Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:44 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
420 and 675 would have made it a lot easier to get around Atlanta, not the Northern ARC, but the original 420.
MY POINT was comparing the two systems with waronxmas. What's yours? If it was effective you wouldn't need 16 lanes in middle of nowhere and the 2 main highways wouldn't share the same road bed through the center of the city. . If it was effective the transportation bill wouldn't be an issue.

You do realize that the majority of people who live in the metro live in the northern counties right? A simple arc from Cobb thru North Fulton to Gwinnett would greatly alleviate traffic congestion on the top half of 285, 75, and 85. And you do realize that 675 isnt a plan or an idea, it was built years ago and all it is really is just an off spur from the bottom part of 285 to Henry County. Yeah that really helped traffic , seeing as how Henry County has about 1/4 the number of residents as Cobb and North Fulton and not even that close to the number of people in Gwinnett

Old 06-09-2010, 02:45 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
I'll have to go with Atlanta to live, but I would love to visit New Orleans.

Culture—New Orleans (history, uniqueness, accent)

Shopping—Atlanta (yeah by a large margin post-katrina)

Restaurants—New Orleans (that's what it's know... I think it has the best food in the nation)

Economy— Atlanta ( yeah tough to beat)

Quality of Life—Atlanta (subjective, but I just like the largeness of Atlanta)

Housing costs—New Orleans (Atlanta can be really expensive like NY or cheap like Mississipi all within city limits, but NO has more consistantly cheaper homes)

Public Transportation— Atlanta (whoever said NO needs a reality check)

Nightlife—New Orleans (that's tough cause Atlanta metro has nicer and larger clubs in many diffrent cities and all the party in NO is on 2 streets, but I like it better that way. I think NO nightlife is the best in the nation, but I haven't been to Miami)

Art galleries— Atlanta ( I just chalk it up that Atlanta is larger)

Weather—Atlanta (pretty temperate climate; few natural disaster)

Parks— no comment

Music scene—Atlanta currently, New Orleans historically (coined from someone else... I agree)

Education—Atlanta for colleges and univeristy's; k-12 they are both not great, but Atlanta is worse

Lifestyle—New Orleans, nice combination of European and Caribbean culture

Old 06-09-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I just broke it down for you, either you just want to argue or you can't comprehend. Here's a picture. You see Orleans, well that's New Orleans.

Answer my question, where are the swamps in New Orleans??????
Not the metro area, not the south eastern portion of the state, but the actual city of New Orleans. Not the Parish, but the city of New Orleans.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:51 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
You do realize that the majority of people who live in the metro live in the northern counties right? A simple arc from Cobb thru North Fulton to Gwinnett would greatly alleviate traffic congestion on the top half of 285, 75, and 85. And you do realize that 675 isnt a plan or an idea, it was built years ago and all it is really is just an off spur from the bottom part of 285 to Henry County. Yeah that really helped traffic , seeing as how Henry County has about 1/4 the number of residents as Cobb and North Fulton and not even that close to the number of people in Gwinnett
LOOK AT A MAP. You see how I-675 and GA 400 line up? Yeah, the plan was for that to be one highway. Langford Pkwy would have kept going and crossed it before ending at the DeKalb curve on I-20 making 420. Freedom Pkwy would have connected downtown to 400/675.

I never said the northern arc wouldn't help.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:53 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Top HBCUs - SoulOfAmerica
HBCU Facts

I can keep going with HBCU rankings or do you want me to google Atlanta Public Schools instead?
And seriously for a city designed for cars, Atlanta iis a poor excuse for transportation. The fact that it has Heavy rail is the only real edge in that category.

Historically Black Colleges and Universities Ranking - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Again 2 Of Atlanta beat out Xavier as top HBCU schools. There are more universites and colleges here than N.O thats a Fact... And N.O is a poor excuse for transportation all together... Airport and All... Ill say it again Atlanta is has more educated and more educational oopprotunites than N.O End Of story..

Old 06-09-2010, 02:54 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Answer my question, where are the swamps in New Orleans??????
Not the metro area, not the south eastern portion of the state, but the actual city of New Orleans. Not the Parish, but the city of New Orleans.
http://www.lamappingproject.com/_images/OrleansParish.jpg (broken link)

Here it is ^ green = swamp. The bold line are the borders of Orleans Parish. Orleans Parish is coterminous with the City of New Orleans i.e. the census.

"End of story" I'm done.
"

Quote:
The city of New Orleans and the parish of Orleans operate as a merged city-parish government.[92]Before the city of New Orleans became co-extensive with Orleans Parish, Orleans Parish was home to numerous smaller communities. The original city of New Orleans was composed of what are now the 1st through 9th wards. The city of Lafayette (including the Garden District) was added in 1852 as the 10th and 11th wards. In 1870, Jefferson City, including Faubourg Bouligny and much of the Audubon and University areas, was annexed as the 12th, 13th, and 14th wards. Algiers, on the west bank of the Mississippi, was also annexed in 1870, becoming the 15th ward. Four years later, Orleans Parish became coextensive with the city of New Orleans, when the city of Carrollton was annexed as the 16th and 17th wards.
-Wikipedia -> New Orleans -> Government.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
LOOK AT A MAP. You see how I-675 and GA 400 line up? Yeah, the plan was for that to be one highway. Langford Pkwy would have kept going and crossed it before ending at the DeKalb curve on I-20 making 420. Freedom Pkwy would have connected downtown to 400/675.

I never said the northern arc wouldn't help.

OMG...How in the world do 400 and 675 line up when one starts on the north side of the city and the other starts like 5 miles south of the city?? And one is a state toll road (400) and the other is apart of the federal interstate system (675). What are you talking about?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:56 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
NOLA's highways and streets are designed so that travel isn't limited to a few main routes. The fact that surface transportation is so poor is the reason yall have 16 lane freeways.
I can think of about 13 different ways get home from my office if I were to drive (I take the train though) that don't even include taking the highway. If I were to add that would give me three additional routes. The difference between New Orleans and Atlanta in that regard is that in New Orleans it is apparent, in Atlanta not so much. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just takes time to learn it.

The reason we have 16 lane highways are two fold:

1.) The large amount of people who use the highways.
2.) In the case of the Connector, the convergence of three heavily used Interstate highways that converge at one point.

Quote:
Not to mention ATL's freeway layout is ineffective. If 420 was built and 675 completed it would be a different story.
Not sure about all of that. In spots it is congested during rush hour, but that's not abnormal for a city with 6 million people. When it's not rush hour it's not hard to get from one side of the core metro to the other in 15 to 20 minutes. Again though, you have to know how to use them to make it most effective.

Quote:
I hear there are plans to finish 675 in a tunnel to 400 though.
Not going to happen. Even if the Mayor, the residents of the neighborhoods that would have to be leveled and pretty much the rest of the city's residents weren't against it already (we are), it's estimated to cost $10 to 15 billion dollars. I don't see the state DOT coming up with that kind of money. Plus it's a stupid idea to save 5 minutes getting to the southside.

Quote:
Plus RTA is connected to the transit authorities in the suburban parishes and ridership is per capita higher I believe.

The 4th line has been around just as long as the others.
MARTA is connected to the suburban transit authorities too, it just doesn't run them. I could walk from my office in Midtown right now and be in Cobb County without ever stepping foot on a MARTA bus or train. Same thing goes for Gwinnett and Douglas county too.

And no, public transportation usage is not higher in the New Orleans city or metro area per capita or in raw numbers than Atlanta. MARTA has the 7th most used subway in the country by ridership and per capita (11th in North America for both), 12th most used bus system, and is the 9th most used system overall when all combined with a daily total ridership of 416,000 (Not that anyone would know that given the bias on C-D against Atlanta).

New Orleans is not ranked on any source I could find, but APTA shows that RTA's daily ridership for buses and streetcars is 39,000.

I do understand though that there are plans to get the streetcar system back on it's feet again, but for now New Orleans is not even close to Atlanta in public transportation realm in any way.

Quote:
BTW, NOLA is going through a citywide street reconstruction project so that isn't the case like it was. I'll will admit that they were rough.
That's good too. I haven't been to New Orleans since the late-90s. I can only imagine with what's happened during the last 5 years what I saw then pales in comparison in what's needed to be done now.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
@ bolded..whats your point? If the northern arc were built, if 385 were ever built, sh*t if MARTA had more stops and actually had rail lines that extended into the burbs it would be a different story. So whats your point?

And lol @ ineffective, yeah Atlanta's layout is about as ineffective as New Orleans being built on land that cant even support its own weight...

LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
Now as far as people saying that NO is more dense than Atlanta I am sorry that's not true. There are some parts of Atlanta that are suburban. However NO can't match the density of Midtown,Downtown, or maybe even Buckhead. There is like over 30 skyscrappers and 50,000 people in like a 5 mile radius in Midtown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City