Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I'm talking in terms of development and you do know that 3/4 of that 350 sq mi is water right? Let's compare zip code densities between New Orleans and Atlanta. Anybody that has been to either city can tell you that NOLA is definitely compacted compared to ATL. NOLA's suburbs have higher avg. densities than the city of Atlanta so...

You sure about that?? For someone whose first comment towards me was about over exaggerating you sure do allot of that yourself..
3/4???? Your sure about that?

Land area- 180.6 miles
Water- 169.7 sq. miles

Either way the 180.6 square miles is bigger than the 132.6 Atlanta has...
And even still to try and put crime in Atlanta even in the same ballpark as New Orleans is an even bigger stretch
New Orleans has 200,000 less people but still manages to put up crime stats that dwarf anything in Atlanta

Atlanta with 200,000 more people had 80 murders in 2009, New Orleans had 179.
But yeah your right, Im sure thats due to the large black upper class in New Orleans huh?? lol
Lets not even touch on the pre Katrina years when New Orleans was putting up numbers well into the 300's

Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:

Wow, I haven't been over there in a while. Interesting.
This was about a year ago, but I was a bit taken aback especially since Oakwood was always one of those places that I would go to get away from all of the craziness on the other side of the river. Who knows, maybe there was something going on that weekend, but it definitely wasn't the Oakwood that I remember (peoplewise).

Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
There are more educational opprotunities and better schools here In Atlanta... Thats a fact. There are more people in Atlanta that hold degrees than N.O thats fact. None of the schools in N.O are top HBCUs All of Atlantas HBCUs beat out N.O in school rankings With Spealman being Number 1.. Thats why I said for educational opprotunities Atlanta sweeps.. ANd with with Transportation thats enough to sweep N.O.. LIke I said before Partying festivals and Food Are the only things. Sorry Westbanknola. N.O can not compete with Atlanta. It will sweep the floor in almost every catergory. YOu guys stick to what your good at Tourism food super bowls essence and jazz festivals etc.. Leave everything else to Atlanta...
http://www.soulofamerica.com/index.p...0,2305,0,0,1,0
http://thinkhbcu.org/hbcu_facts.htm

I can keep going with HBCU rankings or do you want me to google Atlanta Public Schools instead?
And seriously for a city designed for cars, Atlanta iis a poor excuse for transportation. The fact that it has Heavy rail is the only real edge in that category.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 06-09-2010 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
If it is a choice between Atlanta and New Orleans, then I pick Atlanta. There are many things I don't like about metro Atlanta in general, but I have been to New Orleans. For some reason, I can't see myself living in New Orleans.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
You sure about that?? For someone whose first comment towards me was about over exaggerating you sure do allot of that yourself..
3/4???? Your sure about that?

Land area- 180.6 miles
Water- 169.7 sq. miles

Either way the 180.6 square miles is bigger than the 132.6 Atlanta has...
And even still to try and put crime in Atlanta even in the same ballpark as New Orleans is an even bigger stretch
New Orleans has 200,000 less people but still manages to put up crime stats that dwarf anything in Atlanta

Atlanta with 200,000 more people had 80 murders in 2009, New Orleans had 179.
But yeah your right, Im sure thats due to the large black upper class in New Orleans huh?? lol
Lets not even touch on the pre Katrina years when New Orleans was putting up numbers well into the 300's

Dude half of that 180 is swamp. LOOK AT A MAP. Only 1/4 of the NO city limits is inhabitable.
Didn't I clearly say that as far as crime it's the same problem, but with different numbers? I told you what NOLA's main problem was, then asked what was Atlanta's. You didn't even respond.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Dude half of that 180 is swamp. LOOK AT A MAP. Only 1/4 of the NO city limits is inhabitable.
Didn't I clearly say that as far as crime it's the same problem, but with different numbers? I told you what NOLA's main problem was, then asked what was Atlanta's. You didn't even respond.

So New Orleans has swamps in the inner city now??? Not Honey Island or St Bernard Parrish 60 miles outside the city but in the inner city?? C'mon dude seriously? Because I didnt get sq miles for metro New Orleans, that was for the city itself.

And of course Atlanta has the same problems with crime. In any city in America most of the crime is drug related in the lower income areas. But if New Orleans has allot more crime with allot less people wouldnt that say something in regards to the overall number and prevalance of crime in the city? New Orleans problem in comparison to Atlanta is that there is a much larger black lower class in the N.O. Point blank, period, end of story.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
So New Orleans has swamps in the inner city now??? Not Honey Island or St Bernard Parrish 60 miles outside the city but in the inner city?? C'mon dude seriously? Because I didnt get sq miles for metro New Orleans, that was for the city itself.

And of course Atlanta has the same problems with crime. In any city in America most of the crime is drug related in the lower income areas. But if New Orleans has allot more crime with allot less people wouldnt that say something in regards to the overall number and prevalance of crime in the city? New Orleans problem in comparison to Atlanta is that there is a much larger black lower class in the N.O. Point blank, period, end of story.
Look at the map, You'll will see that the city of New Orleans contains half of Lake Pontchartrain, the swamps to the east and the bays of the gulf.

No, the story is far from over. Post some stats with % of lower class blacks in either city.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:02 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Public Transportation—New Orleans due to their extensive streetcar network
Extensive street car network?

There are only 3 street car routes in all of New Orleans. MARTA has a subway. Guess which one has 25 times the daily ridership?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Look at the map, You'll will see that the city of New Orleans contains half of Lake Pontchartrain, the swamps to the east and the bays of the gulf.

No, the story is far from over. Post some stats with % of lower class blacks in either city.

LOL..... thats why the 350.2 sq. miles is broken down to include land and water.

Like I said before of that 350.2 sq. miles, 180.6 is land and the other 169.6 is water. Either figure is larger than the 136 or something like that sq. miles that Atlanta has. So unless you have something that can dispute the US Census then it appears that this story is indeed over

Old 06-09-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Extensive street car network?

There are only 3 street car routes in all of New Orleans. MARTA has a subway. Guess which one has 25 times the daily ridership?
Canal-Cemetaries
St. Charles
N. Carrollton
Riverfront

lol, that's 4 with 3 coming. Atlanta still wins that.
Streets, highways, and buses, we win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City