlanta is modern and booming while New Orleans has alot of history and soul and old city ways. That something you just don't decide to build from scratch.

Some people are going to like a new house while others will like an old one in a not so nice neighborhood. This is the comparison you have going here.
Both have their good points and bad.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,943 times
Default On music and nightlife...

Just two quick things about this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
When it the last time DeadMouse

ATL Nightlife's Photos - Deadmau5 - Tabernacle | Friday | 10.01.10 | Facebook

Played in your city?
Deadmau5 played live at Club Ampersand a few months back while Jazz fest was going on, I was there. He's also going to be performing at the upcoming Voodoo Fest. (& and Club 360 have been host to a lot of other "famous" DJs. I saw Tiesto at & not too long ago.)

Furthermore, I don't really see how a city which has a law that forces it's bars close their doors at a certain time at night (Atlanta) can have a better nightlife than a city where bars stay open 24 hours; day and night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
How often does the top djs in the world come to your city?

Armin Van Burren

ATL Nightlife's Photos - Opera - Armin Van Buuren - Part TWO | Friday | 09.03.10 | Facebook

how many indie or metal bands have came out of NOLA compared to ATL or Athens (which is only up the road).
Actually, Voodoo Fest is coming up and a few of the DJs performing will be Paul van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren, Deadmau5, Paul Oakenfold. I'm planning on being there, too. Jealous?

A bunch of bands will be performing as well; Ozzy will be there, Muse, Weezer, etc... Last year Kiss and Eminem headlined, so it's quite a bag of tricks. With Jazz Fest, Voodoo Fest and the numerous other musical festivals we have here, how can you even say that Atlanta would rank better for music?

The only music festival I've known Atlanta to have was Music Midtown, but it's not even around anymore. Probably for the best, it wasn't very good, anyway and had sloppy organization. I'm not sure if they still do the On The Bricks series at Olympic Park or anything like that anymore, but that was nothing compared to the stuff in New Orleans.

Altogether, having lived in both places, I much prefer New Orleans, mainly because it's just a fun city to live in. Granted, Atlanta is better in some respects (education, transportation, shopping), but you just can't beat the culture, music or nightlife of New Orleans. What happens after the Peachtree Roadrace 10k in Atlanta? Nothing special, you get your water and go home. What happens after the Crescent City Classic 10k in New Orleans? Live music, free beer and all the red beans and rice you can eat.

-I rest my case...

Last edited by we.kjgsnmj; 10-23-2010 at 12:29 AM.. Reason: URL tags being derp...

Old 10-23-2010, 11:06 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
New Orleans

Old 10-24-2010, 03:18 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by we.kjgsnmj View Post
Just two quick things about this...

Deadmau5 played live at Club Ampersand a few months back while Jazz fest was going on, I was there. He's also going to be performing at the upcoming Voodoo Fest. (& and Club 360 have been host to a lot of other "famous" DJs. I saw Tiesto at & not too long ago.)

Furthermore, I don't really see how a city which has a law that forces it's bars close their doors at a certain time at night (Atlanta) can have a better nightlife than a city where bars stay open 24 hours; day and night.

Actually, Voodoo Fest is coming up and a few of the DJs performing will be Paul van Dyk, Armin Van Buuren, Deadmau5, Paul Oakenfold. I'm planning on being there, too. Jealous?

A bunch of bands will be performing as well; Ozzy will be there, Muse, Weezer, etc... Last year Kiss and Eminem headlined, so it's quite a bag of tricks. With Jazz Fest, Voodoo Fest and the numerous other musical festivals we have here, how can you even say that Atlanta would rank better for music?

The only music festival I've known Atlanta to have was Music Midtown, but it's not even around anymore. Probably for the best, it wasn't very good, anyway and had sloppy organization. I'm not sure if they still do the On The Bricks series at Olympic Park or anything like that anymore, but that was nothing compared to the stuff in New Orleans.

Altogether, having lived in both places, I much prefer New Orleans, mainly because it's just a fun city to live in. Granted, Atlanta is better in some respects (education, transportation, shopping), but you just can't beat the culture, music or nightlife of New Orleans. What happens after the Peachtree Roadrace 10k in Atlanta? Nothing special, you get your water and go home. What happens after the Crescent City Classic 10k in New Orleans? Live music, free beer and all the red beans and rice you can eat.

-I rest my case...

I think he is referring to Things outside of festivals, New Orleans has a great bar hopping scene. Atlanta has the better Club and lounge scene.
New Orleans has Jazz music on lock while Atlanta has R&B on lock. It doesnt take a festival or huge event to bring out the top performing Djs and artist to the Atlanta area this is a music industry town.. The only thing I see Atlanta has is wine down wednesday where they play live Jazz and raggae music in downtown Atlanta at Oylmpic park thats the only time I have seen them allow people to drink in a open area. There are all kinds of music around Atlanta thats why its always on the radar when it comes to music industry.. New Orleans shows there musical side thru festivals. Atlanta shows theres thru Awards shows, record labels and billboard charts. Both have history in the music world, both are about equal when it comes to that..

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 10-24-2010 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City