Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:00 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

Here it is ^ green = swamp. The bold line are the borders of Orleans Parish. Orleans Parish is coterminous with the City of New Orleans i.e. the census.

"End of story" I'm done.
"
So it appears as though your right, I stand corrected. But lets not forget how that initially started....Were you not trying to assert that the black middle class in New Orleans is equal to or greater than Atlanta? And isnt New Orleans 200,000 folks smaller than Atlanta, but yet has a much higher crime rate, much lower % of people with college degrees, and a much, much, much higher unemployment rate?? Swamps have nothing to do with that and more to do with a culture of ignorance that permeates the city.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Now as far as people saying that NO is more dense than Atlanta I am sorry that's not true. There are some parts of Atlanta that are suburban. However NO can't match the density of Midtown,Downtown, or maybe even Buckhead. There is like over 30 skyscrappers and 50,000 people in like a 5 mile radius in Midtown...
I dont think there talking about people,There talking about being able to walk and things being closely packed together... Right now N.O just needs to get back the way it use to be.. The last time I was there was super bowl weekend 2005 before Katrina.. I wasnt all that people made it out to be and it surely didnt give me enough to say I gotta Keep coming back there.... The only thing I like was the Food that was it...

Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
waronxmas, what I'm saying is that transportation in Atlanta isn't efficient for a city it's size vs. New Orleans. I did see the per capita ridership thing linked in this forum, but I don't know how accurate they were.

theATLien, go look at the Zip code densities on census.gov. That's the only way we'll know.

Zone2flyboy, post some stats or give up.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Now as far as people saying that NO is more dense than Atlanta I am sorry that's not true. There are some parts of Atlanta that are suburban. However NO can't match the density of Midtown,Downtown, or maybe even Buckhead. There is like over 30 skyscrappers and 50,000 people in like a 5 mile radius in Midtown...
If you're talking about the area of Midtown just east of the connector....it's 2.5 miles radius

Downtown has 30,000 in a 3 mile radius.

BUT

For the actual inhabited part of New Orleans, it is much more densely developed than Atlanta overall. It is wall to wall development of almost nothing but shotgun houses in the entire city. But really, what does density really get you but bragging rights outside the world of C-D? The way some people act on here, they make it seem like you are better person because of how many people live in X amount of space. LOL

Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
waronxmas, what I'm saying is that transportation in Atlanta isn't efficient for a city it's size vs. New Orleans. I did see the per capita ridership thing linked in this forum, but I don't know how accurate they were.

theATLien, go look at the Zip code densities on census.gov. That's the only way we'll know.

Zone2flyboy, post some stats or give up.

No you post stats to show N.O ranks higher for education. ( which I know you cant.)

This is just for blacks ill have to find something else on entire city

Well in terms of black educational attainment, Atlanta does attract more blacks with at least a bachelor's degree or more than any othe metropolitan area. Lets break it on down shall we...

According to the Status of Metropolitan America study done by Brookings:

African Americans with degrees in metro Atlanta grew by 83% from 2000-2008! Compared to 40% for metro Atlanta overall. The growth rate for blacks holding a master's degree or more grew even more; by an astounding 125% from 2000-2008!

Metro Atlanta has the second highest number of African Americans holding degrees (275,000) after only New York (451,000), recently surpassing Washington, DC (250,000).

One in four (24%) metro Atlantans holding a degree is an African American, compared to 10% in metro New York and 15% in metro DC. Almost one out of ten African American adults hold at least a master's degree in metro Atlanta.

Lastly, 27% of African American adults hold at least a bachelors degree compared to 19% nationwide.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
I don't disagree that public transportation in Atlanta has a lot to work on, but by every measure I could find from usage to coverage Atlanta does a lot better job than New Orleans in that regard no matter the size differences. From what I've seen, public transportation is just not used much in New Orleans for some reason.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:16 PM

The brainiest cities in the United StatesTop 25 cities with more than 250,000 population, ranked by percentage of bachelor's degrees among residents 25 and olderCityStatePercentSeattleWA52.7San FranciscoCA50.1RaleighNC50.1WashingtonDC45.3AustinTX44.1MinneapolisMN43.2AtlantaGA42.4BostonMA40.9San DiegoCA40.4Lexington-FayetteKY39.5DenverCO39.0CharlotteNC38.8PortlandOR38.8St. PaulMN36.5San JoseCA36.1Colorado SpringsCO34.9HonoluluHI34.7OaklandCA33.8PittsburghPA32.3New YorkNY32.2AlbuquerqueNM32.2AnchorageAK32.2OmahaNE31.9Nashville-DavidsonTN31.7ColumbusOH31.4New OrleansLA31.4

Old 06-09-2010, 03:20 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
No you post stats to show N.O ranks higher for education. ( which I know you cant.)

This is just for blacks ill have to find something else on entire city

Well in terms of black educational attainment, Atlanta does attract more blacks with at least a bachelor's degree or more than any othe metropolitan area. Lets break it on down shall we...

According to the Status of Metropolitan America study done by Brookings:

African Americans with degrees in metro Atlanta grew by 83% from 2000-2008! Compared to 40% for metro Atlanta overall. The growth rate for blacks holding a master's degree or more grew even more; by an astounding 125% from 2000-2008!

Metro Atlanta has the second highest number of African Americans holding degrees (275,000) after only New York (451,000), recently surpassing Washington, DC (250,000).

One in four (24%) metro Atlantans holding a degree is an African American, compared to 10% in metro New York and 15% in metro DC. Almost one out of ten African American adults hold at least a master's degree in metro Atlanta.

Lastly, 27% of African American adults hold at least a bachelors degree compared to 19% nationwide.
This is about the QUALITY of education in Atlanta not the amount of educated people in Atlanta. I'm talking public schools and college/universities... Want to keep going blkspice, I mean rudeboy, no wait you have a new one. Is it soulchild?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I don't disagree that public transportation in Atlanta has a lot to work on, but by every measure I could find from usage to coverage Atlanta does a lot better job than New Orleans in that regard no matter the size differences. From what I've seen, public transportation is just not used much in New Orleans for some reason.
I don't know, at least 40% of the city depends on public transportation.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
This is about the QUALITY of education in Atlanta not the amount of educated people in Atlanta. I'm talking public schools and college/universities... Want to keep going blkspice, I mean rudeboy, no wait you have a new one.

Ill give the rankings for you and you need to provide the N.O educational rankings are much higher then Atlantas. who is rudeboy blkspice and all those other people???? Your doing a good job keeping it up only making N.O look worse than it is in those areas. Now these thread will be closed soon for bickering..

Old 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
If you're talking about the area of Midtown just east of the connector....it's 2.5 miles radius

Downtown has 30,000 in a 3 mile radius.

BUT

For the actual inhabited part of New Orleans, it is much more densely developed than Atlanta overall. It is wall to wall development of almost nothing but shotgun houses in the entire city. But really, what does density really get you but bragging rights outside the world of C-D? The way some people act on here, they make it seem like you are better person because of how many people live in X amount of space. LOL
Yeah I think I misread... I saw population and land area and figured they were talking density.

But yeah I have been to NO and it is more developed as far as land usage, but block after block of shotgun houses can't be more dense than block after block of skyrise condos and lofts.

But yeah it doesn't matter the charm of NO is that it has those nice big homes off bourbon and a laid back feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City