Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
New Orleans 81 49.39%
Baltimore 83 50.61%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
When I went to visit Baltimore to see my family, they took me to boring places. Some of the city is very ghetto.
I have to agree with on that. the Majority of the city is not. Please dont tell me they took you to the harbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
I have to agree with on that. the Majority of the city is not. Please dont tell me they took you to the harbor.
They took me to this boring ass mall, we went to downtown and to the harbor.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 AM

Next time tell them to get you away from that tourist crap. Tell them to take you where the locals go

Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 PM

35 posts, read 144,002 times
I never thought I'd compliment any roads in Louisiana, but I actually preferred New Orleans' little section of I-10 to Baltimore's section of I-95. Much simpler to navigate, and the southern drivers are a bit easier to work with than what I went through. I may be letting some of my DC frustrations bleed over to Bmore, but I know it wasn't a picnic there.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
All New Orleans need is another category 5 hurricane to hit straight up like it did in 05.
What flooded the city was the crappy levees broke; not the hurricane. The city actually fared well from the hurricane; the flooding didn't come until later. Also, it was a Cat 3 not a cat 5 and any city is doomed (including your precious NYC) if hit by a cat 5.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:56 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Next time tell them to get you away from that tourist crap. Tell them to take you where the locals go
I'm a bit ignorant on the real Baltimore. Where do the locals go? I'd like to know for next time I visit.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'm a bit ignorant on the real Baltimore. Where do the locals go? I'd like to know for next time I visit.
Depends on what you're into. It's something for everybody.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times

Old 04-26-2017, 10:48 PM

690 posts, read 1,006,664 times
- Life style
Tie
New Orleans for its number of festive events and Baltimore for easy access to other social hub cities and local offerings/events.

- Economy overall
I would think Baltimore for overall, even though I know NO port/tourism is a big economic engine for the city.

- Education
Baltimore for higher education

- Metropolitan Area population
Baltimore

- City Area population
Baltimore

- Professional Sports
Tie

- College Sports
New Orleans probably, Baltimore identifies more with its pro teams still a lot of Marylanders in general follow college lacrosse and the University of Maryland football and basketball teams.

- Cityscape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings)
Overall I would say Baltimore, has a decent growing skyline/waterfront and nice preserved neighborhoods. NO has a nice french quarter but the downtown and skyline needs an update. The most recent building of a significant height was constructed in 2010 at 270 ft. Also not sure if the Plaza Tower is still vacant, I heard it was sold a while back?

- Public Transportation
Not sure maybe Baltimore for its number of bus lines and train service.

- Major Interstates and other roads
Not sure how to compare the two never drove on any major interstate in NO so just going off of what I know. Baltimore is well connected I would say the following interstate either begin or passes through or near the city. I-95 goes through Baltimore connecting it with all other major cities on the east coast. I-695 the Baltimore beltway also connects all of the suburbs in the county around the city. I-83 connects downtown Baltimore to Harrisburg, PA. I-895 bypasses I-95 and connect again with I-95 in Baltimore City (north tip) and Howard County (south tip), I-70 connects Baltimore with Western Maryland in the mountains. Maryland route 295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) is also a major connector with the CSA as it runs parallel to I-95 connecting Baltimore and DC.

- Airport
Don't know I do not fly a lot. Baltimore has one international airport and another one for access in the CSA.

- Housing
Baltimore

- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..)
New Orleans

- Proximity to other locations
Baltimore

- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate)
Tie both cities showed growth in its economies post recession.

- Art galleries
Tie

- Music scene
New Orleans

- Natural scenery
Tie both near large bodies of water

- Museums
Not sure Tie

- Parks
Tie

- Shopping
Tie

- Climate (which you prefer, and why?)
Baltimore you can get all four seasons

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 04-26-2017 at 10:58 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 06:21 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

Not great, but slightly cleaner in 2016: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3220...2!8i6656?hl=en
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City