Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is better?
Atlanta 152 53.52%
New Orleans 132 46.48%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 02:13 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah...just being in the two metro areas it is EASY to see the development differences. New Orleans is a pretty compact mid size metro with less amenities but all fairly easy to get to and concentrated. Atlanta is super super spread out giant metro with more amenities but everything is allover the place and you'll spend a lot of drive time doing things.
New Orleans having over 800,000 in 180 sq mi means NO is basically just the a core on most accounts of US cities, that would be just the city limit. The only cities that top that is NY, Chicago, SF, LA, Boston, and Philly that is it.
I think DC, Seattle and Minneapolis is in same range of density in 180 sq mi.

It's interesting so the way I look at New Orleans now is having a core like DC but a overall metro suburbia like little Rock or Augusta.

city limits

New York 304.8 sq mi
Chicago 227.2 sq mi
LA 468.670 sq mi

The reason why I was tripping because No major US metro over million has a UA less than 300 sq mi beside New Orleans. If New Orleans urban area is 800K with a total metro 1.1 million means, New Orleans can be view as a 197 sq mi large city of 800K a Tire up, but then with all that undeveloped land in it's suburban parishes, it's like Augusta, little Rock or Jackson by suburban population. A large fish in a puddle of a metropolitan.

On the flip side you can't say Atlanta is super spread out Atlanta, Houston, DFW, Philly, Boston and DC all have a population some where between 3.3 million to 4.3 million in 1,800 sq mi. Atlanta just doesn't have a city core that dense. But in 1,800 sq mi it has more density then then majority of US metros and not too far off from it's peers density that's including Philly and Boston in 1,800 sq mi.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:16 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
New Orleans having over 800,000 in 180 sq mi means NO is basically just the a core on most accounts of US cities, that would be just the city limit. The only cities that top that is NY, Chicago, SF, LA, Boston, and Philly that is it.

It's interesting so the way I look at New Orleans now is having a core like DC but a overall metro suburbia like little Rock or Augusta.

city limits

New York 304.8 sq mi
Chicago 227.2 sq mi
LA 468.670 sq mi

The reason why I was tripping because No major US metro over million has a UA less than 300 sq mi beside New Orleans. If New Orleans urban area is 800K with a total metro 1.1 million means, New Orleans can be view as a 197 sq mi large city of 800K a Tire up, but then with all that undeveloped land in it's suburban parishes, it's like Augusta, little Rock or Jackson by suburban population. A large fish in a puddle of a metropolitan.

On the flip side you can't say Atlanta is super spread out Atlanta, Houston, DFW, Philly, Boston and DC all have a population some where between 3.3 million to 4.3 million in 1,800 sq mi. Atlanta just doesn't have a city core that dense. But in 1,800 sq mi it has more density then then majority of US metros and not too far off from it's peers density that's including Philly and Boston in 1,800 sq mi.
The urban area of New Orleans is basically an island encircled by marsh on 3 sides and a lake on the north. The only really sprawlish area is on the north shore of the lake.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:

city limits

New York 304.8 sq mi
Chicago 227.2 sq mi
LA 468.670 sq mi

Good post, but it also seems the amenities in the Atlanta metro are spread allover the place also. For instance Chinese American stuff out around Chamblee, all the things in Sandy Springs, over in Decatur, even the city is tiered in 3 virtual "DT" style areas with downtown, then midtown, then buckhead.
Trying to go to a cool area like Little Five Points you would pretty much need to drive to, as the public transit going there still leaves you a good 15-20 minute walk away from it through a suburban style neighborhood and park. Same thing with East Atlanta.

Just a few things to point out.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Good post, but it also seems the amenities in the Atlanta metro are spread allover the place also. For instance Chinese American stuff out around Chamblee, all the things in Sandy Springs, over in Decatur, even the city is tiered in 3 virtual "DT" style areas with downtown, then midtown, then buckhead.
Trying to go to a cool area like Little Five Points you would pretty much need to drive to, as the public transit going there still leaves you a good 15-20 minute walk away from it through a suburban style neighborhood and park. Same thing with East Atlanta.

Just a few things to point out.
Many cities Are multi polar but I see your point.

The station in Inman Park is about 10 mins away from L5P

Marta Also do have bus
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile...20main2011.pdf

And depending of where your coming from assuming DT, the neighborhoods you would have to go though to get to L5P or East Atlanta are,

Sweet Auburn
Old 4 ward
Inman Park
Cabbagetown
Reynoldstown
Grant Park

All of which the majority of homes are on small lots, and don't have driveways.

Intown Atlanta Tour in Under 2 Mins, Cleo's Aprilia Scooter Cam - YouTube

Cruisin' in Atlanta [HD] - YouTube

Old 10-30-2011, 05:15 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:

city limits

New York 304.8 sq mi
Chicago 227.2 sq mi
LA 468.670 sq mi

I honestly do not understand what you are trying to say.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I honestly do not understand what you are trying to say.
I saying two things

No other Metro over a million have urban area as small as New Orleans, New Orleans urban area is small enough and dense enough to be view like city.

Augusta city is nearly 200,000, metro over 500,000

New Orleans urban area is over 800,000, metro 1.1 million

because of how small New Orleans urban area is 197 sq mi like a city, most of suburban area is like a Augusta suburban tire ring. just 300,000 over counties and parishes.

Again New Orleans having 800,000 in 197 sq mi like a city, I know it's not "and I'm counting the actual New Orleans suburbs" but you know on city data how we are always debating what the true city, what a measure of region and etc. New Orleans is like a 800,000 city, by many cities city limits. A large fish in a puddle of a metropolitan.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
I saying two things

No other Metro over a million have urban area as small as New Orleans, New Orleans urban area is small enough and dense enough to be view like city.

Augusta city is nearly 200,000, metro over 500,000

New Orleans urban area is over 800,000, metro 1.1 million

because of how small New Orleans urban area is 197 sq mi like a city, most of suburban area is like a Augusta suburban tire ring. just 300,000 over counties and parishes.

Again New Orleans having 800,000 in 197 sq mi like a city, I know it's not "and I'm counting the actual New Orleans suburbs" but you know on city data how we are always debating what the true city, what a measure of region and etc. New Orleans is like a 800,000 city, by many cities city limits. A large fish in a puddle of a metropolitan.
Oh, ok. Well yeah it's like 800,000 crammed into one place and then another 300,000 sparsely spread out across the middle of nowhere.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
I'll go with New Orleans as the better place to visit and Atlanta as the better place to work and live!!!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,952 times
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up and props to New Orleans, because I was confused when I read that seriously, that's interesting all that is continuous, that all the Parish seats and cities around New Orleans abut each other to somehow come out less than 200 sq mi. Another thing I was looking about was New Orleans being the whole Orleans Parish, I knew not all the suburban parish were populated. I thinking maybe it did hold a million before Katrina in 2000. The data the posters was posting was base on 2000 UA which would explain the 800K population now.

Half of Atlanta urban area is not in cities but counties, And county seats are in middle of each county, many of them came up about the same time of Atlanta as satellite towns rather suburbs. Most areas between cities are inhabitable in which population came later and Georgia has strict annexing and incorporation laws, so a large number of people live directly under the county Gov. Like wise not all the population around metro Atlanta is cram against Atlanta.

But that caught me off guard that the Parishes around Orleans, are basically large nature blanks, and that their entire population and county seats were planned off there approximation to New Orleans.
That map clearly omitted Paulding and Forsyth counties, both of which are clearly suburban. It also omitted Walton County, the western portion of which is suburban.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
That map clearly omitted Paulding and Forsyth counties, both of which are clearly suburban. It also omitted Walton County, the western portion of which is suburban.
I know.. and don't why that is? ) but it's the best map I can find that show the cities and counties across the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City