Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:07 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Extensive street car network?

There are only 3 street car routes in all of New Orleans. MARTA has a subway. Guess which one has 25 times the daily ridership?

yeah I lol'd when I saw that one as well. 3 street car routes that really have more of a nostalgic purpose than actually moving and transporting people around in comparision to a subway with over a quarter of a million daily ridership.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:09 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
LOL..... thats why the 350.2 sq. miles is broken down to include land and water.

Like I said before of that 350.2 sq. miles, 180.6 is land and the other 169.6 is water. Either figure is larger than the 136 or something like that sq. miles that Atlanta has. So unless you have something that can dispute the US Census then it appears that this story is indeed over
Water doesn't include the entire swamp kid, since swamp is composed of soil as well. try again.
All you have to do is look at a map. Google, Bing, Rand McNally, MapQuest, Wal-Mart, etc....

Old 06-09-2010, 02:11 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Canal-Cemetaries
St. Charles
N. Carrollton
Riverfront

lol, that's 4 with 3 coming. Atlanta still wins that.
Streets, highways, and buses, we win.
Ah, I hadn't heard about the fourth. That's a positive move in the right direction.

Highways, buses, nah.

MARTA has 110 bus routes to RTAs 35.

Highways, this one that Atlanta unfortunately wins. We've got bigger ones, with some even being 16 laners.

Streets...I assume you say that because of the gridded layout of New Orleans' streets as opposed to the City of Atlanta's "Eh, a street can go here, ooh, there goes a grid". I'll admit, our streets are windy and only make sense after careful study, but they are in way better condition than most of the streets I've seen in NOLA. Eh, I'll let you have the streets.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ah, I hadn't heard about the fourth. That's a positive move in the right direction.

Highways, buses, nah.

MARTA has 110 bus routes to RTAs 35.

Highways, this one that Atlanta unfortunately wins. We've got bigger ones, with some even being 16 laners.

Streets...I assume you say that because of the gridded layout of New Orleans' streets as opposed to the City of Atlanta's "Eh, a street can go here, ooh, there goes a grid". I'll admit, our streets are windy and only make sense after careful study, but they are in way better condition than most of the streets I've seen in NOLA. Eh, I'll let you have the streets.
NOLA's highways and streets are designed so that travel isn't limited to a few main routes. The fact that surface transportation is so poor is the reason yall have 16 lane freeways. Not to mention ATL's freeway layout is ineffective. If 420 was built and 675 completed it would be a different story. I hear there are plans to finish 675 in a tunnel to 400 though.
Plus RTA is connected to the transit authorities in the suburban parishes and ridership is per capita higher I believe.

The 4th line has been around just as long as the others.

BTW, NOLA is going through a citywide street reconstruction project so that isn't the case like it was. I'll will admit that they were rough.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Water doesn't include the entire swamp kid, since swamp is composed of soil as well. try again.
All you have to do is look at a map. Google, Bing, Rand McNally, MapQuest, Wal-Mart, etc....

So since I posted the sq. miles for the actual city of New Orleans, where are the swamps in the actual city of New Orleans. Because from my experiences down there, the city itself looks quite urbanized with out allot of empty green space. Perhaps I missed something? lol

So once again, where are the swamps in New Orleans??? Not St Brenard, not Jefferson, not Plaquemine, but the actual city itself.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
So since I posted the sq. miles for the actual city of New Orleans, where are the swamps in the actual city of New Orleans. Because from my experiences down there, the city itself looks quite urbanized with out allot of empty green space. Perhaps I missed something? lol

So once again, where are the swamps in New Orleans??? Not St Brenard, not Jefferson, not Plaquemine, but the actual city itself.
ummmm ike everything from I-510 to Slidell starting from the lake down to St. Bernard Parish. Then there's a section on the Westbank from the Intracoastal Waterway to Plaquemines Parish. Then we have Lake Borgne, The Rigolets, etc.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
NOLA's highways and streets are designed so that travel isn't limited to a few main routes. The fact that surface transportation is so poor is the reason yall have 16 lane freeways. Not to mention ATL's freeway layout is ineffective. If 420 was built and 675 completed it would be a different story. I hear there are plans to finish 675 in a tunnel to 400 though.
Plus RTA is connected to the transit authorities in the suburban parishes and ridership is per capita higher I believe.

The 4th line has been around just as long as the others.

BTW, NOLA is going through a citywide street reconstruction project so that isn't the case like it was. I'll will admit that they were rough.

@ bolded..whats your point? If the northern arc were built, if 385 were ever built, sh*t if MARTA had more stops and actually had rail lines that extended into the burbs it would be a different story. So whats your point?

And lol @ ineffective, yeah Atlanta's layout is about as ineffective as New Orleans being built on land that cant even support its own weight...

Old 06-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
@ bolded..whats your point? If the northern arc were built, if 385 were ever built, sh*t if MARTA had more stops and actually had rail lines that extended into the burbs it would be a different story. So whats your point?

And lol @ ineffective, yeah Atlanta's layout is about as ineffective as New Orleans being built on land that cant even support its own weight...
420 and 675 would have made it a lot easier to get around Atlanta, not the Northern ARC, but the original 420.
MY POINT was comparing the two systems with waronxmas. What's yours? If it was effective you wouldn't need 16 lanes in middle of nowhere and the 2 main highways wouldn't share the same road bed through the center of the city. . If it was effective the transportation bill wouldn't be an issue.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
ummmm ike everything from I-510 to Slidell starting from the lake down to St. Bernard Parish. Then there's a section on the Westbank from the Intracoastal Waterway to Plaquemines Parish. Then we have Lake Borgne, The Rigolets, etc.

Last I checked Slidell wasnt even in the city of New Orleans, Lake Borgne which stretches from St.Tamany Parish all the way to Mississippisi almost is not in New Orleans either. As I stated earlier, the sq. miles I quoted were for the city of New Orleans, not the entire land area of southeastern Lousiana. So once again, where are the swamps in the city of New Orleans???????????

Old 06-09-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Last I checked Slidell wasnt even in the city of New Orleans, Lake Borgne which stretches from St.Tamany Parish all the way to Mississippisi almost is not in New Orleans either. As I stated earlier, the sq. miles I quoted were for the city of New Orleans, not the entire land area of southeastern Lousiana. So once again, where are the swamps in the city of New Orleans???????????
I just broke it down for you, either you just want to argue or you can't comprehend. Here's a picture. You see Orleans, well that's New Orleans.
http://www.lamappingproject.com/_images/OrleansParish.jpg (broken link)

That bold line is the city limits, the green is the swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City