Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 01:23 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
LOL @ learn your city's history.
And what is this straight line your speaking of? I would hardly call 400 off of I-85 in Buckhead a straight line with I-285 and I-675 in Forest Park. If your using lines like that let me go ahead and say that Atlanta is direct straight line up to Chicago....lol. Or better yet, New Orleans with Miami.
Interstate 675 (Georgia) | Wikipedia
Quote:
At one time, I-675 was to connect with Georgia 400 in northeast Atlanta. However, within the Perimeter this would have destroyed many neighborhoods including historic Inman Park, and community opposition was fierce. Because the road was unnecessary due to three other existing north/south Interstates across and around the city, the road was stopped by then-governor of Georgia Jimmy Carter in 1975. It also would have connected to Interstate 420, and to Interstate 485 (Presidential Parkway), both of which were also (mostly) never built, for the same reasons. What would have been the highway interchange of this road and I-485 is now the location of the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library
Anything else you need to know?

Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Interstate 675 (Georgia) | Wikipedia

Anything else you need to know?

Thank GOD this thing never happened, Westbank. The neighborhoods it would have destroyed are some of the nicest in the country, imho.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMAZBOI4U View Post
While some of this is true, a lot of it is also GRAVELY exaggerated.

I do agree that New Orleans has a lot more culture/flavor than Atlanta, but you're about the only person I've ever come across who's moved from New Orleans to Atlanta and didn't like Atlanta better. Atlanta is more upscale with a much stronger economy than New Orleans, but I love both cities for different reasons.
[/font]

I said all this to say, there?s good people EVERYWHERE! Maybe not as many kindhearted people as there are in New Orleans per capita, but there are some really nice people out there- even in Atlanta-lol.

I really don't really like comparisons like this, not very fair to me.

I agree.
I will say that there are several New Orleanians who prefer NO, better than ATL. Just as many if not more than those who chose to stay. Up until Katrina, Atlanta wasn't really a top destination for New Orleanians compared to Houston, Oakland, Los Angeles, and San Diego. I that somewhat relates to my "southerness? comment in the Baton Rouge vs New Orleans thread the other day.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Thank GOD this thing never happened, Westbank. The neighborhoods it would have destroyed are some of the nicest in the country, imho.
Thank God a lot of freeways weren't built. They almost built a 40ft high elevated expressway right in front of Jackson Square and Cafe Du Monde.

I-675 isn't completely dead yet though.
Quote:
.As of 2010, the idea of connecting the two has been resurrected, being put on an official list of GDOT priorities. This would extend I-675 north to I-20 with a surface road, then go underground with a tunnel. This would destroy some poorer minority neighborhoods and industrial areas to the south. The tunnel would protect the higher-income areas with denser populations north of I-20, however there would still be ventilation buildings blowing carbon monoxide and other exhaust fumes, further worsening the city's smog and possibly causing a health hazard to those living nearby, or an eyesore where smokestacks rise high above neighborhoods. The two existing highway interchanges (675 at 285 and 400 at 85) would also take property for expansion, and one or two new interchanges with I-20 would also do the same. Because GDOT wants these to be public/private partnerships, such an agreement could also block public transportation improvements in the corridor as "competition"

Old 06-14-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Thank God a lot of freeways weren't built. They almost built a 40ft high elevated expressway right in front of Jackson Square and Cafe Du Monde.

Yeah, I remember that. I also believe I-10 was supposed to take a different route than it eventually did.

The I-675 thing will NEVER happen, though. These hoods are some of the most activist in the region, and lawsuits would fly back and forth for years. This has been proposed by a complete moron that is running for Gov here, and the thing would cost about as much as the Big Dig.

Trust me when I tell you that there would be a complete meltdown here if this thing goes past the proposal stage.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, I remember that. I also believe I-10 was supposed to take a different route than it eventually did.

The I-675 thing will NEVER happen, though. These hoods are some of the most activist in the region, and lawsuits would fly back and forth for years. This has been proposed by a complete moron that is running for Gov here, and the thing would cost about as much as the Big Dig.

Trust me when I tell you that there would be a complete meltdown here if this thing goes past the proposal stage.
It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Have started discussing the hi-speed rail thing in the ATL area yet?

Old 06-14-2010, 01:59 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:

It got lost in the bruhaha earlier in the thread, but there is zero political support for this plan in the City. The only people really pushing it are the GDOT and Republican Gubernatorial candidate John Oxedine. It's a non-starter for not only the costs but also for the fact that the City of Atlanta owns most of that land they want to build on. But even a worst case scenario where the State just goes ahead with it anyway, we'll have grannies and nuns chained to fences if need be to stop it. That's why Freedom Parkway stops at Ponce and Moreland.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see what happens.
Have started discussing the hi-speed rail thing in the ATL area yet?
Yes, but the State has been slow to catch up with our neighbors in NC & FL. Let's just say the current administration here would rather build super-wide bass fishing ramps than plan for the future.

Thankfully, every single elected official here is up for re-election this year, or isn't running - and our tool of a Gov is nearing the end of his last term.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It got lost in the bruhaha earlier in the thread, but there is zero political support for this plan in the City. The only people really pushing it are the GDOT and Republican Gubernatorial candidate John Oxedine. It's a non-starter for not only the costs but also for the fact that the City of Atlanta owns most of that land they want to build on. But even a worst case scenario where the State just goes ahead with it anyway, we'll have grannies and nuns chained to fences if need be to stop it. That's why Freedom Parkway stops at Ponce and Moreland.
The northern end never sounded feasible to begin with. Even with a tunnel, you would have issues where it meets I-85 and 400, but what about the southside?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Absolutely. The mayor is against it, and the neighborhoods it would impact are vigilant, connected and wealthy enough to fight it for years.

John Oxendine has it out for the City, but even if this fool wins somehow it simply will not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City