Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:32 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Does NO have this??? A big "NO"
If it ever got cold enough for the trees to change colors and die, it would have an equivalent to all of that, even the view from Stone Mountain.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If it ever got cold enough for the trees to change colors and die, it would have an equivalent to all of that, even the view from Stone Mountain.

What???? You are below sea level....

Old 10-14-2010, 08:59 AM

442 posts, read 828,034 times
Quote:
That maybe true, Atlanta is definitely ahead of New Orleans in terms of shopping. I don't know if Atlanta rivals Los Angeles, Miami, and New York though.
It does. Especially Miami but it is not beating LA or New York, as most places in the world can't do that.

Quote:

I don't know where you can find a "high class" restaurant per capita count, but don't think New Orleans is limited to local food by a long shot.
[/quote]

Never said it was.

Quote:
Elaborate on this for me....
I have to elaborate on why partying is not the end all be all of "quality of life"?

Quote:
A couple of months back.
At and expensive festival. Club Opera for example constantly has top world DJ spinning weekly.Opera Nightclub | Facebook

Quote:
New Orleans art galleries are not supported by tourists, but there are plenty of them.
Never said there weren't.

Quote:
New Orleans has the "6th-largest and 7th-most-visited urban public park in the United States". How visually stunning parks are is subjective, but the major parks in N.O. are not slacking, trust me.
Never said they were. Atlanta is on Forbes list also.

Quote:
Do you have any idea how many artists and events come to this city in a year?
It aint more than ATL. I can tell you that.

Quote:
I'm not into metal so I couldn't even start to answer this, but that's one genre. New Orleans has created Bounce, Brassband, Jazz, etc. Down the road you have Zydeco and NuStep and some more stuff.

Here's what the Wiki article says.
"Additionally, the wave of popularity of cowpunk, a fast form of southern rock, originated with the help of several local bands, such as The Radiators, Better Than Ezra, Cowboy Mouth, and Dash Rip Rock. Throughout the 1990s, many sludge metal bands started in the area. New Orleans' heavy metal bands like Eyehategod,[74] Soilent Green,[75] Crowbar,[76] and Down[77] have incorporated styles such as hardcore punk, doom metal, and southern rock to create an original and heady brew of swampy and aggravated metal that has largely avoided standardization.[74][75][76][77]"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.[/quote]

Jazz and Zydeco is not going to outdo ATL in the music scene.

Atlanta Recording Artists

[edit]Pop, Rock, and Metal
Atlanta has also produced rock and pop music singers, such as The Black Crowes, The Changelings, alternative metal band Sevendust, sludge metal band Mastodon, ska/punk band Treephort, comedy-core pioneers Attractive Eighties Women, Maserati, post-rock band Light Pupil Dilate, dream-pop band Seely, rock bands Uncle Green (a.k.a 3 Lb. Thrill), Injected, City Sleeps, Collective Soul and Third Day, the folk-pop Indigo Girls, Butch Walker, and was a proving ground for Connecticut-born pop-rock-blues musician John Mayer.[citation needed]
Atlanta has also had a thriving indie-rock scene since the early 80's. Notable bands and artists over the years have included The Now Explosion, Mr. Crowes Garden, Dirt, The Opal Foxx Quartet, The Jody Grind, The Whigs, Cartel, Norma Jean, Smoke, Black Lips, Flap, The Subsonics, The Rockerz, Toenut, Man Or Astroman, The Rock*A*Teens, Pineal Ventana, Ultrababyfat, nerdkween, Atlas Sound, Almighty Defenders, The Gaye Blades, The Tom Collins, Magnapop, The Orphins, Bobby Ubangi, The Coathangers, Brass Castle, The Liverhearts, Elevado, Jackyl, Deerhunter, Family Force 5, The Selmanaires and Kaki King. Other groups prominent in Atlanta included Guadalcanal Diary, Love Tractor, Swimming Pool Q's, Dream So Real, Arms Akimbo and Incarceri 9.
In the early 1980s, Atlanta was the home of a thriving new wave music scene featuring such bands as The Brains and The Producers. Justin Bieber recently moved to Atlanta to start his music career and now lives there.

Popular music artists from Atlanta, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlanta has a thriving music industry and has produced many rock and pop music singers, such as The Black Crowes, alternative metal band Sevendust, sludge metal band Mastodon, ska/punk band Treephort, rock bands Swimming Pool Q's, Uncle Green (a.k.a 3 Lb. Thrill), Light Pupil Dilate, Big Fish Ensemble, Collective Soul and Third Day, the folk-pop Indigo Girls, Butch Walker, and was a proving ground for Connecticut-born pop-rock-blues musician John Mayer. Mayer, as well as India.Arie and Shawn Mullins, all performed pre-fame at Eddie's Attic, an independent club in the intown suburb of Decatur. The "Open Mic Shootout" at Eddie's Attic consistently draws singer-songwriter talent from across the nation, and is held every Monday night. Electronic jam-groove band Sound Tribe Sector 9 is also from Atlanta.
The city has a well-known and active live music scene. In the early 1980s, Atlanta was the home of a thriving new wave music scene featuring such bands as The Brains and The Producers, closely linked to the new wave scenes in Athens, Georgia and other college towns in the southeast. Historically there have been a variety of live music traditions going back to Cabbagetown country music pioneer Fiddlin' John Carson, also including a thriving scene in the 90's, also in Cabbagetown, centered on a bar called Dotties, now known as Lenny's and relocated a few blocks away. Video Concert Hall, precursor to MTV, was founded in Atlanta. Atlanta hosts several annual events that include live music: the Jazz Festival, Music Midtown, the Montreux Festival, Out on Film gay film festival, Gay Pride Festival, On the Bricks, the Dogwood Festival, and the National Black Arts Festival, just to name a few.
Atlanta is home to many famous hip-hop and R&B musicians. Arrested Development (group) the two time Grammy Award Winning group with the 1993 hit singles Tennessee, Mr. Wendal & People Everyday, Jermaine Dupri's 2001 hip hop single "Welcome to Atlanta" (feat. Ludacris) declares Atlanta the "new Motown", referencing the city of Detroit, Michigan, which was known for its contributions to popular music. The Dirty South style of hip-hop emerged in part from Atlanta artists such as Outkast and Goodie Mob. More recently, rapper/producer Lil Jon has been a driving force behind the party-oriented style known as crunk.
Record Producers L.A. Reid and Babyface founded LaFace Records in Atlanta in the late-1980s; the label has eventually become the home to multi-platinum selling artists such as Toni Braxton, TLC, OutKast, Goodie Mob, Monica, Usher and Ciara, many of whom are Atlantans themselves. It is also the home of So So Def Records, a label founded by Jermaine Dupri in the mid-1990s, that signed acts such as Da Brat, Jagged Edge, Xscape and Dem Franchise Boyz. The success of LaFace and SoSo Def led to Atlanta as an established scene for record labels such as LaFace parent company Arista Records to set up satellite offices. Atlanta is also home to multi-platinum rappers Ludacris and T.I., among others. Artists such as Keyshia Cole, Bow Wow, B5, Phife Dawg, T-Pain, and Brian Littrell of the Backstreet Boys, and Elton John have moved to the city and made it their home. Atlanta is also a well known place for producers and artists trying to get into the music business.

The High Museum of Art, a division of the Woodruff Arts Center in Midtown Atlanta.
Atlanta's classical music scene includes well-renowned ensembles such as the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Opera, Atlanta Ballet, period-instrument ensemble New Trinity Baroque, Atlanta Boy Choir, and many others. Classical musicians include renowned conductors such as the late Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony's Robert Spano.
Atlanta is home to over 100 theater, dance, and film arts companies. Actor's Express, Dad's Garage, Screen on the Green, Atlanta Dance Theater, Lionheart Theater Company, Atlanta Film Festival 365, the Ballethnic Dance Company, the Center for Puppetry Arts, IKAM Productions, PushPush Theater Company, the Atlanta Jewish Film Festival and many others offer a wide variety of entertainment options. There are dozens of world-class theaters and venues, including the Fox Theater, Rialto Theater, Atlanta Civic Center, the Tabernacle, Alliance Theater, 7 Stages, 14th Street Playhouse, the Ferst Center for the Arts, Chastain Amphitheater, Variety Playhouse, Callanwolde, the Shakespeare Tavern, etc.
Corndogorama is a yearly music festival, founded in 1996 by Dave Railey, which features performances from local bands including Indie rock, Hip hop, Metal, and Electronic groups.[2]
[edit]Sports

Culture of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sk8t; 10-14-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
What???? You are below sea level....
New Orleans' average elevation is -3 ft below sea level. The major bridges in the city are about 170 ft above sea level on average. Driving in from at least 2 directions you get a view of the entire area (Southshore).

Old 10-14-2010, 11:21 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Atlanta by a million miles. I can't believe this comparison is still going on. New Orleans is what it is, but it ain't nowhere close to being what Atlanta is.

ATLANTA METRO: 5.5 million and growing
NEW ORLEANS METRO: 1.2 million and stagnant

ATLANTA SKYLNE: 5th tallest in the U.S., 16th tallest in the world
NEW ORLEANS SKYLINE: Tallest in Louisiana, maybe?

ATLANTA MARTA: 5th longest subway system in the U.S., 7th in daily ridership
NEW ORLEANS STREETCAR: Quaint tourist attraction

FALCONS 27
SAINTS 24

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-14-2010 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
Quote:
New Orleans, transit is more extensive if I'm not mistaken and the metro (Southshore) as coverage all throughout the suburbs. Atlanta wins because it has the heavy rail. That's it.
I don't know where you are getting this because I thoroughly checked out all the RTA and Jefferson Transit routes and schedules.

I frequently use MARTA as well as much of my family. I have had to rely on public transportation to get around when I was without a car as a college student living in Columbus, Ohio as well as during visits and stays in Detroit, Denver, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, New York, New Jersey and I can honestly say if I had to live somewhere without a car outside the NorthEastern cities and Chicago and maybe the bay area I don't think anywhere could be more convienient than Atlanta.

Here's just an example of why I think it is better than New Orleans. I looked at the suburb of Metarie(spl) after you promoted it for being such a dense built suburb (it is). The majority of the area is loosely reached by Jefferson Transit. The area of which you grabed a picture Google Maps was 1.2 miles from the nearest Jefferson Transit bus station then it was like a 20 minute ride from there to the RTA station at cemeteries at which you would have to transfer to the Canal Street Car to ride into town. According to RTA it's about a 20 minute ride on the Street Car to the main Downtown transfer Station. All of this is after you would have had to take a 1.2 mile bike ride to the bus stop to begin or atleast about a half mile walk if the bus is willing to stop for you on Veterans away from that stop.

Now you showed a picture of a tree lined quite looking neighborhood in Atlanta as a comparison Google Maps. That picture was about the same distance from Downtown as the picture you showed of Metarie. Turns out the street you showed had frequent bus service to a subway station only 3/4 mile away in Decatur. Someone could just stand there board a bus and be at Decatur station in 10 minutes after which they could simply board a train (they like the street cars arrive every 10 minutes on weekdays) and be at Five Points Station the main transfer station in the heart of Downtown in 13 minutes. Now if someone on that street moved 3/4 mile up the road to one of the many apartments and townhomes on or near Decatur Square they would have a short leisurely walk (perhaps stoping at a cafe on the square for coffee) to the Station to board the train that could have them Downtown in 13 minutes and many other places quickly.

You even posted a picture of this area in an attempt to show how undeveloped Atlanta suburbs can be (which was totally unfair because the area is where an aiport landing strip and huge industrial park come together ) Google Maps. But you still prooved my point. The street has a busy bus line running on it and it's only a 14 minute ride to Hamilton Holmes Subway Station. From there it's only a 9 minute ride on the train to Downtown 5 points station,. (the West Side train is really fast). You would have a hard time going that far that fast using public transit anywhere that far out in New Orleans.

Many people on CD who probably don't even use public transit ofter poo poo off Atlanta having rapid heavy rail like it's no big deal (including some Atlantans in the suburbs who don't use it) But to people like myself who are veteran public transit users it's a great great joy to have. When I see a subway station that means I am going to get where I'm going way waaay faster than if I had to take a bus and a little to a lot faster than if I had to take light rail or Street Car. That is the main reason Atlanta's ridership is so high. It really makes a big difference and it gets you to a lot of destinations.

I have an Aunt that lives in S.W. who doesn't even drive less long own a car. She has a bus that runs to her front door and takes her to Westlake MARTA station. The other weekend I know she used it to attend a college football game and parade Downtown. She went to a concert at the Symphony Hall that same weekend but since it was raining had a friend drive her because she didn't want to make the very short walk from Arts Center Station to the Symphony building in the rain.

Not Only are New Orleans Street Cars slower and don't travel as long a distance but the number of bus lines connecting you to the trolley are far fewer than the number of lines connecting you to subway staions in Atlanta.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-14-2010 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Atlanta by a million miles. I can't believe this comparison is still going on. New Orleans is what it is, but it ain't nowhere close to being what Atlanta is.

ATLANTA METRO: 5.5 million and growing
NEW ORLEANS METRO: 1.2 million and stagnant

ATLANTA SKYLNE: 5th tallest in the U.S., 16th tallest in the world
NEW ORLEANS SKYLINE: Tallest in Louisiana, maybe?

ATLANTA MARTA: 5th longest subway system in the U.S., 7th in daily ridership
NEW ORLEANS STREETCAR: Quaint tourist attraction

FALCONS 27
SAINTS 24

BINGO.................

Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I don't know where you are getting this because I thoroughly checked out all the RTA and Jefferson Transit routes and schedules.

I frequently use MARTA as well as much of my family. I have had to rely on public transportation to get around when I was without a car as a college student living in Columbus, Ohio as well as during visits and stays in Detroit, Denver, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, New York, New Jersey and I can honestly say if I had to live somewhere without a car outside the NorthEastern cities and Chicago and maybe the bay area I don't think anywhere could be more convienient than Atlanta.

Here's just an example of why I think it is better than New Orleans. I looked at the suburb of Metarie(spl) after you promoted it for being such a dense built suburb (it is). The majority of the area is loosely reached by Jefferson Transit. The area of which you grabed a picture Google Maps was 1.2 miles from the nearest Jefferson Transit bus station then it was like a 20 minute ride from there to the RTA station at cemeteries at which you would have to transfer to the Canal Street Car to ride into town. According to RTA it's about a 20 minute ride on the Street Car to the main Downtown transfer Station. All of this is after you would have had to take a 1.2 mile bike ride to the bus stop to begin or atleast about a half mile walk if the bus is willing to stop for you on Veterans away from that stop.

Now you showed a picture of a tree lined quite looking neighborhood in Atlanta as a comparison Google Maps. That picture was about the same distance from Downtown as the picture you showed of Metarie. Turns out the street you showed had frequent bus service to a subway station only 3/4 mile away in Decatur. Someone could just stand there board a bus and be at Decatur station in 10 minutes after which they could simply board a train (they like the street cars arrive every 10 minutes on weekdays) and be at Five Points Station the main transfer station in the heart of Downtown in 13 minutes. Now if someone on that street moved 3/4 mile up the road to one of the many apartments and townhomes on or near Decatur Square they would have a short leisurely walk (perhaps stoping at a cafe on the square for coffee) to the Station to board the train that could have them Downtown in 13 minutes and many other places quickly.

You even posted a picture of this area in an attempt to show how undeveloped Atlanta suburbs can be (which was totally unfair because the area is where an aiport landing strip and huge industrial park come together ) Google Maps. But you still prooved my point. The street has a busy bus line running on it and it's only a 14 minute ride to Hamilton Holmes Subway Station. From there it's only a 9 minute ride on the train to Downtown 5 points station,. (the West Side train is really fast). You would have a hard time going that far that fast using public transit anywhere that far out in New Orleans.

Many people on CD who probably don't even use public transit ofter poo poo off Atlanta having rapid heavy rail like it's no big deal (including some Atlantans in the suburbs who don't use it) But to people like myself who are veteran public transit users it's a great great joy to have. When I see a subway station that means I am going to get where I'm going way waaay faster than if I had to take a bus and a little to a lot faster than if I had to take light rail or Street Car. That is the main reason Atlanta's ridership is so high. It really makes a big difference and it gets you to a lot of destinations.

I have an Aunt that lives in S.W. who doesn't even drive less long own a car. She has a bus that runs to her front door and takes her to Westlake MARTA station. The other weekend I know she used it to attend a college football game and parade Downtown. She went to a concert at the Symphony Hall that same weekend but since it was raining had a friend drive her because she didn't want to make the very short walk from Arts Center Station to the Symphony building in the rain.

Not Only are New Orleans Street Cars slower and don't travel as long a distance but the number of bus lines connecting you to the trolley are far fewer than the number of lines connecting you to subway staions in Atlanta.
Wow! Very informative post...thanks.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 PM

937 posts, read 927,133 times
Culture - New Orleans
Shopping - Atlanta
Restaurants - Atlanta (I'm allergic to fish)
Economy - Atlanta
Quality of Life - Hmm...
Housing costs - Atlanta
Public Transportation - Atlanta: MARTA
Nightlife - New Orleans, but Atlanta is close.
Art galleries - Toss-Up
Weather - Atlanta
Parks - Atlanta. Many more parks in proximity
Music scene - NO
Education - Atlanta thanks to GTech and UGA... Oh, also Emory.
Lifestyle - Atlanta. An odd blend of suburban living, yet has the big city feel in its core.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

Here's just an example of why I think it is better than New Orleans. I looked at the suburb of Metarie(spl) after you promoted it for being such a dense built suburb (it is). The majority of the area is loosely reached by Jefferson Transit. The area of which you grabed a picture Google Maps was 1.2 miles from the nearest Jefferson Transit bus station then it was like a 20 minute ride from there to the RTA station at cemeteries at which you would have to transfer to the Canal Street Car to ride into town.
You had to have just picked the longest route from that area.
There are two routes about a half a mile in either direction from that area. The E5 Causeway to the east and the E8 Clearview to the west. It takes around five to ten minutes to get from Causeway to City Park Av/Canal St (where the cemeteries are) depending on traffic, I've done it. The actual schedule puts it at like 15. The only times it will get to 15+ minutes is during peak times.

Oh, I never said it was "such a dense area". I informed Newsboy that there was no entire suburb as dense in Atlanta that I knew of.

Quote:
According to RTA it's about a 20 minute ride on the Street Car to the main Downtown transfer Station. All of this is after you would have had to take a 1.2 mile bike ride to the bus stop to begin or atleast about a half mile walk if the bus is willing to stop for you on Veterans away from that stop.
The ride on the Streetcar maybe 15-20 mintutes. That puts the total trip in real-time at about 35-40 minutes. In perfect conditions that's around a 15 minute trip by car. During the day you're looking at 20-30 minutes. Peak time you're looking at 1-2 hours where by bus it's around 45+ minutes.

Now you showed a picture of a tree lined quite looking neighborhood in Atlanta as a comparison Google Maps. That picture was about the same distance from Downtown as the picture you showed of Metarie. Turns out the street you showed had frequent bus service to a subway station only 3/4 mile away in Decatur. Someone could just stand there board a bus and be at Decatur station in 10 minutes after which they could simply board a train (they like the street cars arrive every 10 minutes on weekdays) and be at Five Points Station the main transfer station in the heart of Downtown in 13 minutes. Now if someone on that street moved 3/4 mile up the road to one of the many apartments and townhomes on or near Decatur Square they would have a short leisurely walk (perhaps stoping at a cafe on the square for coffee) to the Station to board the train that could have them Downtown in 13 minutes and many other places quickly.[/quote]

Ok we're looking at 7 miles in roughly 23 minutes on MARTA and 10 miles in roughly 35 minutes on JeT/RTA. In that case MARTA is quicker by 10 minutes.

Mind you, that you're comparing a straight line route on one system to a complicated route that is nowhere near straight to and requires using two systems in a neighboring Parish. Why don't you compare 7 straight miles on MARTA to 7 straight miles on RTA. At least you're not trying to compare Buckhead to a field in Kentucky this time in order to prove how dense it is.

[quote]
You even posted a picture of this area in an attempt to show how undeveloped Atlanta suburbs can be (which was totally unfair because the area is where an aiport landing strip and huge industrial park come together ) Google Maps.

O..K.. and here's a full scale airport in suburban New Orleans. Neyrey Dr to Canal St - Google Maps
There's actually 3 elevated freeway connectors and plenty of development at the foot of the runway

Quote:
But you still prooved my point. The street has a busy bus line running on it and it's only a 14 minute ride to Hamilton Holmes Subway Station. From there it's only a 9 minute ride on the train to Downtown 5 points station,. (the West Side train is really fast). You would have a hard time going that far that fast using public transit anywhere that far out in New Orleans.
...Based on? What? How long do you think it would take to go 7 miles west on an RTA bus, especially since the streets here are rather straight. Going East it would be a piece of cake.

Quote:
I know pains and joys of public transit. Took two to three RTA buses to get to school when I was in High School. One bus and a streetcar during college. I've ridden transit from one end of this metro to other, across the river and back.

Quote:
The streetcars aren't the fastest, that's the advantage of heavy rail. Nearly every bus line in this city connects with a street car on the other hand. Still when you look at the big picture, compare the coverage of RTA, JeT, and SBRT, the Ferries, and whatever the transit is in St. Tammany Parish over New Orleans metro, to the coverage of transit in Atlanta. Whether or not they use it, 1 million people out 1.2 million have decent access to transit. half of the remaining 200,000 have limited access. You can actually ride the bus from New Orleans to Baton Rouge (80 miles) for a $5 fare. (Mid range plans call for this to be replaces by rail.)

Atlanta has buses and heavy rail. New Orleans has buses, light rail, and ferries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City